• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Squirrel and G man

Was anyone involved in this terrifying incident?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Beachgoers struck by large wave Two people were treated in hospital after a large wave struck a busy beach washing several people out to sea in Essex on Sunday afternoon. Southend inshore lifeboat, Southend Coastguard and Southend Council patrol craft conducted a two-hour rescue operation at Bell Wharf, Old Leigh. Five people were treated for swallowing water and diesel, and a man and a child were taken to hospital. It is believed two tug boats starting their engines caused the wave. A Thames Coastguard spokesman said: "We received a 999 call from a member of the public concerned for the safety of numerous persons in difficulty in the wash of two tug boats. "The two tugs were both inshore and they caused a very heavy wash on the beach which washed people out." He said although 10 people were rescued from the water it is not thought all of them were washed out to sea, but that some had swum out to see what was going on and got into difficulties. The Marine Accident Investigation Branch has launched an inquiry into the incident.

Swallowing water and diesel? Each to their own I guess.

First I've heard about it to be honest. Didn't realise people actually swum in the estuary

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ June 27 2005,15:28)]Swallowing water and diesel?  Each to their own I guess.

First I've heard about it to be honest.  Didn't realise people actually swum in the estuary
I imagine the diesel was swallowed in an attempt to dilute the seawater.

ps I'm amazed you've never seen people out swimming in the estuary. Have you ever been to Southend in summer?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ June 27 2005,15:43)]ps I'm amazed you've never seen people out swimming in the estuary. Have you ever been to Southend in summer?
I've lived in sight of the seafront for 22 summers! Seem to remember the odd old boy swimming in the estuary but haven't seen one of them for years and everyone else just seems to stay away. That said, I tend to avoid the pier when it's really warm so that may explain some of my swimmer-blindness

I was in Leigh on Sunday afternoon watching the Folk Festival with some mates. There were loads of police cars, Coastguards and Ambulances that went past us. Hope they're all alright now though.

And apparantly, one of the Police cars who sped down Leigh, didnt look where he was going, because it hit a woman and knocked her baby out of her arms. Both of them were injured, not sure how bad they were.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ June 28 2005,05:01)]I'd love to have seen what constituted a 'large wave' in the Estuary.

Obviously not good that it endangered people but if anyone's got a picture please post it.
Don't you start going all Javea Shrimper on us
biggrin.gif

Our waves might be $%&* and our weather not as warm but it costs us next to nothing to go and watch our team when and where we want.
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ June 28 2005,13:09)]Our waves might be $%&* and our weather not as warm but it costs us next to nothing to go and watch our team when and where we want.
cool.gif
Exactly, case closed!!

cool.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ June 28 2005,05:01)]I'd love to have seen what constituted a 'large wave' in the Estuary.

Obviously not good that it endangered people but if anyone's got a picture please post it.
Meh; our waves are bigger than yours...

Our wave

oops.gif

wow.gif

That kicks arse. I'd love to have been able to do that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ June 28 2005,13:09)]
[b said:

Don't you start going all Javea Shrimper on us
biggrin.gif

Our waves might be $%&* and our weather not as warm but it costs us next to nothing to go and watch our team when and where we want.  
cool.gif
Same for me too ORM you cheeky bugger.

I support the West Coast Eagles Aussie rules team who are currently the best team in Australia, costs only $20 ( 8 quid ) a ticket, i park outside for $5 ( 2 pound 20p ), i get my beer delivered to my seat at $4 ( 1 pound 80p ).
All this at a 35,000 crowd.

Hell, who am i kidding. I'd rather be in the Shrimpers bar
mad.gif

My waves are still bigger than yours though
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ June 28 2005,14:34)]That kicks arse. I'd love to have been able to do that.
As an experienced surfer myself i know the allure of wanting to get such a wave and the experience it would give you, however my experience surfing in big wave areas ( Margaret River Region, Western Australia ) also tells me that they would kill the likes of us no problems.

Its amazing here in Perth how little the tourists understand the power of the oceans, Scarborough ( WA ) life saving club statistics reveal that all drownings at WA beaches last year were tourists.
Wierdly though, all shark attacks at WA beaches in history have been on locals.
down.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (perth shrimper @ June 29 2005,03:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ June 28 2005,14:34)]That kicks arse. I'd love to have been able to do that.
As an experienced surfer myself i know the allure of wanting to get such a wave and the experience it would give you, however my experience surfing in big wave areas ( Margaret River Region, Western Australia ) also tells me that they would kill the likes of us no problems.

Its amazing here in Perth how little the tourists understand the power of the oceans, Scarborough ( WA ) life saving club statistics reveal that all drownings at WA beaches last year were tourists.
Wierdly though, all shark attacks at WA beaches in history have been on locals.  
down.gif
I've never surfed before in my life and can imagine just how difficult it is but still looks great fun.

Recently, on holiday, I did scuba diving which was awesome. We've now booked a holiday for next year in Egypt so I can my family can become qualifed scuba divers. Really looking forward to it.

Excellent stuff, have a great time.
I don't have my license for Scuba but i have friends who are instructors and have taken me for a 'try-dive' before.
Prefer surfing but i had a good experience and i'll definitely do it again

Back