• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lord Football

Blues on Tour
The season starts in less than a month. Have we learned nothing?

Go back twelve months. No left back, Bailey and Clarke out of contract, Gower gone and little in the way of positive news regarding transfers. With the season approaching fast, and pretty much all of the pre-season games out of the way Betsy and Harding arrive. We go into our opening games with a team, which unlike everyone else, hadn't had the luxury of playing together. As a result we started poorly, and it took the arrival of loan players to get our season up and running. It can be conjected that if we had started with an eleven who had some idea of what each other were doing, we would have gained those few extra points to drag us into the play offs.

So, a year on, we've learned nothing. No one has joined, but Clarke has become the third player of the season on the trot to leave. We still have no recognised first team left back and a gaping Clarke sized hole in the back four. We did well at the end of the season thanks in part to the efforts of Dervite and Robinson, both of whom we wont have come 8th August.

The assumption must be that Tilson thinks what he has is good enough to see us through or that there are problems in getting players to come to club on a permanent basis. I know the former isn't true, so the problem is getting players here.

Last season, and to a certain degree the previous season, we did well on the back of some very smart loanee moves - in fact Milsom aside all first teamers were excellent and their input was more than positive. It is going to be that much more difficult to attract those kind of players given the rule change to 7 subs. So, in essence, we are looking at permanent signings for the coming season or hoping we get very lucky in the much reduced loan market.

Whilst we must appreciate we are small league one side with limited finances, and as such shelling out 300k for a player or paying wages in the 7k a week bracket is financial folly, I also fail to see why we seem unable to attract players who demand a small transfer fee and reasonable wages. No one seems to want to come here.

My fear for this season is that we start with a limited squad and we are unable to weave our magic with loaned players. Our squad does not have strength in depth, especially at the back, to see us through to May. We got lucky last year with a lack of injuries and suspensions, but the holes were there for all to see. With the market in full flow, all those players available are in the process of being snapped up, and we may be left facing the prospect of a panic buy to fill the gaps.

Views?

But we don't actually have to do that much in the transfer window this time around. Yes we need a left back and a centre half as a bare minimum, a left winger would be nice as would Lee Sawyer if we are being greedy.

There is still plenty of time to go in terms of bringing players in. We have our first look at the Dutch left back and Estonian centre half over the weekend, and they could well be decent enough that they are signed full time. If thats the case, then we only need to bring in a left winger.

Tilson, Brush and RM are working their hardest to bring players in, if people don't believe that then they are mental. Tilson is waiting for an answer on an "unnamed defender" at present, plus we have been linked in the press with Michael Raynes and Alan Bennett. That tells you Tilson is looking to bring players in. We had agreed terms with Ben Chorley's agent as well, and add that to the trialist then it shows work is being done.

You can't just wave a magic wand and bring in 3/4 players in the space of a week or so. Transfers, even free transfers, are complex. You are dealing with a player and his agent as a bare minimum, if a fee is involved then your dealing with the chairman of the other Club as well and everyone is wanting different things. It isn't as easy to buy someone as it is in Football Manager.

Players are still holding out for the best deals at present and they hold all the cards. Rumour has it 12 League One Clubs where in for Ben Chorley, so he has plenty of time to play them off against each other to get the best deal for him, and his agent can do the same.

The work is going on behind the scenes, trust me, so please can we calm down now.

A panic buy would be to go out in June and chuck money at everything that moved. Thankfully we play the waiting game and let these primadonnas sweat.
Tilly knows how to unearth a bargain and i'm prepared to wait like they are. We are much better off than last year in terms of squad numbers and quality of squad.

We need a defender or two though fairly quickly and maybe that's worth chucking some money at for the right player.

Key players that are Macca, Barnard, Freedman etc unlike last season should all be raring to go for the new season and that will be the difference.

Does anyone think that the Club aren't actively trying to make signings?

Why not just let them get on with it?

The time to moan is when we eventually sign someone and they are ****. It's obvious that the Club are actively trying to bring people in though.

The club is working like mad behind the scenes to make signings at the right price, and we all know that Tilly is unlikely to buy just anyone.

I see comparisons being made with last season, but if people looked carefully at our squad at this time last season, and our squad now, they'd see that we're actually a tad better off this time around!

A well written post.

Don't agree with it though, we'll see if the lesson has been learned in a months time, not now. We've got a good three weeks before we should have those signings. The earlier the better, but also the cheaper, and better standard of player, the better.

I've got to say that I cant wait for the season to begin so that we can all just get on with it and stop all this pointless pontificating about not much in particular.

Sorry to be negative but personally feel its the same excuses season upon season.

We cant get our targets, we are making enquries, were waiting to hear from people. I am sorry but I cant help but think a lot of it comes from bad planning.

A lot of others clubs with similar resources seem able to tie up players before the 1st July. A look at virtually every other team will show you new players yet we have nothing except a few trialist.

Our one saving grace is that Tilly knows his stuff and keep on picking up gems on loan but for all the "we wont be in the same position next season" talk from Uncle Ron we are infact in exaclty the same position we are always in - light on quality, light on bodies having lost out player of the season and with no ability to attract anyone we seem to want.

