• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dean Austin please, only because Edinburgh isn't available, my first 2 choices and not because they are ex players, both have impressive coaching/managerial records

Dan Cowley from Braintree for me. Slight risk some might say, but has one of the best records in Non-league football. Took Concord Rangers from Essex Senior league to Conf south in a few years, which is 4 promotions along with 2 ryman cups and 2 essex senior cups and also an FA cup run.

Now in his first season at Braintree town (who have the lowest budget in the national league and train 2 nights a week) and in the play offs. Just remarkable stuff.

Dan Cowley from Braintree for me. Slight risk some might say, but has one of the best records in Non-league football. Took Concord Rangers from Essex Senior league to Conf south in a few years, which is 4 promotions along with 2 ryman cups and 2 essex senior cups and also an FA cup run.

Now in his first season at Braintree town (who have the lowest budget in the national league and train 2 nights a week) and in the play offs. Just remarkable stuff.

What's his record developing players like?

Has he introduced any young players who have gone onto better things or does he just get the most out of experienced players?

I still can't believe people are picking our next manager without knowing when Phil Brown is going. With a playoff run in going on, it's a bit unsettling for the players and the manager. It doesn't help.

I still can't believe people are picking our next manager without knowing when Phil Brown is going. With a playoff run in going on, it's a bit unsettling for the players and the manager. It doesn't help.
To be fair PB has had ample opportunity to come out say there's no truth in the Bolton rumours, until he does there will be speculation, it's the nature of the business he's in.

Managers come and Managers go so whats new move on until there is proof that any change is happening .

To be fair PB has had ample opportunity to come out say there's no truth in the Bolton rumours, until he does there will be speculation, it's the nature of the business he's in.

Fair enough, but what he has said is that he will be here till the end of the season at least, and possibly a lot longer. So why start naming lots of managers right now?
I'm all for it once he says he's going.

What's his record developing players like?

Has he introduced any young players who have gone onto better things or does he just get the most out of experienced players?

That's a great question.

PB seems to prefer to go for either established lower league players or EPL youngsters on loan or that are about to be released rather than scour the lower leagues looking for that one diamond that you can develop and then sell upwards.

That income would make a real difference to a club like ours

Fair enough, but what he has said is that he will be here till the end of the season at least, and possibly a lot longer. So why start naming lots of managers right now?
I'm all for it once he says he's going.
Because if there is any truth in it then Ron will know, I think their relationship is strong and PB wouldn't do the dirty behind Ron's back, that in turn means Ron will be looking at other managers so it's fair game for the fans to chip in with their views on a forum surely ?

Because if there is any truth in it then Ron will know, I think their relationship is strong and PB wouldn't do the dirty behind Ron's back, that in turn means Ron will be looking at other managers so it's fair game for the fans to chip in with their views on a forum surely ?

Yes, but don't forget Phil Brown has been linked to many clubs on here. Each time, new managers are being suggested. Each time it has turned out to be false. About 7 weeks ago, someone said he was off to Fulham or somewhere. Been so many I can't remember. A done deal, he said from his never wrong contact.
He could well end up at Bolton in the future, but not this season. I know quite a few of our players read everything on here, and just feel it could be unsettling if they think their manager is off at a most important time.

That's a great question.

PB seems to prefer to go for either established lower league players or EPL youngsters on loan or that are about to be released rather than scour the lower leagues looking for that one diamond that you can develop and then sell upwards.

That income would make a real difference to a club like ours

Actually most of PB's loaned EPL youngsters weren't about to be released.

Only really Sokolik and Egan fall into that category (and we didn't get either). Coulthirst, Woodrow, Binnom-Williams, Loza (at least first time round), Murphy all flopped at Southend and got retained. Hendrie's not about to be released and McQueen's another one who looks unlikely that he'll be released. Loza's now with a view to a permanent.

It's the slightly older Championship players that have been about to be released - Bolger, McLaughlin, Pigott, O'Neill, Thompson, Cassidy.

(Rea and Kiernan were championship but weren't about to be released).

Back