• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rabbloke

Coach
Just read a good post from Kenny about his memories of the last seven years and it he referred to the loss of Leon Cort and the Constantine fellow. Which was the greater loss? Take your pick. In Constantine we had found our first 20+ scorer for some time and many felt that loss would hurt our chances. To be honest, as I posted at the time he left, I never felt he would replicate the feat. It was a one off. A bit like Clive Allen and his 49 for Spurs. Sometimes a player gets a season when everything he hits it finds the back of the net and yet as you watch him you just feel it ain't going to happen again.
I know a lot of fans liked Leon Cort but I always called him 'comedy'. For all his attributes and I know he has done well for himself, I never found him to be commanding. Commanding is something Spinner and Barrett have introduced into the side and its welcome. Indeed, in the defence, I have rarely seen a centre-back so poor at getting his head to the ball as Cort. I sometimes felt he shied away from it. Its not as though he had to jump! Look how chuffed we were when he bagged a few goals for us, well Barrett has put that into the shade.

I am more than happy with Spinner and Barrett but lets not put down Leon Cort. IMO he was a good servant to the club and me personally am delighted that he is doing very well with Hull.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ May 29 2005,13:43)]I am more than happy with Spinner and Barrett but lets not put down Leon Cort. IMO he was a good servant to the club and me personally am delighted that he is doing very well with Hull.
Certainly not questioning the fact that he was a loyal servant or that he fulfilled the role to the best of his ability merely that he lacked something that now we have found it was more than an integral contribution to this seasons success. I too wish him well but I don't miss him and I doubt we would have gone so far with him.

I disagree with Cort. Hewas comfortably the best player in the team for most of his time with us. He may not have looked commanding in the same way that he muscles players off the ball but in the air, no-one ever beat him. Hugely pleased to see him successful at Hull.

Constantine, well, different story. One good season constituted a LOT of bad games for us. Looking at the montage of his goals that Peterborough put together on their website, it was also clear that he got a lot of good fortune. Also, hardly contributed anything apart from goals.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to him for being part of the team that kept us up but, frankly, I'm not even 100% htat the club wanted to keep him, let alone him being in a position to pull the strings. I worry for Torquay fans who reckon he'll tear League 2 defences apart. If he does, great, but I feel their hopes will be dashed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ May 29 2005,13:27)]Just read a good post from Kenny about his memories of the last seven years and it he referred to the loss of Leon Cort and the Constantine fellow. Which was the greater loss? Take your pick. In Constantine we had found our first 20+ scorer for some time and many felt that loss would hurt our chances. To be honest, as I posted at the time he left, I never felt he would replicate the feat. It was a one off. A bit like Clive Allen and his 49 for Spurs. Sometimes a player gets a season when everything he hits it finds the back of the net and yet as you watch him you just feel it ain't going to happen again.
I know a lot of fans liked Leon Cort but I always called him 'comedy'. For all his attributes and I know he has done well for himself, I never found him to be commanding. Commanding is something Spinner and Barrett have introduced into the side and its welcome. Indeed, in the defence, I have rarely seen a centre-back so poor at getting his head to the ball as Cort. I sometimes felt he shied away from it. Its not as though he had to jump! Look how chuffed we were when he bagged a few goals for us, well Barrett has put that into the shade.
In terms of being commanding I agree, even though I liked Cort, I found him to be a bit dodgy at times. If you want an excellent example of commanding, watch replays of the second half of our season last year, Mark Warren's presence is what I want in my team. Don't think Barrett matches up to Wazza in terms of 'commanding' but who cares, Barrett gives so many more attributes, like getting into double figures for goals!

Southend Til I Die. (This has certainly stopped alot of banter on this messageboard)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scrounger700 @ May 29 2005,14:02)]Southend Til I Die. (This has certainly stopped alot of banter on this messageboard)
Don't worry. I'll resume normal service tomorrow.

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ May 29 2005,13:43)]I am more than happy with Spinner and Barrett but lets not put down Leon Cort. IMO he was a good servant to the club and me personally am delighted that he is doing very well with Hull.
Seconded, he cant be that bad if he helped Hull get promotion.

He was loyal to the club.

Its a shame we have to turn on former players this weekend

Back