• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Leon Davies Signs

No contract length was given for Kensdale either. This will get denied again but it looks like to me like we are operating within NL imposed transfer restrictions (not necessarily non-tax paying but maybe sustainability related and not over extending ourselves?) and they’ll only permit signings until the end of the season. In the summer once we’ve cleared a few of the higher earners off the books he’ll presumably sign a longer deal on more money but I think our wage cap reduces then. As he’s under 24 we’d be entitled to compensation (I think that still applies if we’re outside the league) were he not to sign but a 6 month stint wouldn’t give us much.

Still, this looks like the sort of signing we want. It adds more athleticism to a position where it was sorely needed, it fits in with the style of play we are looking to play and it’s a player with seemingly a high ceiling. His career may have stalled but that’s not uncommon for someone who’s come through the ranks like that. Sometimes they need the fresh start to be viewed as the starter. He’s in the sweet spot where he’s got enough experience not to be a liability but where he’ll still be improving. Whether he makes the jump at SUFC or his next stop remains to be seen but this is a signing with a chance of growing with us. He also seems to be of good character.

I said a month or two ago that add an athletic right back and a midfielder that gets around the pitch and it would transform the side. With Neal and Davies we hopefully now have them. It won’t turn us into world-beaters but it will make us competitive in this division. Add that to the improvements in coaching - we’re better organised defensively and have a clear playing style with the ball rather than looking clueless and I’m very encouraged by the steps forward this staff has shown.

Thought Kensdale was till 2024. Not on official site but has been mentioned on social media.

No contract length was given for Kensdale either. This will get denied again but it looks like to me like we are operating within NL imposed transfer restrictions (not necessarily non-tax paying but maybe sustainability related and not over extending ourselves?) and they’ll only permit signings until the end of the season. In the summer once we’ve cleared a few of the higher earners off the books he’ll presumably sign a longer deal on more money but I think our wage cap reduces then. As he’s under 24 we’d be entitled to compensation (I think that still applies if we’re outside the league) were he not to sign but a 6 month stint wouldn’t give us much.
If that's true then fair enough we have to operate within our limitations. If not then signing a young player on a 6 month deal with no option to extend seems like an opportunity missed.

Either way seems a decent signing for this season, and a potentially very good one for the seasons ahead, if he's still here.

Not at all. Will Atkinson was a perm transfer with a six month contract to the end of this month. LD has left Cambridge and signed for us. Boom.
I believe WA was a years contract but we had a break option in Jan (coming up). So we do nothing he stays. In the end makes no difference so mute point anyway.. I would be very surprised if we haven't got an option for a further year with LD. BTW Kensdale signed to 2024 so no reason why LD can't be 6 months with option?

Maybe this relates to his injury record, rather than chuck an 18 month deal at a potential crock, maybe he can come here and prove himself and maybe get a L2 club next season, albeit on a free.

If he he spends most of the next 6 months injured, we can cut our losses in June.
It's not a permanent deal, then :Think:

Thought Kensdale was till 2024. Not on official site but has been mentioned on social media.
It may be that a longer deal was agreed for Kensdale but that to get him registered we needed a shorter deal and we’ll honour the original longer deal in the summer? ANG had a similar arrangement last season.

It is unusual that the deal length wasn’t included on the official site.

Exactly why 6 months with an option makes sense
To me it just seems strange not to mention this on the OS if we've got it (and no restrictions in place that YB speculates), I can't see any upside to keeping it a secret, and surely it's an important detail to note that we've got him for 18 months if we want. That would be smart business.

It seems, Leon missed the end of Cambridge's season following a hip injury that required an operation. Out for 6 months Cambridge gave him a 6 month contract to also support him through the close season
He came back for a couple of Games for Cambridge and was gradually picking up fitness.
To then bolster this Cambridge loaned him out to Weymouth as at the time little immediate prospects for Leon to get into the Cambridge side
The young man on a months loan to Weymouth pushed ahead with fitness, but an outbreak of Covid at Weymouth limited his appearance's and he returned to Cambridge, without his contract with them renewed
Weymouth said they would monitor him with a view to considering offering a longer contract
It looks like we nipped in quick having watched the lad play

From the above I would guess hes not quite fully fit to go today, but I thought that about Lopata , so you never know hopefully he cant be far off

Also surprised as others, we didnt offer an option on another year, which makes you wonder about the injury. Hopefully however the issues are unrelated and he can really push on and put the past behind him, and so wishing him every success and a warm welcome to the mighty Blues fans

It may be that a longer deal was agreed for Kensdale but that to get him registered we needed a shorter deal and we’ll honour the original longer deal in the summer? ANG had a similar arrangement last season.

It is unusual that the deal length wasn’t included on the official site.

Agree it is unusual not to list the contract length. It could be the same as ANG but think it would be strange for Kensdale to note his contract is to 2024 if it could be cut short in the summer.

Do we think he is in the running to start/come off the bench tonight?
Hmmm. Good question. I reckon they'll have a good look at his fitness first. I can see them giving him 20 mins from the bench to see how he goes

We're fighting a short term fire with a limited budget at the wrong time of year for re building for the long term. Not sure we should be worrying ourselves too much about length of contracts right now when there will be an army of players available in a few months and hopefully our reputation and desirability as a club to play for is on the way to being repaired. It'll be interesting to see who goes from our overloaded squad and the quality and type of signing that comes in then.

No such thing as a permanent deal for players and others in the game. Short term deal seems fair to both parties here. Sure if he does well something better will be forthcoming.

We're fighting a short term fire with a limited budget at the wrong time of year for re building for the long term. Not sure we should be worrying ourselves too much about length of contracts right now when there will be an army of players available in a few months and hopefully our reputation and desirability as a club to play for is on the way to being repaired. It'll be interesting to see who goes from our overloaded squad and the quality and type of signing that comes in then.
True. We'll need to stay up first, before we can attract the better talent at this level.

We need a proper clear out in the summer. We have taken a punt on a player with injury concerns - a la Mellis last year, pedigree is good age is good but if he ends up being awesome and goes elsewhere after at least we will have had 5 months of relegation avoiding joy from him

Anyone who thinks this is a done deal is very much mistaken. Has anyone seen him tweet that he's buzzing and can't wait to get started? Until that happens it's simply not official.

Back