• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Had the good fortune to run into Tilly and Brush at last night's Daggers game. Great blokes the pair of them, and they were more than happy to have a chat. I don't think anything they said was told to me in confidence, so I'm happy to share...

On Gary Hooper...
T&B were at Dagenham to see him play. Both of them see Hoops as an excellent player, but are struggling to see what the solution is. He's failed to score for us in numerous games, yet the moment he goes out on loan, he starts tucking them away for fun. T&B wanted to see whether it was the standard of football, or if there were other reasons they should know about. For me, the standard of football on show last night was poor, and I hope we never fall back to that level. Hooper was, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best players on the pitch. The other quality player on show was Hooper's partner, Macdonald. T&B said that they'd tried tapping up West Brom for some decent players, but Macdonald's name never came up.

On Charlie MacDonald...
Charlie was injured in the reserves game yesterday. They expected him to be out for about ten days, so he won't feature in the next couple of games.

On Walker and Barnard...
While we were talking about Hooper's loan arrangements, I suggested that the replacements T&B had brought in didn't look too shabby at the moment. They both commented that Barnard seems to be an excellent finisher - we've seen that for ourselves, and his record for Tottenham's reserves backs it up. When speaking about Walker though, it was clear that both see him as a truly exceptional talent, and one that's going to go some way in the game. Both gave the impression that we've done really well to get this player at the club. Like Barnard, I think we've seen some positive initial signs. Let's hope they're right long-term. It all explains why Tilson thinks our forward line is the best we've had.

On Zoltan Liptak...
I asked them about the situation with Zoltan, and the thinking behind him needing six months to adapt to our game. The biggest problem, it seems, is one of communication. He's only 21 years old, and training/playing with a club overseas was always going to take some adjustment. T&B both see the need for our centre-backs to be vocal, and Zoltan is still a million miles away from that at the moment. They can barely get a peep out of him. It's partly a language barrier, but he also seems to be quite a quiet lad anyway.

Last edited:
Good descriptive post SHB.

Good feedback from T&B.

On a seperate note, watching Anglia Soccer Night last night, Perry Groves thinks we'll make the Play-Offs at the very least, but he also thinks we might surprise a few people and take the 2nd Automatic place.

On a seperate note, watching Anglia Soccer Night last night, Perry Groves thinks we'll make the Play-Offs at the very least, but he also thinks we might surprise a few people and take the 2nd Automatic place.

Blimey, he's changed his tune. He thought we'd be nearer the relegation zone than the playoffs the last time I saw it & he was on.

Reserves & Daggers in one day.
That's a valuable use of time.

You're not wrong - surprised myself there. Two in one day was a bit odd, but I'd booked a few days out of the office and the missus was working yesterday. Thought to myself 'why not?'

Quite enjoyed both games (even if I didn't catch everything that happened in some of them!!)

:angel:

top snooping SBH... some interesting comments and it's good to hear about the situation with Liptak. glad they are excited about Walker, seems it really was worth the perseverance and effort to get him here

Had the good fortune to run into Tilly and Brush at last night's Daggers game....

I saw you chatting to them, SBH, but you don't mention that Ron Martin, David Webb and Peter Taylor were standing next to them chatting with you too.....?

:p :p :rolleyes: :D

I saw you chatting to them, SBH, but you don't mention that Ron Martin, David Webb and Peter Taylor were standing next to them chatting with you too.....?

:p :p :rolleyes: :D

Ha ha, not forgetting Barry Fry, Rob Newman, Shaun Goater, an injured Jay Smith, Lord Lucan and Shergar.

:p

Ha ha, not forgetting Barry Fry, Rob Newman, Stan Collymore, Shaun Goater, an injured Jay Smith, Lord Lucan and Shergar.

Touche - but how did Jay Smith manage to ride Shergar while still in his wheel chair* ????

And I still can't believe that the enigma that is Wiggy was supposedly right there standing with everyone and STILL no one accosted him/her and claimed their £5.

:confused:

*or "Bath Chair" as MtS so delightfully called it.

Last edited:
great update from T&B.

agree about the standard when you think Hereford were second and could have gone top the game was very poor.

thanks to Hank for the update -

the wonders of lower league footy - supporters chatting to the management and getting sensible answers -

Few good things to hear there, lots that many had assumed to be the case, but to hear it from those that matter is good!! Thanks SBH.

p.s. I wont ask you what the score was :p

Did you not raise the question about how they expect us to defend set pieces and keep clean sheets with a load of midgets at the back?

Had the good fortune to run into Tilly and Brush at last night's Daggers game. Great blokes the pair of them, and they were more than happy to have a chat. I don't think anything they said was told to me in confidence, so I'm happy to share...

On Gary Hooper...
T&B were at Dagenham to see him play. Both of them see Hoops as an excellent player, but are struggling to see what the solution is. He's failed to score for us in numerous games, yet the moment he goes out on loan, he starts tucking them away for fun. T&B wanted to see whether it was the standard of football, or if there were other reasons they should know about. For me, the standard of football on show last night was poor, and I hope we never fall back to that level. Hooper was, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best players on the pitch. The other quality player on show was Hooper's partner, Macdonald. T&B said that they'd tried tapping up West Brom for some decent players, but Macdonald's name never came up.

On Charlie MacDonald...
Charlie was injured in the reserves game yesterday. They expected him to be out for about ten days, so he won't feature in the next couple of games.

On Walker and Barnard...
While we were talking about Hooper's loan arrangements, I suggested that the replacements T&B had brought in didn't look too shabby at the moment. They both commented that Barnard seems to be an excellent finisher - we've seen that for ourselves, and his record for Tottenham's reserves backs it up. When speaking about Walker though, it was clear that both see him as a truly exceptional talent, and one that's going to go some way in the game. Both gave the impression that we've done really well to get this player at the club. Like Barnard, I think we've seen some positive initial signs. Let's hope they're right long-term. It all explains why Tilson thinks our forward line is the best we've had.

On Zoltan Liptak...
I asked them about the situation with Zoltan, and the thinking behind him needing six months to adapt to our game. The biggest problem, it seems, is one of communication. He's only 21 years old, and training/playing with a club overseas was always going to take some adjustment. T&B both see the need for our centre-backs to be vocal, and Zoltan is still a million miles away from that at the moment. They can barely get a peep out of him. It's partly a language barrier, but he also seems to be quite a quiet lad anyway.

Well done Hank, reserves and Daggers, welcome to the proper supporter club, just hope that your judgement is better than Yorkshire Blue.

Well done Hank, reserves and Daggers, welcome to the proper supporter club, just hope that your judgement is better than Yorkshire Blue.
That will the supporters that dont even know the result at the end of game then?

Well done Hank, reserves and Daggers, welcome to the proper supporter club...

Ah, thanks Wiggles.

xx

I'm not sure how going to watch a match at Dagenham makes me a proper Southend United supporter though. I just fancied the game as it's not something I've done before.

...just hope that your judgement is better than Yorkshire Blue.

Of course it is. My judgement is 100 times better than YB's.

...but then Yorkshire Blue's is still INFINITELY better than yours!!

:finger: :thump:

Love and hugs.
SBH.

Last edited:
Back