• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Liam Ridgewell

Very interesting.

I thought something more was at play when watching Rylee Doe's Essex charity podcast with Kevin Bond, where Liam Ridgewell was bought up and Bond's body language changed then went on to give a very 'politician' like answer.

No player has ever taken the p out of Southend so much in my time. I would love to know how much he cost the club in total for less than one first team game of football. He's aiming to be a manager as well, Lol.

Where's my guy @GBJ at?! We need you to work your magic ASAP boss.

(Obviously nothing that would put the site at a legal risk)

Isn't there an ongoing contractual dispute and the PFA got involved? Or have I got that wrong?

Fairly standard in an exit-package contractual negotiation so as not to bad mouth the employer in any way. Might have been the most salacious bit of gossip the club has ever known, or it might be nothing at all. The NDA in itself means nothing.

Thanks mate, learn something new everyday. Just did not think Non disclosure type legal papers were used in football that regularly.

Time will *hopefully* tell what really went down....

No player has ever taken the p out of Southend so much in my time. I would love to know how much he cost the club in total for less than one first team game of football. He's aiming to be a manager as well, Lol.
I actually think that's harsh. Bond signed him, Bond played him when unfit when everyone, including the player, knew he shouldn't play. Ridgewell even said he wasn't fit enough to play. Then Bond does his picking the team, formation and tactics out of the hat, new line up, different system, roll the dice and Ridgewell is in. Isn't fit, plays poorly, taken off and never seen again. Who to sign and who to play are the managers decisions, not the players.

I actually think that's harsh. Bond signed him, Bond played him when unfit when everyone, including the player, knew he shouldn't play. Ridgewell even said he wasn't fit enough to play. Then Bond does his picking the team, formation and tactics out of the hat, new line up, different system, roll the dice and Ridgewell is in. Isn't fit, plays poorly, taken off and never seen again. Who to sign and who to play are the managers decisions, not the players.

Huh... none of that is true if you listened to (and believe) the recent interview with Bond. Ridgewell said he was ok, coach said he was pulling up trees..... Bond went with that.

Huh... none of that is true if you listened to (and believe) the recent interview with Bond. Ridgewell said he was ok, coach said he was pulling up trees..... Bond went with that.
I haven't listened to that interview. I remember Ridgewell at the time doing an interview saying he wasn't fit and needed time because he hadn't done a proper preseason. I think that's fair enough, he hadn't been with us long at all.
Then I remember Bond playing yet another weird line up and formation that made no sense. I blame Bond for the decisions he made.

Good appointment in my humble opinion. Dover are in trouble and Ridgewell brings a wealth of experience. Think he will give them a real boost.

DOVER ATHLETIC
Dover sign ex-Aston Villa, Birmingham and West Brom player
National League strugglers Dover Athletic sign an ex-Aston Villa, Birmingham and West Brom player, it has been confirmed this week.
The fifth tier side were on the lookout for a first-team coach after Darren Hare departed the club in November to take on a new role outside the game.
36 year old Liam Ridgewell decided to retire from playing football earlier this year but has been keen to get into coaching and has since joined Dover boss Andy Hessenthaler.

“I didn’t know him personally but obviously I was aware of what he’s done in the game,” explained Hessenthaler.
“He asked if he could come in and it’s an opportunity to work with the boys.
“It’s a voice that’s been there and done it in the game and he brings different opinions. He sees things the right way and the boys have taken to him already.
“We’re working on something so he can come in until the end of the season, but whether it becomes that long term or not we will have to wait and see.
“When you look at some of the goals we’ve conceded, can he work with the boys and help make us better?”

At the beginning of last season, Ridgewell played 52 minutes for Southend but hasn’t featured since, officially retiring from the game in April.
He’s not expected to play for Dover, although Hessenthaler would have loved to call on a player of that experience in the National League.
“I did ask him and he smiled,” said Hessenthaler. “I’ve got to say he does look lean and fit so you never know – I might keep badgering him!”
Ridgewell has played for the likes of played for Aston Villa, Birmingham and West Brom between 2002 and 2014, making over a total of 300 appearances. The former England under-21 international moved to the MLS (Major League Soccer) to play for Portland Timbers six years ago but has since had brief spells at Wigan, Brighton, Hull and Southend, who he left in January.

He's obviously very ambitious, let's wish him all the best in his new position!

Up the Blues

Back