• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Every time I see Rons quote , I just get a picture of Lenny walking into Rons office to find his parents bound and gagged.
"First he wants to leave , but now he's changed his mind"
Ron Corleone ......

Leonard turns down new deal at Blues but retracts transfer request

RYAN Leonard has turned down Southend United’s offer of a new contract but has retracted a transfer request to leave Roots Hall.

More...

I agree, he is one of owe best players, but this can't go on. RM and PB has done a great job trying to keep him but he's going to go no matter what when the best offer comes in. I'd rather this mess stop now so we can find a replacement and move on. You asked why I'm sick and tired of all this and I've said quite a few times (why) yet you ask (why) again.....:stunned:

It's not as easy as that though, as what happens if a decent offer doesn't come in

RYAN Leonard has turned down Southend United’s offer of a new contract but has retracted a transfer request to leave Roots Hall.

More...

RM could, of course, just be playing hard ball with interested clubs BUT this article makes it sound as though he really has no intention of selling RL.

Personally, I have every confidence Lenny would have a great season if he does stay. One of his attractions to other clubs is that he is such a good professional and character. If he was to spend a season sulking, that would diminish his value to other clubs - and he wouldn't want that! It would be in his interest, as well as Southend's, for him to be Player of the Year for the 4th time!

If Leonard has any sense he will move.

I bet Vardy and Mahrez regret not moving every single day.

So what does it mean that Lenny has retracted his transfer request?

What does this mean in the grand scale of things?

Is he just as likely or less likely to go?
I suppose if the price that RM wants comes in he will go, if not he wont. I cant see much has changed, other than RL, has had second thoughts about his transfer request, and maybe that has more to do with the money he would lose on exit.

Ron, PB, the club, really can't win can they? The outcry and criticism when Bentley and Payne were allowed to leave without a fight to keep them, as recent as the AGM it was raised quite angrily.

Now they're trying everything to keep a player of whom the majority want to stay, but yet again they are in the wrong??

Ron, PB, the club, really can't win can they? The outcry and criticism when Bentley and Payne were allowed to leave without a fight to keep them, as recent as the AGM it was raised quite angrily.

Now they're trying everything to keep a player of whom the majority want to stay, but yet again they are in the wrong??

You are right of course- there will be some who will have wanted RM to have rolled over at the first offer of 30k, lose our best players if their heads get turned, buy malnourished teenagers from the Ryman league and drop them into L1 football AND then demand the managers head if we are not top of the league at Xmas :-)

they cant win, and if they can't win I would at least like to see some balls and desire- and that is there in spades currently so good.

I see this as win-win for us. If he goes then we get a nice fee, if he stays we have our best player for at least another year, perhaps longer if we get promoted.

I'm getting sick and tired of this from all parties... Just sell and move on.

So let me get this straight. You're angry at leonard for handing in a transfer request (indicating you don't want him to leave), but now that he hasn't handed in a request, you're angry that he's not being leaving? Got it.

I would be amazed if Phil was happy with Lenny being talked out of it.
PB is ruthless, if players want out, or he wants them out, then he wants them gone asap.
A player who's not mentally in the right spot from day 1 of the new season will be viewed as useless to PB.
Ron and Phil don't always communicate that well, I wonder how much Phil knew about this?

I would be amazed if Phil was happy with Lenny being talked out of it.
PB is ruthless, if players want out, or he wants them out, then he wants them gone asap.
A player who's not mentally in the right spot from day 1 of the new season will be viewed as useless to PB.
Ron and Phil don't always communicate that well, I wonder how much Phil knew about this?

The primary reason RM will be pushing so hard is that PB will have told RM how important he thinks Lenny is to our promotion chances- just like when he told him that getting Kightly could be critical. Ron then tries to deliver.

In this case I think Lenny has told Phil he is turning down our offer and putting a request in, THEN he has seen Ron before driving to Braintree so when he turns up at the game he has changed his mind and his head "all over the place". All makes sense when you look at it in that order.

I fear you may have to be amazed..

Maybe, but it's a huge risk to trust Lenny to deliver though. I am not sure PB has it in him to take that chance.....

Maybe, but it's a huge risk to trust Lenny to deliver though. I am not sure PB has it in him to take that chance.....

I still expect him to leave. Ron can't show weakness. No matter what he says, every player has his price and a hard stance will test Sheffield United's commitment to signing the player. I feel if Blades come back in with a proper offer eg £700k plus add-ons, Ron will let Lenny go.

A good replacement in that position is vital with two ageing, slow centre backs.

Back