• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Leigh-on-Sea Malt Teasers Whisky Tasting Society

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
A couple of months ago, my partner Dawn, her brother Mark and I decided we wanted to learn more about whisky tasting.

Mark has set up a website here

http://www.leighmaltteasers.co.uk/about_us_2.html

This Friday, 4th Jan 2013 at 8pm in The Broker pub, Leigh Rd, Leigh-on-Sea, we will be having our inaugural meeting. It will just be a chat and discussion about how we see it working, costs, frequency of meetings, etc. It will all be very informal and there'll be no official tastings going on but of course, it's a pub so you can drink what you want!

If you want to come along, just message me or comment on here so I know roughly the numbers. I'm going to try and reserve an area of the pub.

Doesn't it all taste the same - ie, disgusting.

heathen.

Sounds like a good idea Mark, I'm jealous! There's a whisky tasting club at a good pub in Sheffield but I've always been a little scared to go. I saw them once and it looked a bit cliquey. Best to keep it as open and accessible as possible I'd suggest.

heathen.

Sounds like a good idea Mark, I'm jealous! There's a whisky tasting club at a good pub in Sheffield but I've always been a little scared to go. I saw them once and it looked a bit cliquey. Best to keep it as open and accessible as possible I'd suggest.

Haha, perhaps I need to be educated :winking:

Doesn't it all taste the same - ie, disgusting.

If your experience with whisky is stuff like Haig, Claymore or Teachers taken neat without water then I'd probably agree.

However, a Tomatin 18 year old or Highland Park 21 year old single malt are different things altogether! Pure nectar mate.

If your experience with whisky is stuff like Haig, Claymore or Teachers taken neat without water then I'd probably agree.

However, a Tomatin 18 year old or Highland Park 21 year old single malt are different things altogether! Pure nectar mate.

I had a bottle of something in the cupboard (Teachers maybe?) for years that occasionally came out when I made a Whiskey Sour (which I have to say is lovely) but I usually steer clear. Maybe as I said before I do need an education!

To be fair I don't mind Teachers, it's a lot better than Bells and Grants and personally I prefer it to Famous Grouse. It'd a good cheap blend to have in the cupboard.

To be fair I don't mind Teachers, it's a lot better than Bells and Grants and personally I prefer it to Famous Grouse. It'd a good cheap blend to have in the cupboard.

Anything like that I call mixing whiskies... I buy them to put with coke or ginger ale/wine.

He's right MK, a relative of mine once let me have a drop of his 25 year old Glenmorangie. Never tasted anything like it since, it was smooth, and full of flavour!

Still can't believe I spent a week in Scotland a few years back, and didn't try any whisky at all! :blush:

I had a bottle of 21 year Old Pulteney.

It didn't last long.

I occasionally frequent a shop called J D Wadsworths in St. Ives Cambridgeshire and they have bottles distilled in the 1930s that go for a couple of grand.

I had a bottle of 21 year Old Pulteney.

It didn't last long.

I occasionally frequent a shop called J D Wadsworths in St. Ives Cambridgeshire and they have bottles distilled in the 1930s that go for a couple of grand.
I got a bottle of 12 year Old Poultney for Christmas from my father in law. very very nice. I heard the 21 year old is supposed to be fantastic.

My curiousity has been tweaked. Desperate to try some proper whiskey now. Grrr, why couldn't you have posted this before christmas :angry: :winking:

I'd recommend a group viewing of Ken Loach's The Angels' Share.

As it happens I'm quite partial to an occasional malt myself.Incidentally,Glenmorangie was apparently Graham Greene's favourite tipple.(Or am I confusing that with Glenfiddich).:dizzy:

Sorry I won't be able to make Friday as 1)I'm staying up in town 2)I'm going to the theatre.
Good luck though and keep posting updates on your website.:thumbsup:

I went to uni with one of the descendants of the founders of the Laphroaig distillery. Laphroaig is a fantastic taste - peaty. If you want smooth, Bowmore's a good bet.

I went to uni with one of the descendants of the founders of the Laphroaig distillery. Laphroaig is a fantastic taste - peaty. If you want smooth, Bowmore's a good bet.

I had a nip of Laphroaig once, and couldn't finish it. For those of you who don't know, think along the lines of drinking a measure of mud.

Back