• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

sufcmark

Youth Team
Can we all please stop this Sturrock would've done better than Brown bollox.

The Season is over with Sturrocks team. He brought all of these players in during his time with us. I'm not buying all the Sturrock love in. Yes he seems like a top man who has left with great dignity, yes he done a great job in his first season when we looked in big trouble. But we screwed up last season and have ducked up this season even more. He has been backed with signings and loan players that he brought in. I'd have him sacked purely for paying money for Straker.

We now move on with Browns team next season. Let him decide who he wants to keep from the shower of $hite that Sturrock has left him with in the Summer and then who he wants to bring in. I'm not judging Brown on this season and don't see how anyone can. If the players don't like him then that's tough. I've had bosses I don't like in the past but it hasn't stopped me giving 100%. In fact bosses I haven't liked in the past I've occasionally worked harder to prove them wrong. If they don't like him maybe its because he has told them a few home truths that they are not good enough?

Bye Sturrock, thanks for stabilising us, thanks for Wembley. Hello Brown, please shake up the team that Sturrock has left you with and get us promoted next season.

The Season is over with Sturrocks team. He brought all of these players in during his time with us. I'm not buying all the Sturrock love in. Yes he seems like a top man who has left with great dignity, yes he done a great job in his first season when we looked in big trouble. But we screwed up last season and have ducked up this season even more. He has been backed with signings and loan players that he brought in. I'd have him sacked purely for paying money for Straker.

We now move on with Browns team next season. Let him decide who he wants to keep from the shower of $hite that Sturrock has left him with in the Summer and then who he wants to bring in. I'm not judging Brown on this season and don't see how anyone can. If the players don't like him then that's tough. I've had bosses I don't like in the past but it hasn't stopped me giving 100%. In fact bosses I haven't liked in the past I've occasionally worked harder to prove them wrong. If they don't like him maybe its because he has told them a few home truths that they are not good enough?

Bye Sturrock, thanks for stabilising us, thanks for Wembley. Hello Brown, please shake up the team that Sturrock has left you with and get us promoted next season.

I would suggest that if the players don't like him then he won't last too long in this job. This is football, how many times have we seen a club with the same group of players perform hopelessly for a manager only for that same group of players to turn it around dramatically when the manager they don't like is sacked? You make it sound quite a trivial thing but it's quite an important one in my book, especially when the incoming manager in this case has replaced a guy like Sturrock who very few (Matt Paterson aside!) have anything bad to say about.

Doing a team talk out on the pitch and slaughtering a Hull side who had performed miracles up until that point in the season was a big mistake, it's hardly one that is going to initially endear Brown to the playing staff of any subsequent club he manages. I don't particularly like Brown. I've never really liked Brown. I make no apologies for that, however anyone can change their opinion and if he does a good job for us he'll certainly win my approval. If the players don't like him though then I'm of the opinion that that's a big problem.

Last edited:
I'd have him sacked purely for paying money for Straker.

I think it was an elaborate hoax perpetuated by the media. If you google Straker and Aldershot you'll find news stories relating to Championship clubs allegedly tracking him last year.

All joking aside I don't really know what has gone wrong here. There is, I believe, a decent footballer in there somewhere but for whatever reason when the crunch really comes in a game it just isn't happening. Don't forget he had one goal disallowed unfairly at Fleetwood and send a couple of thunderous shots crashing against the bar. However, the bread and butter job at defending has been poor on the whole.

I would suggest that if the players don't like him then he won't last too long in this job. This is football, how many times have we seen a club with the same group of players perform hopelessly for a manager only for that same group of players to turn it around dramatically when the manager they don't like is sacked? You make it sound quite a trivial thing but it's quite an important one in my book, especially when the incoming manager in this case has replaced a guy like Sturrock who very few (Matt Paterson aside!) have anything bad to say about.

Doing a team talk out on the pitch and slaughtering a Hull side who had performed miracles up until that point in the season was a big mistake, it's hardly one that is going to initially endear Brown to the playing staff of any subsequent club he manages. I don't particularly like Brown. I've never really liked Brown. I make no apologies for that, however anyone can change their opinion and if he does a good job for us he'll certainly win my approval. If the players don't like him though (and let me stress there is no evidence as yet that this is the case!) then I'm of the opinion that that's a big problem.

Great the players liked Sturrock - where did that get us in the last 2 league seasons? Football is a ruthless business and you get judged on results.

I'd rather have a manager that they don't like and we go up!

:thumbsup: This

When Sturrock was here, lots of people moaned and harped om about Tilly. All of a sudden it's been like one huge Sturrock love in.

Thanks for stabilising us and for Wembley but he failed in the second eighteen months of his reign. This is 100% his squad.

Great the players liked Sturrock - where did that get us in the last 2 league seasons? Football is a ruthless business and you get judged on results.

I'd rather have a manager that they don't like and we go up!

In the vast majority of cases those 2 don't go hand-in-hand.

And in terms of last season under Sturrock we only missed out on promotion via a set of dodgy floodlights, we were hardly mid-table also-rans were we - 83pts is an excellent achievement and will see a team promoted 9 times out of 10.

When Sturrock was here, lots of people moaned and harped om about Tilly.

As i said before and will say it again. Those who wanted Tilson out are getting what they got before he come here and what they deserve. A cr*p league 2 side.

And in terms of last season under Sturrock we only missed out on promotion via a set of dodgy floodlights, we were hardly mid-table also-rans were we - 83pts is an excellent achievement and will see a team promoted 9 times out of 10.

