• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

lets's help Seth

canada shrimper

Director
With Seth leaving these North American shores very soon i think it only fair we give him some of the english translation.the most common one is "a fag".This Seth, is a cigarette and not a gay person.When you are in Essex,if a girl asks you if you wanna buy her a drink?this translates to will you have sex with me in the parking lot?when someone asks if you are ****ed?That means are you drunk?Not are you mad?I am sure this list will be added to so please save it and print it off before you leave,as it will be of great use to you over there in the uk.

Also a 'fanny' here isn't a bottom.....
It's a 'minge'
biggrin.gif

Unfortuanately going in a chip shop oop north the counter staff will ask you if you want a poke.(bag of chips)

The ponce behind, will ask you for any tabs. (fags)

Seth should beware that beer over here isn't weak fizzy water, but I could be wrong having only listened to others stories of woe with regards to the weak stuff served up in bars in the U.S.

Pants are undergarments as opposed to trousers.

And the best bit you will be able to legally buy a pint before your 21st birthday, even though this will only be 3 weeks before you are 21. How will you be celebrating such an occasion??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canada shrimper @ Dec. 14 2004,16:30)]When you are in Essex,if a girl asks you if you wanna buy her a drink?this translates to will you have sex with me in the parking lot?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ Dec. 15 2004,00:50)]And the best bit you will be able to legally buy a pint before your 21st birthday, even though this will only be 3 weeks before you are 21. How will you be celebrating such an occasion??
A persons 21st birthday is a huge occasion in the states, usually marked by a tradition called '21 on 21'. Basically all this entails is having 21 drinks on your birthday. Sure, this isn't exactly the smartest thing to do, but from what I hear it leads to a very interesting day. The drinks are not all consumed in one night, they are usually spread out throughout the entire day.

Seeing as how I'll be in England, I think my birthday will be much more subdued, I'll probably just go out and have a couple of drinks with friends.

21 drinks over the day. You want to go drinking with some of the boys on here 21+ drinks in the evening is the norm.

very few of the drinks are beers though, most are shots or mixed drinks with Bacardi 151 or some other wonderfully harsh liquor

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Artful Shrimper @ Dec. 15 2004,07:40)]Seth should beware that beer over here isn't weak fizzy water, but I could be wrong having only listened to others stories of woe with regards to the weak stuff served up in bars in the U.S.
I spent most of September on Long Island and some of the beer was quite nice (Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Blue Point) but a lot was absolute crap. Interestingly, supermarkets are only permitted to sell booze below a specific strength. If you want something stronger (like a bottle of whisky) you will have to go to a Liquor store.

There doesn't seem to be a pub culture at all over there. I was met with some very odd looks when I spent an afternoon in a bar watching the American football and necked Eight pints of Coors lite.

I went to an attempt at a British pub called the Canterbury Ales and they served Speckled Hen. I ordered a pint and found to my disgust that it had been passed through a flash cooler and was served ice cold. The Guinness was very good though.

Over here:

*an "***" is another word for a donkey. The vernacular phrase for one's behind is an "arse".
*a "subway" is a pedestrian walkway under a road. Only three cities have underground public transit systems: London (where it's called the Tube), Newcastle (where it's called the Metro) and Glasgow (where it's called the Clockwork Orange!).
*a pavement is a thing that people walk on (not a sidewalk).
*a "bathroom" is a room with a bath in it. A place to pee is called a "toilet", "loo", "lav", "lavatory", "khazi" or "bog".

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 16 2004,10:31)]A place to pee is called a "toilet", "loo", "lav", "lavatory", "khazi" or "bog".
or a 'bus stop' or 'telephone booth'.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]*a "subway" is a pedestrian walkway under a road. Only three cities have underground public transit systems: London (where it's called the Tube), Newcastle (where it's called the Metro) and Glasgow (where it's called the Clockwork Orange!).

Also a subway can be a 6 inches or foot long of bagette filled with toppings of your choice.

If someone in England remarks to you "have a nice day" they may actually mean it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (canada shrimper @ Dec. 16 2004,13:18)]just thought of another,

liquor store=off licence
Yes but in the midlands and some places up north it is called the Outdoors, which to me conjures up pictures of a cold outdoor toilet at the back of the yard, with newspaper for bog roll.

Somethings never change. for instance when the primeminister or president talk in that patronizing manner with an overdose of specially taught body language moves designed to make us think they're sincere and telling the truth, you know, they're actually lying. And what's worse, they still believe using those specially taught body language techniques convince us morons that they are telling the truth.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (GNH @ Dec. 16 2004,13:43)]If someone in England remarks to you "have a nice day" they may actually mean it!
But you will likely to faint if it does happen as most people in England are not usually courteous to anyone they do not know. Normally you are faced with a grunt.

Back