• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Liam Ridgewell

The odd thing is, if we want rid of him then why pay him to sit at home and do nothing? I’d have him in every day running laps of the training ground in the pouring rain - that might make him think again and ready to negotiate a pay off!

Maybe we aren’t. I’d have a decent guess he’s one of the first team who hasn’t been paid. Ron run out of patience maybe? If there’s a limited pot of money to go on wages it would make sense for the likes of Ridgewell to be at the very end of that list, rightly or wrongly.

Isnt that where things like constructive dismissal come into it?
Constructive dismissal usually when you put someone in a position where it is stressful, they do not have the skill set, causes mental anxiety! He would be required to come in and prove he is fit! Run around for a couple of hours and go home!

Trouble is nobody knows the situation. A lot of us are assuming he’s still getting paid, as we have no other reason to think otherwise.

Having said that, we had a sort of similar thing with Kightly at the end of last year, where the Echo reported he was “set to retire”, with no announcement until months afterwards, even though it was clear he retired straight after the season.

It could be that Ridgewell has left, the club and echo just haven’t announced it.

Plus if he’s not at training and not injured it becomes more likely he’s not here anymore

I don't think it's anything like Kightly last season, he was still making plenty of appearances, and still training.

The odd thing is, if we want rid of him then why pay him to sit at home and do nothing? I’d have him in every day running laps of the training ground in the pouring rain - that might make him think again and ready to negotiate a pay off!

Maybe just maybe it suits both clubs, LR paid well doesn’t turn up instant fine, club pay less salary, player happy to be paid less and look to run down contract whilst looking at new avenues..........
Club doesn’t need to pay one off payment that can ill afford

Didn’t mean his contribution to the pitch, meant the revealing of information to the fans

There is a slight difference, the Kightly stuff was happening out of season, if your releasing a player during the season then you have to de register with the EFL within a set period of time from the termination, as of now he is still registered with the EFL.

But i take your point the lack of info is terrible, Sol said discussions were on going in November I think and we have not heard anything since. My only assumption is that one side isnt willing to end the contract, could be Ridgewell or could be the club and lack of funds etc

There is a slight difference, the Kightly stuff was happening out of season, if your releasing a player during the season then you have to de register with the EFL within a set period of time from the termination, as of now he is still registered with the EFL.

But i take your point the lack of info is terrible, Sol said discussions were on going in November I think and we have not heard anything since. My only assumption is that one side isnt willing to end the contract, could be Ridgewell or could be the club and lack of funds etc

Unless he is prepared to take a substantial reduction in what he is owed under the contract then given the current cash flow the club would, I am sure, prefer to just continuing paying his contract. There may be an element of him saying I will go now for 80% and the club saying 60% but Ridgewell is almost certainly wealthiy enough to wait his money in instalments and that might suit us.

One rider is the current scenario might make him think 60% odf something is better than nothing- the counter is if we had the 60% we would be paying the stewards, staff and other players before paying him up front.

Not sure the club sharing this is particular helpful or good press. Hence, it has faded into the background.

Unless he is prepared to take a substantial reduction in what he is owed under the contract then given the current cash flow the club would, I am sure, prefer to just continuing paying his contract. There may be an element of him saying I will go now for 80% and the club saying 60% but Ridgewell is almost certainly wealthiy enough to wait his money in instalments and that might suit us.

One rider is the current scenario might make him think 60% odf something is better than nothing- the counter is if we had the 60% we would be paying the stewards, staff and other players before paying him up front.

Not sure the club sharing this is particular helpful or good press. Hence, it has faded into the background.
I couldn't agree more, was a point i was trying to make without going into such detail

I guess it’s all down to cash flow - clearly with reported problems paying stewards, players and other staff Ron has cash flow problems. Not surprising given the lack of cup runs and the lack of home games recently.

Even if Ridgewell were prepared to accept a lower lump sum payment, Ron may not have access to that much money so it’s easier to keep paying the monthly wage for now until the cash flow improves (by which time the lump sum will be lower anyway).

It’s all very weird BUT , lots of assumptions are being made, and most of the time this happens on SZ we find out some more info at some point which makes posters change their view.

Been with us for 5 months, and has played 50-odd minutes of first-team football, and (to my recollection), one U23 game.

Not bad work, if you can get it.

I'd love to actually meet the man himself and ask him what happened. Yes clearly he was unfit when he played against Blackpool and it was a shocking performance. I didn't expect that to be the one and only time he appeared in a Southend first team game.

Nobody knows how Ridgwell is being paid - it could be on a pay-per-game basis. Assumptions are that he's taking £X thousands out of the club. That may not be the case - however @Leigh_Seasider I sincerely doubt he'll play for us again.

Back