• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Let's ditch Fossets

hamburgshrimper

Youth Team
Think it's about time we sort out the team and spend the money we've gained on better players to get us out of this mess. As people on here as already said, it's complete rollocks playing in the 4th division with a brand spanking new stadium up to the hilt in debt.
Of course, Tilly has made mistakes, the uninspiring team selections just add to the total negativity enveloping our club at the moment, but I think he's done alright, given the circumstances he's been working under. Ron's the real problem.

Not an option Long term , the stadium is needed for the club to get out of this financial mess.

If it means a couple of years of mediocre football, it will be well worth it in the long run. Just hard to swallow at the moment

Last edited:
Yes of course, what a grand plan. And then with increased spending on the same income we'll be in exactly the same position as we are now a year or so down the road...

No Fossetts means no Football Club. That isn't long term either, it's short-term. The only reason why the millions that we owe hasn't been requested is because of the FF development. Without that we're screwed, particularly as we don't own Roots Hall.

I'd love to hear Ron Martin's conversation with Sainsburys in which he tells them that the Club wants to stay at Roots Hall.....

With the fickle nature of our support, people aren't going to be coming in droves when we're in the basement league. It's only my opinion, but as it stands, our club is on the way down, both on and off the pitch.

We're not building a stadium for next season or the one after that. We're building one for the next fifty seasons.

But that's an irrelevance anyway because unless you can think of a way for our debt to be wiped out and for us to own Roots Hall then moving isn't a choice it's what has to happen.

Ditch Fossets and spend the money on players instead...I am sure that if lenders that are advancing the funds for a stadium and retail development (we are having to borrow the money for FF) are are going to be more than happy to lend it to us for players.....
nd then there is the question of paying it back, We have not been able to sustain a football team without additional finance (selling the ground, better players , one off cup games) for at least 16 years (I have only seen the accounts since 1994) , how on earth are we going to manage it going forward without the additional income streams FF is planned to bring ?

Ditch Fossets and spend the money on players instead...I am sure that if lenders that are advancing the funds for a stadium and retail development (we are having to borrow the money for FF) are are going to be more than happy to lend it to us for players.....
nd then there is the question of paying it back, We have not been able to sustain a football team without additional finance (selling the ground, better players , one off cup games) for at least 16 years (I have only seen the accounts since 1994) , how on earth are we going to manage it going forward without the additional income streams FF is planned to bring ?[/QUOTE]

What additional income streams ?
We are to be tenants paying rent and it still has to explained what income streams will be available to the Club.
Crowds are slowly diminishing and God only knows what they will become if we get relegated, possibly back to 4,500 or 5,000.
How will the Club afford the rent then ?

We are to be tenants paying rent and it still has to explained what income streams will be available to the Club.
Crowds are slowly diminishing and God only knows what they will become if we get relegated, possibly back to 4,500 or 5,000.

True the additional income streams have not been fully explained, but I doubt if we will significantly worse off than we would be now if we were paying the rent which is currently being waived , even if the income from the ancilliary developments is not shared out (and as the owners of the FF will be RHL, who are the owners of SUFC It would be in the holding companies interests to pass some of the money on)

It's not been stated that we'll pay rent. Ron said that the decision would be taken at the time depending on the circumstances the Club are in at the time (in the same way that we've technically been due to pay rent for the past ten years but haven't).

The principle behind which the club will benefit from the extra revenue streams has been explained in the past. Some choose to believe it will happen. Some don't. Personally I think it's too far away for us to really know specifics but that having made such a huge deal of the Club benefiting financially it'll be difficult for Ron to now do the opposite.

With the fickle nature of our support, people aren't going to be coming in droves when we're in the basement league. It's only my opinion, but as it stands, our club is on the way down, both on and off the pitch.

The minute we do well they will come back. They ain't going anywhere, Roots Hall basically is.

You're right. **** the future, let's focus solely on this season. Let's not give a damn that, two decades down the line, we're still squandering what little we have down the drain in our delapidated stadium that brings in next to no additional income. As long as we're not embarassed this season...

If James Walker hadn't hit the bar in the play-off semi it may all have been different.

If we had'nt treated the last game of that season against Port Vale like a pre season friendly, and actually have won it then we would have played Carlisle in the play offs. And then we might not be in the predicament we are today?.

Think it's about time we sort out the team and spend the money we've gained on better players to get us out of this mess. As people on here as already said, it's complete rollocks playing in the 4th division with a brand spanking new stadium up to the hilt in debt.
Of course, Tilly has made mistakes, the uninspiring team selections just add to the total negativity enveloping our club at the moment, but I think he's done alright, given the circumstances he's been working under. Ron's the real problem.

The most naive post ever. Football short termism (which is a horrendus thing) at its best. So you think we have money to spend form the sales of players? So you think we really will be stuck in league 2 with a new stadium? You think the club will be in mountains of debt? You think Ron's the problem? Well sir, it's posts like these that demonstrate huge, and quite frankly worrying, variation in understanding amoungst our fan base.

Last edited:
You're right. **** the future, let's focus solely on this season. Let's not give a damn that, two decades down the line, we're still squandering what little we have down the drain in our delapidated stadium that brings in next to no additional income. As long as we're not embarassed this season...

No you are mad, you are planning too far ahead!

Let sell every last thing we have including the bluebelles (where did they go?) and lets rent Real Madrid for 45 minutes so we slaughter col u up until half time.

PS it really worries me some people are so tunnelled visioned liek the original poster that they think a) what happens this season matters much in the big cheme of things and b)that there would be any money to spend on players if the ground wasnt going ahead. We never used to spend money pre-championship season so why would we spend any now ?!

Ron has clearly stated the club cannot afford to stay at Roots hall. Its losing money.
Fossets has to come but, and its a well debated argument, a more realistic 15,000 seat stadium should be looked at, both for cost savings and future the future of the club re ticket sales and atmosphere.

Back