• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Leyton Orient 2-0 Southend Utd

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
A defeat and some very tired players. Release your angst, views and ratings here.

Thought we looked off the pace all game tonight. Credit though to Orient though, they looked sharp, eager to close us down and forced us into playing long hopefull balls which we never looked like getting anything from.
Let’s not kid ourselves it’s going to be a slog to get out of this, but the table looks a hell of a lot better than a few weeks ago. We go again Saturday!!

Poor. Missed someone to put his foot on the ball in midfield (Taylor or Macca) and ANG / Egbri made the wrong decision numerous times when in good positions. That said, aside from the lad on the right we never looked like letting a goal in. Well executed free kick, but the wall was closer to 15 yards than 10. If that was the rule then teams wouldn’t have a wall they’d just defend on the line.

A night for perspective. We’ve given ourselves a fighting chance to stay in the league and with January just around the corner now. At the start of December we had 5 points and already looked dead and buried

We had players missing tonight who I’m sure would have come in for a bit more rotation so soon after Boxing Day.

To not have either of Macca or Taylor was a big blow.

Oxley 6
Bwomono 6
Hobson 6
White 6
Hart 5
Egbri 5
Demetriou 6
Olayinka 4
Dieng 6
ANG 7 MOTM
Akinola 6

Walsh 5
Taylor R 5
Halford 5

Ref 0

Second best all over the pitch. The O’s did a number on us, playing 3 centre forwards. The 2 tall athletic players Wilkinson & Angol pinned our marauding full backs deep in our own half and Hart especially showed his defensive flaws. Wilkinson tore him a new one and was exceptional. Hate that ref with a passion but we did not deserve anything tonight, back to reality.

You win some, you lose some. We've played all but 3 teams in this league to date and I can honestly say other than one or two teams, I've not been impressed with anyone. The standard of quality in this league is shocking. Take tonight for example, for as good as Orient were, we were just as bad. We looked leggy from the first whistle, one or two look like they are carrying knocks and we just never got a foot hold in the game. We deserved to lose. We shouldn't forget the results we've had this month though which have given us more than a fighting chance to beat the drop.

We are entering January now and with that brings the transfer window. For as well as the squad have done over the last month, we desperately need reinforcements. We still don't know whether or not Taylor and Olayinka will extend their loans, both if it were up to me would as I think without them we are a poorer team. Macca and White are also coming to an end to their contracts, do they both get extensions till the end of the season? For me, we still need a striker, a central midfielder in the mould of Macca.. just with younger legs and another central defender.

Tonight's disappointing, no denying that and losing against that lot makes it harder to stomach but we must move on.

Oxley 6
Bwomono 6
Hobson 6
White 6
Hart 5
Egbri 5
Demetriou 6
Olayinka 4
Dieng 6
ANG 7 MOTM
Akinola 6

Walsh 5
Taylor R 5
Halford 5

Ref 0

Second best all over the pitch. The O’s did a number on us, playing 3 centre forwards. The 2 tall athletic players Wilkinson & Angol pinned our marauding full backs deep in our own half and Hart especially showed his defensive flaws. Wilkinson tore him a new one and was exceptional. Hate that ref with a passion but we did not deserve anything tonight, back to reality.

Forgot to add Olayinka did not look fit and to such an extent appeared completely immobile. We had no energy in the middle of the park, where we outnumbered there 2, McAnuff & Clay who controlled our 3?

Other than the form guide, we had no right to hope for a result tonight, fair play to Orient they made that pitch look big tonight and stretched us.
I was hoping for a Halford start in central midfield tbh, just to win the ball and help keep it and give a boost to players around him but wasnt to be. The way Orient just burst through our midfield for the second goal was sad to watch.
Noticed Sam Hart needs to get a lot closer to his man, i'll be a lot happier seeing him create from midfield again. Good effort but nil points

The leggy thing was clearly a factor.
But there are players, who when the chips are down, are not fit for purpose.
Please don't anyone tell me Egbri harries and chases: that's all he does! Frankly, that's all he almost ever does.
He's not physical enough for this league, while Richard Taylor reminds me too much of Acquah in both the way he runs and the influence he has on a game.
Hobson, Elvis, White and 'Oxbree' (what a tool that commentator was!) will do as a defence - but Hart?
All the more gutting are the teams winning around us, and it was back down the snake for us tonight!

A game simply lost in midfield......without any quality we lost the cover of the back four and the link up with the front line.We looked totally disjointed and unbalanced all night with many simple passes going astray.
An experienced McCormack type transforms the way the team plays as a unit ....so some big calls by MM to be made in Jan re Macca's fitness and Taylors loan spell.
Just a very frustrating night all round

Looked like we had too many players who had passed a late fitness test but shouldn't have. On the bench though MM didn't have too much choice. Just shows sadly that we need reinforcements in January who are strong and fit. Hope we can budget for that. Wilkinson needed doubling up on and once ANG was eventually used for that we lost his influence further forward and we had no ambition other to contain and hope for a break the other end. Might have worked if the ref knew what 10 yards looked like but after that free shot on goal we didn't have the guile or stamina to get back in the game. But we are where we are and December has been a good month. If we actually get to play the likes of Barrow, Grimsby, Mansfield, Bradford in January we have a decent chance of inching our way to safety.

1 Game to far tonight. First half was pretty even but second half we looked tired and orient stepped it up a gear. Better team won tonight unfortunately....

Orient deserved to win ..Still we have done very well the last month
At least we are not cut adrift ..I hope are fledgling confidence has not been damaged too much

Back