• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Leon Davies Signs

Blues have completed the signing of right-back Leon Davies on a permanent deal until the end of the season.

The 22-year-old rose through the ranks at Cambridge United, making 66 appearances for the League One side.

He spent time on loan at fellow National League side Weymouth earlier in the season, making three appearances.

Head Coach Kevin Maher said: "He comes with great pedigree, he’s played 60+ games for Cambridge and helped them get promoted last season from League Two.

"He’s had a tough time with injuries but he’s been back and played a few games.

"It was an opportunity that came up to get a player of his calibre in and provide healthy competition in that area.

"I have to say Jason [Demetriou] has done ever so well in that area and played brilliantly on Saturday, but Leon comes in and I think he will be good for us.

"He’ll be looking to kick start his career again after the injuries that he’s had so we’ll be good for him and he’ll be good for us as well.”

Leon said: "I’m really happy. I know the stature of the Club and how big it is so to get it over the line is really exciting and I can’t wait to get going.

"There’s not been too much football over the past year for me so to have someone want me to come and play for them is really exciting.

"I met the manager last week and it was a really positive meeting. I got good vibes from him and for what he’s trying to do for the Club moving forward so it was a no-brainer in the end.

"I want to bring my positive attributes to the team and hopefully I can showcase them when I start playing."

Welcome to the Club, Leon!

leon davis.JPG

Seems a good signing and is a position we all knew we needed strengthening.

Surprised no mention of a years option on our side, I'd assume we would have put one in? Otherwise this is no real difference from a loan except it'll cost us more, and if he does well his wages will go up or he'll be off. Probably wise not to dish out 18 months straight away but a year option on our side makes total sense and you'd hope the player would be up for that too.

Will he be able to play tonight if fit or has he been signed too late?

Liking what is happening though. Kensdale, Davies, Lopata and Neal all signed by this management team and all under 25, so adding youth and legs to the team. With the Dennis looking like a new signing as well that some very good work

Fingers crossed for the lad that he stays free of injury. No doubt he will have to build up his strength and fitness levels before playing but it's good to have cover for Demi.

Feel sorry for Rob Howard who looked ok to me but hope Leon also does well and will trust in the Management over my judgement any day

I am liking this signing and the terms on how it has been done. firstly, a player who has 42 games at L2 level, getting over an injury. So short term deal to prove fitness and recovery.

Secondly, Demi I would expect will retire or move on at the end of this season.

If Davies makes a real go of this and it works out, we have our replacement, whilst still maintaining competition for places with Rob Howard over the long term, whilst we will be freeing up some of the wage budget too if demi retires.

Good logical work by Kev and the football team. Hope this works out for all involved and another positive.

Permamant Deal...until the end of the season. Seems like a contradiction. Is it me ?

Good signing. Not a long term contract so if it doesn't work out, no problems at the end of the season...

Also very happy that the team is being built from the back. Would expect any further signings to be in the wide or forward areas but great to see a foundation built. Clean sheets give us a chance of points.

I am liking this signing and the terms on how it has been done. firstly, a player who has 42 games at L2 level, getting over an injury. So short term deal to prove fitness and recovery.

Secondly, Demi I would expect will retire or move on at the end of this season.

If Davies makes a real go of this and it works out, we have our replacement, whilst still maintaining competition for places with Rob Howard over the long term, whilst we will be freeing up some of the wage budget too if demi retires.

Good logical work by Kev and the football team. Hope this works out for all involved and another positive.
That's my concern, according to the OS post we don't, we have a free agent who may choose to renew but if so at what terms?

It'll probably work out fine, but a 6 month deal to me can't be seen as long term planning.

Seems a good signing and is a position we all knew we needed strengthening.

Surprised no mention of a years option on our side, I'd assume we would have put one in? Otherwise this is no real difference from a loan except it'll cost us more, and if he does well his wages will go up or he'll be off. Probably wise not to dish out 18 months straight away but a year option on our side makes total sense and you'd hope the player would be up for that too.
No contract length was given for Kensdale either. This will get denied again but it looks like to me like we are operating within NL imposed transfer restrictions (not necessarily non-tax paying but maybe sustainability related and not over extending ourselves?) and they’ll only permit signings until the end of the season. In the summer once we’ve cleared a few of the higher earners off the books he’ll presumably sign a longer deal on more money but I think our wage cap reduces then. As he’s under 24 we’d be entitled to compensation (I think that still applies if we’re outside the league) were he not to sign but a 6 month stint wouldn’t give us much.

Still, this looks like the sort of signing we want. It adds more athleticism to a position where it was sorely needed, it fits in with the style of play we are looking to play and it’s a player with seemingly a high ceiling. His career may have stalled but that’s not uncommon for someone who’s come through the ranks like that. Sometimes they need the fresh start to be viewed as the starter. He’s in the sweet spot where he’s got enough experience not to be a liability but where he’ll still be improving. Whether he makes the jump at SUFC or his next stop remains to be seen but this is a signing with a chance of growing with us. He also seems to be of good character.

I said a month or two ago that add an athletic right back and a midfielder that gets around the pitch and it would transform the side. With Neal and Davies we hopefully now have them. It won’t turn us into world-beaters but it will make us competitive in this division. Add that to the improvements in coaching - we’re better organised defensively and have a clear playing style with the ball rather than looking clueless and I’m very encouraged by the steps forward this staff has shown.

Permamant Deal...until the end of the season. Seems like a contradiction. Is it me ?
Maybe this relates to his injury record, rather than chuck an 18 month deal at a potential crock, maybe he can come here and prove himself and maybe get a L2 club next season, albeit on a free.

If he he spends most of the next 6 months injured, we can cut our losses in June.

Back