• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Let's be clear...

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
We are in no worse a situation than we have been for the last four seasons.

I had a 20 minute conversation with Tilly the day after the home defeat by Port Vale when we first got back into L1.

Back then he thought the division would be incredibly difficult and we wouild do well to survive.

Attracting players was very hard as we didn't have the resources available to compete with a lot of teams. But with a new stadium on the horizon that would help and when that stadium arrived we would then be able to compete in terms of facilities.

The only thing that has significantly changed within the club has been the granting of the planning permission, so we are actually in a better position than we were in back then.

The biggest change has been in the expectation of the fans.

We have ALWAYS had trouble attracting players. This year is no different.

It could be worse. We could have just been beaten 6-1 by Orient, just like Newcastle.

So lets look forward to the new season that starts in 2 weeks... it looks like we have promising-ish triallists in Saah, Worley and Ritges.

BLUE ARMY!

Last edited:
Thank f*** for that - someone with the same take on things as me! It's no different to any other year, the holes are just in different places in the team.

Sorry mate, can't agree with you here...

The last four seasons, we were never in danger of not being able to field a squad of eleven full professionals, each in a position they're comfortable playing in. This time round, we're two weeks away from the start and we can't even field a full defence.

Barrett is our only natural centre back at the moment... Sankofa has made it quite clear he's incapable of playing in that position, and Francis is playing his best football on the right flank. The prospect of Johnny Herd at left back isn't great, but it'll do.

If Barrett's injury gets any worse, we really are screwed. We have trialists, yes, but the past dictates that we hardly ever take these on... And even then the most promising trialist is a Centre Forward.

Sorry mate, can't agree with you here...

The last four seasons, we were never in danger of not being able to field a squad of eleven full professionals, each in a position they're comfortable playing in. This time round, we're two weeks away from the start and we can't even field a full defence.

Barrett is our only natural centre back at the moment... Sankofa has made it quite clear he's incapable of playing in that position, and Francis is playing his best football on the right flank. The prospect of Johnny Herd at left back isn't great, but it'll do.

If Barrett's injury gets any worse, we really are screwed. We have trialists, yes, but the past dictates that we hardly ever take these on... And even then the most promising trialist is a Centre Forward.

I do have to agree with this, unfortunately. I really am pretty worried about the state of our defence.

However on the up side, our midfield and frontline look in decent shape and I hope that because we haven't made a large number of changes (unlike last season when we lost a lot of long-serving and quality players) we should be able, with one or two defensive additions, to be able to hit the ground running.

I had a 20 minute conversation with Tilly the day after the home defeat by Port Vale when we first got back into L1.

Back then he thought the division would be incredibly difficult and we wouild do well to survive.

Attracting players was very hard as we didn't have the resources available to compete with a lot of teams. But with a new stadium on the horizon that would help and when that stadium arrived we would then be able to compete in terms of facilities.

The only thing that has significantly changed within the club has been the granting of the planning permission, so we are actually in a better position than we were in back then.

It could be worse. We could have just been beaten 6-1 by Orient, just like Newcastle.

So lets look forward to the new season that starts in 2 weeks... it looks like we have a couple of promising-ish triallists in Saah, Worley and Ritges.

BLUE ARMY!
Thats the sprit! You are 100% right, its harder than you think trying to get in the right players for the club, Brilliant post! :clap:

Lets keep the faith!

UTB!

If we sign the two or three players that we need then we'll be fine. But even I'm beginning to worry as we get nearer and nearer to the kick off without having a single fit defender that I'm in the least bit confident in.

If Saah & Worely sign this week then I'll feel far more happy.

If we sign the two or three players that we need then we'll be fine. But even I'm beginning to worry as we get nearer and nearer to the kick off without having a single fit defender that I'm in the least bit confident in.

If Saah & Worely sign this week then I'll feel far more happy.

I've never really rated Saah, but Worsley does sound interesting. As people have previously mentioned, Alan Bennett is still available and would be a quality signing. Saah isn't even an upgrade on Barrett

Bennett is going to Brentford. It was agreed a few weeks ago.

I don't know enough about Saah to say whether he'd be a good signing but at this stage any competent defender will do. We won this league with Che Wilson in the back line.

...Which goes an awful long way in describing how desperate the situation at the club is.

Wasn't it this time last year we had to postpone the team photo?

I think we have far more permanent squad players than this time last year.

Ok, Barretts injury is a problem but there is no way we'll kick off with anything less than a "proper" back four.

Wasn't it this time last year we had to postpone the team photo?

I think we have far more permanent squad players than this time last year.

Ok, Barretts injury is a problem but there is no way we'll kick off with anything less than a "proper" back four.

And there in lies the problem.

How people can say we are no worse/better of than the last few years is just laughable. Our problem has always been getting strength in depth with a small squad which i think most of us accept is gonna be a perennial problem, however this year we cannot even field a starting eleven at the moment without playing 4/5 people out of position. We may well have this sorted by the Udders game but as of NOW we are royally screwed

If I can shed some light on Saah. He's a tall centre back who originally played in midfield. He can play football, he is comfortable on the ball and can make a pass. As a defender he was competent. His height helps, he has some pace and can make a decent tackle.

