• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Les (Ginger) Baker R.I.P.

Sorry BB I did wonder after I had posted it if I had the wrong man, no offence intended I was not one of the guys who chanted that song. Admin please go ahead and delete my previous post I had no intention of upsetting anyone. Mind you it was a different time back then our bloke's used a Stanley knife knife your lot used tear gas in the Drury pub.
CS Crew

Les was a regular at Roots Hall, before a serious car accident nearly killed him in 74 or 75, & it took a long time before he recovered.
Back in the day, he was about 6ft 1*, est 16 stone, usually wore a Levi denim jacket & jeans, with shoulder length straight ginger hair.
thanks BBBL - I probably did know him especially if going to games for a long time and I think I do remember him

Forgive me if I am wrong but there was a guy who use to drink in the spa up till about 6/7 years ago and then moved to Rayleigh, he use to wear a white vest all the time, quite a large bloke. Use to see him waking around Rayleigh most days (not seen him for a few weeks)
Is this the same person? Looked between 55 and 65

Forgive me if I am wrong but there was a guy who use to drink in the spa up till about 6/7 years ago and then moved to Rayleigh, he use to wear a white vest all the time, quite a large bloke. Use to see him waking around Rayleigh most days (not seen him for a few weeks)
Sadly Scott that was our Les.

That’s Lez

Sadly Scott that was our Les.
Ohhh ffs! 😔 he looked to be getting himself jn shape over the last few years as well, I remember talking to him in the spa once he always (at the time) sat at top bar right in the corner. Seemed a good bloke, sad news but even worse for those that knew him well! Sorry for your loss guys!

I wonder if Ferg at the Spa knows? (Landlord) I assume he does

Ohhh ffs! 😔 he looked to be getting himself jn shape over the last few years as well, I remember talking to him in the spa once he always (at the time) sat at top bar right in the corner. Seemed a good bloke, sad news but even worse for those that knew him well! Sorry for your loss guys!

I wonder if Ferg at the Spa knows? (Landlord) I assume he does
Fergus does know as i believe that's where the wake is.

My earliest recollection of Les was nearly 50 years ago when I was working down Woodlands Road and he climbed out of a young lady's bedroom window at 7.30 in the morning to go home.
"Morning Les" said I. "Bloody good morning " sez Lez with a massive smile on his face.
That might have been Cathy F?.

Back