• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gillingham away 1989 it ****ed down with rain the entire game we were losing 1-0 for most of the game every Southend fan was soaked through and fed up then David Crown smacks a 30 yarder in the last few minutes and suddenly it all seemed worth it.
I believe a certain Spencer Prior made his deut for Southend United i that game as well.

Our last away game at Grimsby Town during our relegation Season in what is now called the Championship around 1995-1996.During the second half a fox managed to get onto the pitch.Our manager at that time,Ronnie Whelan,was so impressed with the fox's speed that Ronnie attempted to sign up the speedy animal but failed.We also failed.Lost 4-0. Had a bet on Grimsby to win 4-0 at odds of 10-1,so not all was lost.Happy Days !

Another away win at Gillingham was quite memorable was December 97. We went 1-0 down very early in the game and were still trailing with a couple of minutes remaining when the friend who had driven me there that day was pushing me for us to leave a little early as he was going to a Christmas function. I reluctantly walked to the back of the small terrace in the corner we were allocated looking back to the pitch more in hope than expectation when Bore (RIP) knocked in an equalizer that resulted in me running back down the terrace close to my original spot. Just a couple of minutes latter and now in stoppage Coulbault hit the winner. Both quite scrappy goals as I recall but not sure I have seen any other game were we were behind for approximately eighty five minutes but still won !.
i

I have posted this before but one of my biggest regrets is not going to an Anglo-Italian cup away game.

I bet there are some great stories out there.

The fiorentina game with Batistuta destroying us was an experience I'll never forget. Went back to Florence and Pisa couple of years back to see it properly this time.

Another away win at Gillingham was quite memorable was December 97. We went 1-0 down very early in the game and were still trailing with a couple of minutes remaining when the friend who had driven me there that day was pushing me for us to leave a little early as he was going to a Christmas function. I reluctantly walked to the back of the small terrace in the corner we were allocated looking back to the pitch more in hope than expectation when Bore (RIP) knocked in an equalizer that resulted in me running back down the terrace close to my original spot. Just a couple of minutes latter and now in stoppage Coulbault hit the winner. Both quite scrappy goals as I recall but not sure I have seen any other game were we were behind for approximately eighty five minutes but still won !.
i

this was my great memory too. I thought I burst an embolism in my head that day. had to sit down after for about ten mins to recover

I still think the Stamford Bridge equaliser was the most mental celebration ever and one of my fondest Blues moment but some other less obvious ones were the comebacks at Preston and Portsmouth. 5-0 v QPR at home. Getting Andy Ansahs shirt after Millwall away at Old Den. The rain at Newcastle away. Boxing Day at the Manor Ground. Walsall away watching in the police box. Everton FA cup away defeat. The fans at St Mary's. Barry Frys return to Roots Hall.

I still think the Stamford Bridge equaliser was the most mental celebration ever and one of my fondest Blues moment but some other less obvious ones were the comebacks at Preston and Portsmouth. 5-0 v QPR at home. Getting Andy Ansahs shirt after Millwall away at Old Den. The rain at Newcastle away. Boxing Day at the Manor Ground. Walsall away watching in the police box. Everton FA cup away defeat. The fans at St Mary's. Barry Frys return to Roots Hall.

Ha! I remember that and singing "always look on the bright side of life" when the heavens opened. I moved from a standing terrace by the halfway line (under cover) to be with our supporters on that uncovered terrace.

My train journey back (to Nottingham where I was staying at the time)was a nightmare too.

Bloody WPC wouln't let me out out of the ground and I nearly missed the last (5.15)train back.:angry:

Gillingham away 1989 it ****ed down with rain the entire game we were losing 1-0 for most of the game every Southend fan was soaked through and fed up then David Crown smacks a 30 yarder in the last few minutes and suddenly it all seemed worth it.
I believe a certain Spencer Prior made his deut for Southend United i that game as well.

Remember it well, just have to add it stopped raining at the final whistle.

My son thought I'd lost the plot that day. We were still celebrating when Mildy made a world class save. That save has to go down as a fantastic memory too. Who would have thought, 2 great memories in as many minutes.