However there are better natural defenders out there. His reading of the game is at times questionable, and he can lose concentration causing unnecessary pressure on the defence.

Overall he was a little unlucky to be released. Ling signed Ashworth from Wigan on 2.5 yr deal and honouring that contract led to Saah being released. Saah is the better of the two.

Who knows? Southend have a habit of picking up players, playing to their strengths and making money, you could well do the same with Saah, and Tilson is a better communicator & motivator than Ling was. It might be just what Saah needs.

And there in lies the problem.

How people can say we are no worse/better of than the last few years is just laughable. Our problem has always been getting strength in depth with a small squad which i think most of us accept is gonna be a perennial problem, however this year we cannot even field a starting eleven at the moment without playing 4/5 people out of position. We may well have this sorted by the Udders game but as of NOW we are royally screwed
I can only think of two - Moussa and Francis - and both are fine in alternative roles. We'll be OK. If the worst comes to the worst we'll bring in a couple of loanees and, having chosen gems in Harding and Dervite last season, I'm confident Tilly will get those right.

I think the problem is that I (and many others)just cant look at this squad with any excitement or positive anticipation for the upcoming season. Is it any wonder we've had to buy our season tickets before the end of the season for the past couple of years - we've had no intention of entering the transfer market.
I just wish I had the blind faith in Tilly and Brush that many on here have, but can they keep pulling rabbits from hats and could this be the season we slip back 5 years?

We were where we were last season on the back of loanees (and Clarke) I suppose we have to wait (and hope!)for more of the same.

I think the problem is that I (and many others)just cant look at this squad with any excitement or positive anticipation for the upcoming season. Is it any wonder we've had to buy our season tickets before the end of the season for the past couple of years - we've had no intention of entering the transfer market.
I just wish I had the blind faith in Tilly and Brush that many on here have, but can they keep pulling rabbits from hats and could this be the season we slip back 5 years?

We were where we were last season on the back of loanees (and Clarke) I suppose we have to wait (and hope!)for more of the same.

Exactly. We clearly have no money to make decent offers for quality players so are sorting through the freebies and released players. Tilly has shown over the last couple of seasons that he has an eye for a good loan player that will fit into our side and hit the ground running.

We should take encouragement from this previous success and maybe not get so hung up on the fact the player isnt ours. Slowly Tilly is building up good relationships with local Premiership and Championship sides and we are starting to see the benefits of this.

Last summer was far worse in my opinion for the amount of players we required and fingers crossed we will have a decent squad of players in place for game one. However dont be surprised if we dont sign these until the Thursday before the big kickoff.

So lets look forward to the new season that starts in 2 weeks... it looks like we have promising-ish triallists in Saah, Worley and Ritges.

BLUE ARMY!

like it, positivity, yeah im concerned like most, defence particularly, but the problem is were all used to winning! whereas a mid table div 3 side, if you take an average of our history is probably right, tilson has always worked with a small squad and up till last season got away with not too many injuries, so realistically, hopefully upper mid table, a couple of derby wins, a couple of big scalps, maybe a cup run, this i think is realistic, promotion i doubt it, but up until recently i doubt if all southend fans thought, that we were promotion contenders every year, sign these trialists, get a full squad, hope the team photo doesnt look as sh*t as last time, and get on with the season
UTB

Exactly. We clearly have no money to make decent offers for quality players so are sorting through the freebies and released players. Tilly has shown over the last couple of seasons that he has an eye for a good loan player that will fit into our side and hit the ground running.

We should take encouragement from this previous success and maybe not get so hung up on the fact the player isnt ours. Slowly Tilly is building up good relationships with local Premiership and Championship sides and we are starting to see the benefits of this.

Last summer was far worse in my opinion for the amount of players we required and fingers crossed we will have a decent squad of players in place for game one. However dont be surprised if we dont sign these until the Thursday before the big kickoff.

...call me old fashioned, but unfortunately I cant get too excited by the prospect of loanees that we MIGHT sign later on in the season! But I love your optimism Saarfender - up the Blues!

...call me old fashioned, but unfortunately I cant get too excited by the prospect of loanees that we MIGHT sign later on in the season! But I love your optimism Saarfender - up the Blues!

It's all that's keeping me going mate. I'm as worried as many on here but remember being exactly the same last season. That didnt turn out so bad.

I was thinking last night about our squad as it is and who we could possibly get in before the start of the season.

How differently would people feel about our prospects this season if for instance we had a squad of:

Current Squad +

Hal Robson-Kanu - 6 month loan
Dan Harding - Permanent
Harry Worley - Permanent

Maybe Harding is optomistic but the other 2 arent IMO. We would then have the CB and LB we desperately need and a winger.

Christmas last season was the first time I started to doubt Tilly and think maybe it was time for a change. He proved me wrong so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt til the transfer window shuts.

Back