• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Leyton Orient 2-0 Southend Utd

Alright, alright Jonny, don't rub it in. You fully deserved to win. But where do you get those commentators from?
In particular the demented one who was obsessed with the time-wasting by Oxley (which he wasn't) every time he took a goal kick, but worse was when he kept asking questions to his colleague of things he should have known himself like, "who did Walsh replace Matt?", "who is captain now White has gone off Matt?", "what did you think of that decision Matt?" "Have you got any cheese ones left Matt?"
Maybe not the last one, but he needs pensioning off.
My favourite bit was at half time when they said they were off to Paul Hiscock

Back to last place one point behind Stevenage, and, four behind Grimsby, Barrow and Mansfield. Thank goodness for our five match unbeaten run otherwise things would be looking impossible. Nevertheless, avoiding relegation will not be easy, and, I doubt if it can be done unless more reinforcements arrive.
The situation is complicated by the fact that we do not yet know the long term status of Olayinka and Kyle Taylor. It would be a serious blow to our survival prospects if we were to lose both when their loan periods expire.
Unlike most on here I feel our most pressing need is at least one more midfielder. This is because we look so much less competitive when Macca or KT do not play, Was this a major reason for our fall in performance last night? I would say it was, and, it was interesting that the stats gave us only 31% possession. If either Macca, KT or both, had played I suspect we would have had a good deal more of the ball.
Macca has so far played six times for us this season, but, over the last six years has only played 100 games and 50 in the last three. That rounds off at something like sixteen to seventeen games a season. We have twenty six games to play, and, Macca might only turn out in twelve of them, at the most. Of course, this is just a projection and it could be that he is a regular from now on, That would be a happy bonus but common sense demands we plan for a less happy outcome.
We need to find some midfield reinforcement(s) urgently. And that this even if we are able to renew Kyle Taylor's loan. While signing a twenty goal striker would be handy no one will score prolifically for us if we are overrun in midfield game after game.
If we are unable to field Kyle Taylor and/or Macca on a regular basis for the rest of the season it will be very hard for us to stay up. Signing at least one more competent midfielder is a must.

I see Newport game was called off yesterday due to their pitch, is it bad thing for Saturday game to be called off so the players have a break and more likely to pick up points in the fixtures coming up.

I see Newport game was called off yesterday due to their pitch, is it bad thing for Saturday game to be called off so the players have a break and more likely to pick up points in the fixtures coming up.
It’s been very wet in the south west over the last couple of weeks, however the forecast for the next few days is cold and dry, with maybe the odd shower. I can’t see it still being waterlogged by Saturday.

It’s been very wet in the south west over the last couple of weeks, however the forecast for the next few days is cold and dry, with maybe the odd shower. I can’t see it still being waterlogged by Saturday.
Shame in some ways as 10 day rest could done the lads world of good, especially with grimsby and Barrow coming up!

Dulcet Dave has needed pensioning off for years. He is legendary for his gaffes, mispronunciations and Orient bias. Most O’s fans treat him with the kindly indulgence one usually reserves for a faithful but decrepit dog that has begun to s**t on the carpet, but I find him an active embarrassment.

As for Matt Hiscock, I doubt there’s a more balanced club commentary summariser in the division. Can’t wait for him to take over tbh.
I was quite impressed by Dave when before the kick off he mentioned Ernie Shepherd and our old Scottish blue kit from around 1968.....maybe you can promote him to mascot and dress him up as a Lizard like on your club badge as a thank you

A break could be very welcome. Kyle Taylor will welcome more time to recover physically as well as any recovery from any apparent covid related testing.
Struggling to see macca doing 60 mins any time soon and with both theyre contracts ending decisions will I assume be weighed up on cost v availaility.
Olayinka doesn't look 100% and once again we were probably forced to play someone who ideally would have been rested. (As evidenced by the bench!).
Felt JD was struggling to try and fill the void left by the absence of macca or taylor, and losing diengs flexibilty by putting him in a specific middle role made us far less effective. Don't see JD going back to right back anytime soon or at all to be honest because he's effective in that break up\niggling role in the middle when he's got a partner in crime to work with.
I'm hoping white gets an extension which wouldn't be expensive. His arm seems to be holding up which must be the main worry.
Much as like taylor, he seems to struggle to cope physically with the demand of the league 2 game on the body. Hope we can extend his loan if it's a reasonably cheap affordable option.
As pointed out, what we are getting from macca is exactly what was predictable with both performance and fitness. It's hard to make a case for anything other than a pay as you play contract.
All the above issues are a nightmare for MM trying to build a team and a plan for every game not knowing who will be fit enough to make a start in the middle 1\3, which is where we are winning or losing games.
That's why I think a break this weekend could help a bit. It will increase the odds on getting a better team out for the following game but it won't solve any ongoing problems.

As others have said, we deserved to lose last night and looked very tired from the outset. All the things we did right against Col Ewe, we were unable to repeat last night - maybe this was a game too far for a few of them (JD, ANG, Akinola, Hart) but one look at the bench said that MM had to use them again. We just seemed a lot lower tempo last night.

Olayinka was ineffective and Akinola and ANG didn't seem to have quite the same zip about them as in the previous games. Hart was really struggling against Wilkinson and that may be because ANG wasn't working quite as hard defensively.

If we could have freshened up last night by bringing in Macca for JD and Clifford for ANG (with Hart moving forwards) then we might have seen a more effective performance, but clearly they're not quite ready yet. Kyle Taylor was a big miss last night too and I actually prefer him to Olayinka as he offers more protection for the back four and is less selfish going forwards.

The subs offered very little when they came on - I know he scored on his debut but I fail to see what Halford offers (other than a decent long throw), and can't see him being kept on in January. Louis Walsh didn't really have a chance to show us anything and we really lost our shape after the substitutions too.

The players clearly need a rest and it won't be the worst thing in the world if Newport's pitch is still waterlogged on Friday (when I hope they'd do an inspection to save us travelling). If that game does go ahead it's likely to be another energy sapping heavy pitch which doesn't really help us.

Alright, alright Jonny, don't rub it in. You fully deserved to win. But where do you get those commentators from?
In particular the demented one who was obsessed with the time-wasting by Oxley (which he wasn't) every time he took a goal kick, but worse was when he kept asking questions to his colleague of things he should have known himself like, "who did Walsh replace Matt?", "who is captain now White has gone off Matt?", "what did you think of that decision Matt?" "Have you got any cheese ones left Matt?"
Maybe not the last one, but he needs pensioning off.
"Dulcet" Dave Victor is an institution at Orient. His quirks only go to further endear him to the faithful. I understand he is guiding "Matt" to a career in broadcasting so seeks to get him involved. Orient had a pro commentator for their video streaming service but the fans wanted Dave to do it, which he does. His commentary is used for both audio and video streaming so he has to compromise between the two.

By the way, ALL O's fans fans want you to avoid the drop. It's pretty dire down there in the NL and let's face it, our rivalry is only good if we get to play against each other. Long may that continue.

Funny game, football! Following Saturday virtually all of us were chomping at the bit for Tuesday and our 'next victims' Orient to arrive. Now there are as many praying that Saturday's match against Newport will be called off!:Smile: If it does go ahead, important to know when Kyle Taylor's self-isolation ends and whether he will be available.

Back