So many...here goes a couple of my faves, blackburn away under webby 2-2 not many of us made that trip (midweek) but didnt stop us giving a marathon dave webbs yellow army chant.
Northampton at home in the play off semi....freddy scores the pen...I pull my hamstring celebrating
seen mentions of mental celebrations.....bury away great, chelsea away amazing, juppy v lincoln insane, but for me the most brutal celebration was last season when corr scored against Orient, was in the TBV section and it turned into a raging mosh pit.....for ages, I was wearing a jacket, jumper and a t shirt under all that.....the t shirt got ripped during the chaos....amazing. I dont say that lightly as I have been doing this since the early 80s and have had great time on the terraces.....but wow corrgasm indeed

Chisnall,Clayton,Mcmillan ,Wonder what a comparision today would be.All these players were top class players in the wrong division,Lets not forget Eddie Firmani didn't he play for Ac Milan?
In the 50 odd years that I have followed Southend ,it is a mystery why this team never achieved what it should have .

Chisnall,Clayton,Mcmillan ,Wonder what a comparision today would be.All these players were top class players in the wrong division,Lets not forget Eddie Firmani didn't he play for Ac Milan?
Perhaps supporters of a certian age have some ideas why we did not go up that season , we were 6 points short , was it because of the great cup run ,playing the last 4 games away from home in 10 days or did we just run out of steam , I would be interested to hear what others think .

So many...here goes a couple of my faves, blackburn away under webby 2-2 not many of us made that trip (midweek) but didnt stop us giving a marathon dave webbs yellow army chant.

Was that the one where the cretin David Speedy scored in injury time in both halves to deny us a well deserved win? I was there and that game still gives me nightmares :stunned:

Eddie Firmani left Charlton Athletic in 1955 for Sampdoria costing £35,000, after 3 years he was sold to Inter Milan for £88,000, 3 further years later he was sold to Genoa for £60,000, he then returned to Charlton Athletic in 1964 before signing for Southend United in June 1965 he again returned to Charlton in March 1967(He scored 28 goals in 62 matches for Southend) first as a player then as Manager after taking over from Bob Stokoe. He was sacked in 1970 and moved to the U.S.A. where he became manager of both Tampa Bay Rowdies & New York Cosmos winning the Amercian Soccer Bowl with both clubs, I believe he still lives in Florida. Although born in South Africa he played International football for Italy(his grandfather was Italian)with 3 caps scoring twice. He had a brother Peter who also played for Charlton Athletic.

Rochdale at home 15th January 2000. 0-3 at half time, the old man (who is normally a cynic) said we are not out of this. He was right 3-3 at full time and we nearly nicked it at the death. Great match and fantastic fan atmosphere!

Of course! Did his own fanzine, wrote it and did the cartoons... followed SUFC all over the country, Lived in Fairfax Drive? Last time I saw him we had a beer in the White Hart (?) Rayleigh, 15ish years ago

I see argie pete drinking in the White Hart and the Roebuck in Rayleigh, and now always wears a Spurs Shirt for some reason. Remember him being on Paul Hollands coaches, and also remember Shadwell too

Perhaps supporters of a certian age have some ideas why we did not go up that season , we were 6 points short , was it because of the great cup run ,playing the last 4 games away from home in 10 days or did we just run out of steam , I would be interested to hear what others think .
I was lucky enough to go to all 52 matches of 1968-69 and we were at that time crowd wise one of the top clubs in Division 4 we also appeared to have the best players as well as being in the position to buy the better players, we did only win 4 away matches at Chester; Exeter; Bradford P.A.; Darlington (Won 19; Drew 13; Lost 14 from 46 matches). We did however play over 25% of our matches in the last 38 days of that season which did not help(5 Homes/7 Away, 6 wins 2 draws 4 defeats)Can't remember whether the F.A.Cup was much of a distraction but the matches were quite unreal to say the least, as were the 2 league cup matches at both Bournemouth & Wolves. Although at a different level in football now money talks as with both Man.City/Chelsea being successful but I can also remember that Manchester United spent the best part of 25 years trying to buy the league championship by buying many of the best players around but they only managed to win the league when all of their youth players came through the system in about 1992.

If my memory serves me right we were scoring lots of goals in front of big gates........then we just seemed to throw it away against all the small clubs we would have expected to beat(history repeating itself)..Was this the season that john mckinven had his leg broken

If my memory serves me right we were scoring lots of goals in front of big gates........then we just seemed to throw it away against all the small clubs we would have expected to beat(history repeating itself)..Was this the season that john mckinven had his leg broken
Yes it was on October 7th.1968 Johnny McKinven's leg was broken in the 3-0 home win against Lincoln City he did not play again that season. The following season 1969-70 he made only 2 league + 1 sub in the F.A.Cup, his last appearance was in 2-2 home draw against Aldershot(in the snow)in November, before leaving for Cambridge United in December '69. Now lives in Scotland.

Back