• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lewis Gard

Way too good for part time football. No 'meritocracy' as distorted as football.

Hopefully can put himself in the shop window

I didn’t see enough of him to have that opinion. But is he really that good? Or do people just want him to be a success because of his banter. Not my opinion a genuine question.

I didn’t see enough of him to have that opinion. But is he really that good? Or do people just want him to be a success because of his banter. Not my opinion a genuine question.

Don't get me wrong, my sample size is limited also. But he was putting in great performances up in league 1 in a poverty Sol Campbell team. He just always struck me as one of those natural footballers that can trap a ball and spray it into pockets all game long.

Of course that doesn't tell the full story. Politics, different systems from different managers. But it must be hard when in your head you have literally played in League 1 and wasn't out of place but now got to look for a job.

Guessing there was other interest from that level. Strange move IMO, I know tonbridge isn’t a million miles away by any means but if he’s content to play part time for now might as well have stayed more local. Save on the fuel money 😂

Don't get me wrong, my sample size is limited also. But he was putting in great performances up in league 1 in a poverty Sol Campbell team. He just always struck me as one of those natural footballers that can trap a ball and spray it into pockets all game long.

Of course that doesn't tell the full story. Politics, different systems from different managers. But it must be hard when in your head you have literally played in League 1 and wasn't out of place but now got to look for a job.
Same goes for Egbri, I thought he looked pretty decent at times in League One.

Yep, another good example. I do feel his development did drop off, but yes, at times was putting in performances in a full time professional division.

I was speaking to Rob Howard in the center circle lounge when we played Woking. He was telling us how he was gutted to have been dropped again. He made 1 league appearance against Dover and was explaining how he played well and the following day went to the analytics guy at the club to find out how he did. He had made the most amount of successful tackles and interceptions, also was third on pass completion.

2/3 weeks later we had signed Leon Davies and Rob's place was gone. For the record, I am not throwing shade/shots at Kev&co. Because they wanted a more up and down attacking right back for their system.

But it just goes to show that the binary "hes good enough" and "he's not good enough" are too simplistic. Rob statistically had done nothing wrong, but of course he just wasn't the managers flavour. That's what I meant by 'distorted meritocracy' sometimes players are good enough by just doing their job and being a cog in the wheel.

But nonetheless, Rob has now got a good move with Welling in the league below. Nice lad.

He was tearing it up in the u23s when Chris Powell was here and earnt a debut in the JPT only for some dirty Col Ewe ****er to do his ACL when he came on as sub with 5 minutes left at 2-0 down in a dead rubber.

He fought back from that injury and was plunged straight into a league debut at Oxford under Sol on the basis of his performances first week(?) back in training after a year out and without even a reserve game under his belt yet impressed, scoring on his debut in one of our best performances that season albeit we faded and lost after he went off.
Next week he played well again as we beat (an albeit poor) Bristol Rovers, looking the part again with an energetic performance in midfield and intelligent use of the ball.

Then Covid hits and interrupts all momentum just as he was getting back into the swing of things with two good performances (both individually and team) out of two.

Abandoned during lockdown (and furloughed?) he has to continue his rehabilitation by himself. We don’t get a manager until 3 weeks before the season, leaving the team seriously undercooked.

First league game back is against a Harrogate side who returned to training a month earlier and were buoyant having just weeks earlier won in the play-offs. Lewis is paired with Isaac Hutchinson in the centre with Egbri and the loanee Jordan Green on the wings, one of the most inexperienced, and lightweight midfields even seen in the EFL. Unsurprisingly that midfield and line-up gets overrun. He makes 2 further sub appearances before suffering an ACL to the other knee in another pointless JPT match that rules him out for another year.

By the time he’s back he’s on his 7th manager in about 3 years. He goes out on loan to Tilly’s Heybridge and helps turn their season around.

He returns to Southend and makes his first start of the season at Notts County where we go 1-0 up and put up our best 45 minutes of the season to date as we close down fast out of possession and spread the ball nicely in possession but he tires and we end up with an outfield player in goal and losing 4-1 once he’s gone off.

We then sign Harrison Neal on loan to add some steel which pushes him back in the pecking order. He gets only two more starts, one in a makeshift Trophy side, one in the League, both times he has to carry the deadweight of Will Atkinson.

I thought he always looked the part: he was the most comfortable in possession of all our youngsters, he looked to use the ball intelligently, made great runs off the ball that created space for team mates, out of possession he accelerated well to close down opponents and general looked lively. I felt we generally played better with him in the team than out of it, our football was more flowing.

More than any of the wave of youngsters who made their league debut under Sol I felt he looked the part. But that view may be coloured by the paucity of talent we had at the time. The likes of Dunne, Ogogo, Phillips, Atkinson, Kinali, Egbri (although I loved his effort) would make a lot of players seem good in comparison.

My main question mark would be his fitness. I’d like to think that was down to the stop-start nature of his seasons with all those injuries but I was very disappointed when he couldn’t last 90 minutes on his final start (the one where he was replaced by Benton).