A lot of others clubs with similar resources seem able to tie up players before the 1st July. A look at virtually every other team will show you new players yet we have nothing except a few trialist.
True, but that doesn't mean they are good players. No point signing players just for the sake of it. We obviously dont have alot of money at the moment so unfortunately we are going to have to be patient.

Sorry to be negative but personally feel its the same excuses season upon season.

We cant get our targets, we are making enquries, were waiting to hear from people. I am sorry but I cant help but think a lot of it comes from bad planning.
I'm sure the club aren't naive enough to not plan ahead transfer target wise and act when needed.

I think it's just we're being prudent at the moment, picking our targets carefully and trying to get the best deal we can, which may I add, is risky business and I just hope we're not trying to drive too hard a bargain. Of course I'm just guessing though.

I can see from both sides of this, yes it can be extremely frustrating watching players 'slip through our hands' and go elsewhere but I also know that the club are trying their hardest, and also don't really want to bring in random people for the hell of it..

I still have faith :)
and here's to another exciting season!

Our one saving grace is that Tilly knows his stuff and keep on picking up gems on loan but for all the "we wont be in the same position next season" talk from Uncle Ron we are infact in exaclty the same position we are always in - light on quality, light on bodies having lost out player of the season and with no ability to attract anyone we seem to want.

Not putting words in your mouth obviously here DtS, but what I get from that is maybe we'd be better off going back into L2 & becoming one of the bigger clubs in that division and then having the pick of players who are prepared to play in the bottom tier, much like we did with the team building that led to the LDV & promotion team(s)...

In fact, the way some people are on here, I think they would rather we applied a s**t or bust attitude rather than steadily establishing ourselves as one of the better 3rd division teams (which face facts save for about 10% of our history we've never been!)

if people looked carefully at our squad at this time last season, and our squad now, they'd see that we're actually a tad better off this time around!

Is it though? That's my concern.

We still have no senior left back. We have one centre back, that being Barrett, who without the Southend connections would be seen as average at best on here, I'm convinced. We have no left sided midfielder. We have one midfielder who can actually pass a ball further than 5 yards. We have no creative players. We have a mix of average and injury prone strikers. We have no pace in those striking positions.

I hate to be all doom and gloom, but at the moment I'm really not seeing any chink of sunlight coming through and the quality and depth of our squad currently really concerns me. I unfortunately see us struggling through the opening games and then getting a panic signing or 2 as we head towards deadline day, before desperately scrambling around for emergency loans in September.

If we could pull off 2 or 3 solid signings in the next couple of weeks then yes things would look so much better, but I'm not too hopeful that will happen.

We still have no senior left back. We have one centre back, that being Barrett, who without the Southend connections would be seen as average at best on here, I'm convinced. We have no left sided midfielder. We have one midfielder who can actually pass a ball further than 5 yards. We have no creative players. We have a mix of average and injury prone strikers. We have no pace in those striking positions.

I hate to be all doom and gloom, but at the moment I'm really not seeing any chink of sunlight coming through and the quality and depth of our squad currently really concerns me. I unfortunately see us struggling through the opening games and then getting a panic signing or 2 as we head towards deadline day, before desperately scrambling around for emergency loans in September.

Spot on -

If you look at the quality from the play off defeat(Donny side) you had.

Flavs, Francis,Mugrew,Barrett,Clarke,Bailey,Macca,Gower,Barney all quality.
(I have left our Black and Walker for obvious reasons).

Only Milldenhall has been anywhere near an adequate replacement. JFC and Grant are poor mans Nicky Baileys, and there is NO replacement as yet for Mulgrew (who himself was on there to replace the never replaced Steve Hammell) and Clarkey.

Add to this Macca and Barneys injury woes and Barrett just about being of the right standard and you have a weak team. I am sorry I love Southend as much as anyone but its a poor side at the moment.

If we could pull off 2 or 3 solid signings in the next couple of weeks then yes things would look so much better, but I'm not too hopeful that will happen.
A fair post Andy, just thought I'd say that I think Laurent's pretty quick, although he doesn't sprint off like Theo does.

So really we need 5 players?

A quality LB.

A tall and commanding CB

A pacy LW who can cross.

A creative CM who can score 10 a season and provide service.

A quick CF who is a "fox in the box" and can chip in with 15+ a season.

Anyone got a few million spare?

Last edited:
A fair post Andy, just thought I'd say that I think Laurent's pretty quick, although he doesn't sprint off like Theo does.

Admittedly he does have the odd burst, but unfortunately with ol' Francis, nobody knows what he's going to do, least of all himself. ;) But I mean he's not the sort of player Theo is in that Theo plays on the shoulder, where as Laurent will run from deep etc.

Yes some people will say we became a little more direct with Theo in the team, but it worked. It worked because of the total lack of creativity in midfield currently. We were thumping balls forward towards Revs long before Theo arrived, but it was nowhere near as successful.

I my personal opinion a player like Theo should be seen as a vital signing this summer. It at least gave our defence a break at times, which in no small part helped our defensive record.

Back