• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OAJS

Full Back
I'm currently midway through an assignment on Subculture's during the 60's (No, I'm not a history student), and was wondering if anybody could give me an insight, personal experiences or simply a description of what being a Southend Supporter was during the 60's.

Any references to the Mods, Rockers, "Football Hooliganism" etc, or even any of these being interlinked with Southend on a matchday would be very much appreciated, wasn't fortunate enough to be part of it myself!

Any help would be highly appreciated, and I hope you don't mind me using you as references!

Dad of Dave the Shrimper is your man..try searching through some of his posts as a start.

I'm currently midway through an assignment on Subculture's during the 60's (No, I'm not a history student), and was wondering if anybody could give me an insight, personal experiences or simply a description of what being a Southend Supporter was during the 60's.

Any references to the Mods, Rockers, "Football Hooliganism" etc, or even any of these being interlinked with Southend on a matchday would be very much appreciated, wasn't fortunate enough to be part of it myself!

Any help would be highly appreciated, and I hope you don't mind me using you as references!
You should get in touch with Ian Leask(he's on Facebook),Charlie Benson,Nobbler or DadofDavetheShrimper on here.

Friday nights packed into a North Bank standing terrace. If you didn't get in the North Bank an hour before kick off, you had to go. elsewhere. Crowds of 15,000. Great atmosphere, packed like sardines.

Friday nights packed into a North Bank standing terrace. If you didn't get in the North Bank an hour before kick off, you had to go. elsewhere. Crowds of 15,000. Great atmosphere, packed like sardines.

Or you could move round to the South Bank to watch us kick toward the South Bank goal.
Talking of the South Bank, just a huge terrace, in an era when most grounds offered mainly terracing.
Watching us thump the likes of Kings Lynn & Brentwood.
Billy Best.
Trips to strange Northern outposts, and the odd altecation that would ensue.
Tips to Layabout Road and wrecking the joint, and thereby improving the facilities.

But above all my mates, sadly a few who are no longer with us.

I found this picture of Roots Hall a few days ago on an online photo album, Mark Phillips retweeted it too. I don't know when it's from but it might help you identify the South Bank terrace that Canveyshrimper is talking about :)2010-09-16_33.jpg

Watching the local Brass Band playing around the pitch before kick-off. All evening k.o.'s were at 7.30 p.m., and half time was 10 minutes.
Also, after we would score at the North Bank end, there were enough toilet rolls thrown onto the goal net to last your family a week!. That was if you were quick enough to grab them before Horace Harris (the programme seller who wore the west ham bobble hat), scooped them up!.

Busy day at the market ...
Yep, and if you look, Gainsborough Drive has cars parked facing both ways so it must be at a time when those roads were two way....and what a nightmare they were! I remember on my first driving test having to do a 3 point turn on one of them, awful cambers and next to no room!

The South Bank was amazing, used to quite often stand on it with friends...a very sad loss when it was sold off for property.

Hi, I have PM'd you re this. Cheers

Or you could move round to the South Bank to watch us kick toward the South Bank goal.
Talking of the South Bank, just a huge terrace, in an era when most grounds offered mainly terracing.
Watching us thump the likes of Kings Lynn & Brentwood.
Billy Best.
Trips to strange Northern outposts, and the odd altecation that would ensue.
Tips to Layabout Road and wrecking the joint, and thereby improving the facilities.

But above all my mates, sadly a few who are no longer with us.

"We have seen the chimes at midnight,you and I mister Swallow."(Falstaff.Henry IV Part 1).
And we have,haven't we,Harry?(though not together I hasten to add):winking:

Sitting on the perimeter wall on the East side before the East stand was extended - feet on the pitch side - there exists a photo of mfurok and me watching Mike Beesley score at the North goal - published in the Southend Standard :cricko:

I also remember sitting on the South bank wall legs pitch side and the stewards would on their rounds ask you to sit with your legs the stand side which you did only to revert back once they had gone.

I also remember lads coming round the pitch with big trays selling sweets/crisps etc.

Back