He definitely needs games. He may be the unluckiest player, although Sam Barratt, another favourite of mine, might run him close on that front. Only time will tell if he’ll recover from all those set backs that stunted his development. If he does Tonbridge have a gem on their hands.

He was tearing it up in the u23s when Chris Powell was here and earnt a debut in the JPT only for some dirty Col Ewe ****er to do his ACL when he came on as sub with 5 minutes left at 2-0 down in a dead rubber.

He fought back from that injury and was plunged straight into a league debut at Oxford under Sol on the basis of his performances first week(?) back in training after a year out and without even a reserve game under his belt yet impressed, scoring on his debut in one of our best performances that season albeit we faded and lost after he went off.
Next week he played well again as we beat (an albeit poor) Bristol Rovers, looking the part again with an energetic performance in midfield and intelligent use of the ball.

Then Covid hits and interrupts all momentum just as he was getting back into the swing of things with two good performances (both individually and team) out of two.

Abandoned during lockdown (and furloughed?) he has to continue his rehabilitation by himself. We don’t get a manager until 3 weeks before the season, leaving the team seriously undercooked.

First league game back is against a Harrogate side who returned to training a month earlier and were buoyant having just weeks earlier won in the play-offs. Lewis is paired with Isaac Hutchinson in the centre with Egbri and the loanee Jordan Green on the wings, one of the most inexperienced, and lightweight midfields even seen in the EFL. Unsurprisingly that midfield and line-up gets overrun. He makes 2 further sub appearances before suffering an ACL to the other knee in another pointless JPT match that rules him out for another year.

By the time he’s back he’s on his 7th manager in about 3 years. He goes out on loan to Tilly’s Heybridge and helps turn their season around.

He returns to Southend and makes his first start of the season at Notts County where we go 1-0 up and put up our best 45 minutes of the season to date as we close down fast out of possession and spread the ball nicely in possession but he tires and we end up with an outfield player in goal and losing 4-1 once he’s gone off.

We then sign Harrison Neal on loan to add some steel which pushes him back in the pecking order. He gets only two more starts, one in a makeshift Trophy side, one in the League, both times he has to carry the deadweight of Will Atkinson.

I thought he always looked the part: he was the most comfortable in possession of all our youngsters, he looked to use the ball intelligently, made great runs off the ball that created space for team mates, out of possession he accelerated well to close down opponents and general looked lively. I felt we generally played better with him in the team than out of it, our football was more flowing.

More than any of the wave of youngsters who made their league debut under Sol I felt he looked the part. But that view may be coloured by the paucity of talent we had at the time. The likes of Dunne, Ogogo, Phillips, Atkinson, Kinali, Egbri (although I loved his effort) would make a lot of players seem good in comparison.

My main question mark would be his fitness. I’d like to think that was down to the stop-start nature of his seasons with all those injuries but I was very disappointed when he couldn’t last 90 minutes on his final start (the one where he was replaced by Benton).

He definitely needs games. He may be the unluckiest player, although Sam Barratt, another favourite of mine, might run him close on that front. Only time will tell if he’ll recover from all those set backs that stunted his development. If he does Tonbridge have a gem on their hands.
Thanks for the run down. Hope he does get the chance to shine, shame we didn’t give him more of a chance.

If he has been under rated and will now be playing below his true level these things have a way of correcting themselves. It should not be long before interest is shown from bigger clubs.
He was desperately unlucky with us and I hope he both does well at Tonbridge, and, goes on to fulfill the undoubted potential he showed earlier in his career.

Terrell gave 100% every time he played (many didn't) and he could run like the wind. He scared the living daylights out of tiring defences when he came on after 60 minutes. Unfortunately his skill level was limited and he failed to pass accurately. I always felt that he was worth taking aside for intensive one-to-one coaching - maybe that happened and it didn't work, or maybe it was not possible.

Lewis on the other hand seemed to me to have both the skill and the passing ability but was hampered by inexperience and serious injury.

In both cases it's a great shame that they couldn't progress with us and I hope they both go on to have successful careers elsewhere.

I agree , can see a good pass. One of my favourite fringe players.Just needs the right break to make it , Good Luck , Lewis we will resign you in a couple of seasons.

…….and he was our star performer in a narrow and late defeat at Oxford……..

The reality is when young lads get a serious injury or two at the most vital point of their career it is very hard to come back from.

I’m not just talking physically. I mean having the mind set to overcome the a huge step backwards after all the effort and dedication through no fault of your own.

Good luck to Lewis he needs to play a lot of games over the next 2 seasons so a step below is the right move for him

The reality is when young lads get a serious injury or two at the most vital point of their career it is very hard to come back from.

I’m not just talking physically. I mean having the mind set to overcome the a huge step backwards after all the effort and dedication through no fault of your own.

Good luck to Lewis he needs to play a lot of games over the next 2 seasons so a step below is the right move for him
Gary Hooper & Michael Kightly,just two players dropped down and came back stronger

I agree , can see a good pass. One of my favourite fringe players.Just needs the right break to make it , Good Luck , Lewis we will resign you in a couple of seasons.
On the contrary,I hope we have nothing to do with a resignation by Lewis Gard.

Back