• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Badgershrimp

Schoolboy
With regret I bring the news of the passing today of former Southend United player Les Stubbs. Les had two spells with the club as well as playing for Chelsea where he won the first division championship in 1955. He also played locally with Great Wakering Rovers who he turned out for until he was 53 years old. He was 81.

Les was a stalwart of local football assisting many clubs with pre season training and passing on tips & knowledhe of the pro game.

RIP

Played with Les at Wakering, always had a tale to tell about his time in league football, RIP mate.

RIP Les Stubbs

Passed away today. True Southend legend, forget what the Chelsea fans say. 2 spells (between 1948-60), 105 games, 43 goals. Born in Great Wakering and lived there in his final years. I saw him at Great Wakering Rovers matches (another of his former teams) only a few years ago and he was always happy to have a chat. A football man and true gent through and through. Need to get him in the hall of fame!

So sorry to hear the sad news about Les Stubbs He played at the time when football was played by real men

Played with Les at Wakering, always had a tale to tell about his time in league football, RIP mate.

turkism- so did my father John S who played left back normally. I remember as a ldd watching GW 3rds- my old man taking the goals kick for Les to flick on (both in their 40s). Les was 81- my old man is 77 this year. I still bring him to games occasionally, he will be sad to hear the news.

So sorry to hear the sad news about Les Stubbs He played at the time when football was played by real men

A hard man was Les, but when i played with him, he gave a knock and receaved a knock, but always came up laughing. Prem league players could take a leaf out of his book.

turkism- so did my father John S who played left back normally. I remember as a ldd watching GW 3rds- my old man taking the goals kick for Les to flick on (both in their 40s). Les was 81- my old man is 77 this year. I still bring him to games occasionally, he will be sad to hear the news.

My Uncle played with him at Wakering too. He's 74 now and currently in hospital. ALways told me stories about how he broke his leg in the 55th minute of a game but still made it for the full 90. Was a different game back then but no one ever had a bad word to say about Les

Sad to hear the news my Mother still lives in Wakering and knew him and his family. A fine player by all accounts and maybe the greatest ever player tocome out of the South East Essex area and a key player in Chelsea 1955 Championship winning team. It was great that him and the rest of the team got to go on the pitch at Stamford Bridge with the Championship trophy when Chelsea won the League 50 years on.

Played in the wrong era had to take cleaning jobs in his later years to make ends meet its hard to imagine all the over paid Premiership players struggling to make ends meet in their later years with the crazy money they are paid now.

RIP Les

Played in midfield to Les centre forward for the 2nd team. Afraid dont remember your dad, but it was a long time ago. I can only say im sure it was as much a privilige for your dad to play with Les, as i found it.

Played against Les when I was about 20 and he was about 40 (not sure what team I was playing for) - we lost 4-0 to GWR - both Les and his son scoring for them. My abiding memory of that match is trying to tackle Les and just bouncing off him! Also thinking how could he be so fit at 40. RIP Les youi seemed to be a great chap.

(PS I was disappointed that no black armbands were worn by the Blues against Shrewsbury)

Back