The points tally is a fair comment but we still failed to go up when we should've done. Stuttered towards the end of the season which cost us.

Like I'm trying to say we will find out next season what Brown brings us. Can't judge him yet. Sturrock has gone so move on

Can't abide by that viewpoint. Sturrock is to blame for last season I'm afraid. Biggest points total of 83 points is irrelevant. Fact is, Southend were in a hugely commanding position at the top of the table at the end of December/beginning of January after a superb first half of the season and promotion was ours to lose. The form during the second half of the season was mid/lower table. The reason we didn't go up is because Sturrock's chosen style, whilst very effective to begin with, was easily sussed out eventually and opposition teams found out exactly how to nullify said style and our individual threats - and the manager had no back-up style to swing momentum back in our favour. In the face of fair criticism due to the ineffective tactics and the lack of a Plan B, the manager was stubborn and stuck with what he thought was best and that is what cost us promotion. An entire 2md half of the season which was pretty much woeful. Not one game where the floodlights failed and cost us what COULD have been a win (but might not have been). When I look at last season I don't see the club's highest ever points total. Having been in such a commanding position, I see failure, because not getting promotion having been in that position is just that - failure. It was thrown away with a wimper.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Can't abide by that viewpoint. Sturrock is to blame for last season I'm afraid. Biggest points total of 83 points is irrelevant. Fact is, Southend were in a hugely commanding position at the top of the table at the end of December/beginning of January after a superb first half of the season and promotion was ours to lose. The form during the second half of the season was mid/lower table. The reason we didn't go up is because Sturrock's chosen style, whilst very effective to begin with, was easily sussed out eventually and opposition teams found out exactly how to nullify said style and our individual threats - and the manager had no back-up style to swing momentum back in our favour. In the face of fair criticism due to the ineffective tactics and the lack of a Plan B, the manager was stubborn and stuck with what he thought was best and that is what cost us promotion. An entire 2md half of the season which was pretty much woeful. Not one game where the floodlights failed and cost us what COULD have been a win (but might not have been). When I look at last season I don't see the club's highest ever points total. Having been in such a commanding position, I see failure, because not getting promotion having been in that position is just that - failure. It was thrown away with a wimper.

I also can't agree with that I'm afraid, we'll have to agree to disagree. We DID change the style of play in the last couple of months of the season, Eastwood came in and we had a Plan B. Yes we lost form, partly because we also lost some key players to injury - Dickinson (while maligned by some) was very, very important to the way we played and his broken ankle was a huge loss. Key players in the likes of Hall also went right off the boil, is Sturrock to blame for that? I find it quite incredible that anyone can criticise the job Sturrock did last season when we accumulated a huge number of points (which let's face it should have been 84-86pts with the Aldershot farce) which would have secured automatic promotion over a Crawley side who - let's not forget - were big-spenders.

We now move on with Browns team next season. Let him decide who he wants to keep from the shower of $hite that Sturrock has left him with in the Summer and then who he wants to bring in. I'm not judging Brown on this season and don't see how anyone can.

Good points, Agree totally except the point were you say the team is a "Shower of $hite". I believe luggy mostly got it right with the players we have and would not consider the majority them to be of that calibur at all, we do have some excellent players for this league.

Im getting the impression that the feeling towards PB is not good. Not entirely his fault, we were poor under PS as well. We have gained 17 points since Christmas which is relegation form. Players need to take a long hard look at themselves. The season was effectively over when we failed to beat the likes of Barnet, Stanley, Wombles, Torquay and Plymouth. Had we done better then PS wouldn't have been sacked. I agree that PB has made a few odd decisions thus far, but this is probably part of him trying to work out who to keep and who to let go. He has a massive job to do in the summer based on the fact that 4 of the current squad are loanees, sounds like Tomlin and Clohessy could be on their way to Gills and MK Dons and many are out of contract. We have known for a while the season has gone, we need to support PB and roll on next season.

I wouldn't play any of the loanees now for the rest of the season, unless injuries dictate we have to.

This leaves us with a squad of

GK - Smith, Bentley
RB - Clohessy
LB - Barker, Straker
CB - Cresswell, Phillips, Prosser, Moshni
RM - Hurst, Leonard
CM - Spillane, Laird, Spicer, Woodyard
LM - Pinnock
FW - Corr, Tomlin, Eastwood.

For Saturday.

I'd line us ap as

Smith
Clohessey
Moshni
Cresswell
Prosser
Leonard
Spillane
Laird
Pinnock
Eastwood
Tomlin

Subs
Bentley
Barker
Straker
Hurst
Corr
Phillips
Nije

To be fair last season we got our record amount of points in the league and most seasons it would have got us up. I certainly put that down as a good performance with a disappointment in the playoffs.

This year however has been a major disappointment and as our objective was to get promotion to be sitting where we are was not acceptable.

The total points is obviously achieved by winning games, he won a lot of games, more than we have in the past. That is not irrelevant. If we had 83 points this season we would have gone up in the automatics.

I do agree though, there were failings in that season and the style of play got found out after Christmas and we didnt improve again until we changed later on when Freddy came back. The flip side of that is the style did get us on a massive run that put us well clear at one point.

I did wonder if Britt starting ahead of Tomlin was something to do with that. Seems odd he had a thigh strain that meant he couldnt start yet it wasnt bad enough to stop us bringing him on?

Back