• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Lewis Gard Signs new contract

Three months to show what he can do.

Will be tough to displace Husin, Atkinson and Neal on their performances over the last couple of months. Dunne has also been a regular on the bench and I wonder if he will jump ahead of him. Different type of player of course, but with only 5 subs I can't see both being on the bench.

Pleased to see this, the management team must believe in him to give him this shot, let's hope he can at least get some minutes off the bench to see if there's a place in the squad for him next season.

I was lead to believe Maher is quite a fan of Dunne, thinks he's very good around the place. Always a name that's mentioned as someone we'd look to move on in the summer but I'm not so sure if that will be the case (and tbh was something I was told a good few weeks back and things change).

Weird one for me this. Either commit to the lad for 18 months and work with him, or let him go now.

He's not going to get near the bench as it is and we've got loads of cover there. Assume if Dunne, Ogogo, Willo move on in the summer, we'll be getting replacements not risking youth for the first team necessarily.

Dunno.... weird. I like what I've seen of him, just not sure what a 3 month deal does for either party.

A
Weird one for me this. Either commit to the lad for 18 months and work with him, or let him go now.

He's not going to get near the bench as it is and we've got loads of cover there. Assume if Dunne, Ogogo, Willo move on in the summer, we'll be getting replacements not risking youth for the first team necessarily.

Dunno.... weird. I like what I've seen of him, just not sure what a 3 month deal does for either party.
Agree - it's not exactly a vote of confidence

I was lead to believe Maher is quite a fan of Dunne, thinks he's very good around the place. Always a name that's mentioned as someone we'd look to move on in the summer but I'm not so sure if that will be the case (and tbh was something I was told a good few weeks back and things change).
would surely depend on the cost....if he is a high earner and not playing logic suggests there might be efforts made to move him on

Dunno.... weird. I like what I've seen of him, just not sure what a 3 month deal does for either party
might depend on how some of soon to be free agents have responded to our overtures

I'm never heard of a 3/4 month contract.... Very odd and not really that good for the lad.

Glad we're not giving out long contracts to blokes we've hardly seen for years. His got a lot to prove in both performance and fitness. I'm sure he can do both but surely it's worth keeping options open. At the end of this don't we just have to offer a contract +£1 to this deal to be due compensation so a longer contract doesn't protect the club in any way ? or is that wrong ?

Too good to throw away but it is difficult to see where he fits in at this very moment

Glad we're not giving out long contracts to blokes we've hardly seen for years. His got a lot to prove in both performance and fitness. I'm sure he can do both but surely it's worth keeping options open. At the end of this don't we just have to offer a contract +£1 to this deal to be due compensation so a longer contract doesn't protect the club in any way ? or is that wrong ?

I'd be surprised if we would be holding out for a transfer fee.

What benefit do the club have signing him up for another year? He wants to be here as he grew up at the club, if he does enough and we see a squad place for him based on other players moving on then he gets a new contract, if not he’ll move on and we’re not paying a wage for a player providing no value on the pitch and on the league table.

You could argue for putting a years option in but I don’t really see it as necessary as the risk of us wanting him and losing him is very low.

I'd be surprised if we would be holding out for a transfer fee.
Most unlikely there would be a fee. I was trying (clumsily) to point out that there is nothing in it for the club to give a longer contract as he will effectively still be our player beyond the three months if we so desire. He can’t have a blistering three months and bugger off.

Most unlikely there would be a fee. I was trying (clumsily) to point out that there is nothing in it for the club to give a longer contract as he will effectively still be our player beyond the three months if we so desire. He can’t have a blistering three months and bugger off.
What am i missing. Wont he be out of contract in three months and therefore be able to go anywhere?

Back