• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

united we stand

Life President⭐
Re Ryan Lennard

Every match thread/pre match thread/ why are we playing crap type thread keeps stating phrases along the lines of ' this shows why Lenny is never droppped by Brown'.

I like Lenny and agree that he is our best midfield player, but some of the posts seem to suggest that he is the answer to everything and when he returns eveything will be fine . This seems a little Over the top . Some posters seem to have forgotten that our worst run of three succsessive heavy defeats was with Lenny , and that we destroyed Burton without him.

I look forward to Lenny being back in the team and I hope it spurs us on but he isn't the messiah ( thought I would line that one up) and I think some are expecting too much from just one player.

Do others think when he returns everything will suddenly be great again ?

Is Lenny likely to return before the end of the season ?

No.

And United We Stand is correct - Lenny alone is not the saviour of Southend United ............. but then it is a team game and in a tight league packed with capable players and managers it takes more than one individiual to win, draw or even lose a game - particularly in midfield where it is about getting the right mix/blend of players.

I have thought for some time that Leonard is on the list of "assets that could be sold if the right offer came in". I don't want to see him go but I do think at times that he could hold his own at a higher level.

He's been out for 4 weeks now, and the initial diagnosis was 8-10 weeks (IIRC).

Now I think Lenny's a pretty fit lad, so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back at the beginning of April....

Saying we 'destroyed' Burton is a little over the top.

Leonard is a key player in midfield and does so much work defensively and going forward. None of the other midfielders have reached anywhere near the same standard he produces which I think is shown by the fact our midfield seems to change after every game.

Saying we 'destroyed' Burton is a little over the top.

Leonard is a key player in midfield and does so much work defensively and going forward. None of the other midfielders have reached anywhere near the same standard he produces which I think is shown by the fact our midfield seems to change after every game.

I agree with you entirely on Lenny. As for the destroyed bit, you maybe right but if I could destroy a football team in a competitive match then Burton would be top of my list.

This is what really frustrates me, the only one we know who is capable of this is Timlin, and his head has clearly been messed by something/one. I believe Wordsworth is capable but he's had such an inconsistent and injury hit time with us, it's been hard to tell. Atkinson and Deegan don't have this ability.

This is what really frustrates me, the only one we know who is capable of this is Timlin, and his head has clearly been messed by something/one. I believe Wordsworth is capable but he's had such an inconsistent and injury hit time with us, it's been hard to tell. Atkinson and Deegan don't have this ability.

I think you need to spend a few games watching just Atkinson, I think you will be surprised how much work he gets through. Another player whose worth isn't noticed until he isn't in the starting 11

I think you need to spend a few games watching just Atkinson, I think you will be surprised how much work he gets through. Another player whose worth isn't noticed until he isn't in the starting 11

I would never doubt Atkinson's work rate, it's quite prodigious, and he deserves his place in the team for that alone, but he doesn't often find the killer pass nor start off attacking moves. This is where Lenny is missed.

Atkinson's work-rate is very good but he's a move killer in attack. He sucks momentum out of moves with his indecision and having to take six touches each time. It just makes it too easy to defend. And then he just passes it sideways. Even when he runs at defenders (and he's a decent dribbler) it's head down.

Compare that to Timlin who knows what he wants to do with the ball before he gets it. Timlin will make a first time pass which stretches the opposition as it doesn't allow them the time to regroup. He gets the ball to do the running.

Having the Duracell bunny in your team is great when you're defending, but leaves the team unbalanced when you attack. For me Atkinson's a squad player a best: you know what you've got with him and he'll do a defensive job, but boy does he slow down the midfield when in possession. Add in Deegan as well and good luck creating anything that isn't just knocking it long for Barnett.

I fully appreciate Atkinson's work rate and frequently comment on it in match threads, but as RHB says, he doesn't make that killer pass, rarely shoots from distance, can't start moves off and also doesn't track back anywhere near as effectively.

Edit - one of those rare occasions when Yorkie Blue and I actually agree! :winking:

I'm sure the people that are saying we badly miss Lenny, are the same people that were asking why he was never dropped !:blush:

I read this thread title and thought it was about me.

I'm happy to play CM if need be, I could probably run for 3 mins, get sent off for thumping the inadequate ref and then go to the spread for a beer

Back