• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
On the weekend that saw the UK release of the Brian Clough movie 'The Damned United', it was alarming to see Manchester United's discipline crumbling in a way that 'Old Big 'Ed' would never have tolerated. The legendary Nottingham Forest and Derby manager was rarely short of a quote and I can only imagine what he would have made of Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo's antics at Craven Cottage.

Clough believed that match officials should be respected and allowed to carry out their duties unmolested, a concept that would probably startle Rooney and Ronaldo. He would fine his players if they protested decisions, insisting that any mistakes or misjudgements would be evened out by the end of the season. Clough was no angel. Directors, journalists, opposing managers, his own players and even the fans were the targets of his anger on occasion, but he knew that a team who could keep their heads would eventually benefit from simple human nature. In any walk of life, it's always easier to give a marginal decision to the party you like the most, and referees loved Nottingham Forest.

You'd be hard pushed to find a referee who loves Manchester United though. Phil Dowd looked like a stressed-out single mother on Saturday, struggling to keep control of a pack of misbehaving children. Amongst the incessant whingeing and whining, there was Ronaldo hitching up his shorts to show what the bigger boys had done to him and Rooney hurling the ball away like a frustrated five year old who hates this stupid game. Perhaps, rather than getting his cards out, Dowd should have just threatened to stop their pocket money.

Paul Scholes' dismissal was a moment of instinctive foolishness that could happen to anyone. Rooney's was entirely self-inflicted and fully deserved. There can be no sympathy for a footballer who behaves so petulantly while already on a yellow card. There would have been little compassion either, had Ronaldo followed him down the tunnel for anyone of his diva-like misdemeanours. When will he figure out that referees cottoned on to his injury-feigning nonsense ages ago? When will he finally stop trying to have his fellow professionals sent off?

Neither of them are young enough to be excused on the grounds of immaturity. Rooney has been playing Premier League football since 2002, Ronaldo since 2003. They've both experienced enough top level football to know how they should behave. While the rest of the world gloomily contemplates redundancy, they are paid obscene wages, enough surely to make them consider the responsibility that their position in the limelight demands. If Manchester United do contrive to lose this title race, their fans will accept the excuses of fatigue, they will accept bad luck and they will even grudgingly bear the pain of an astonishing Liverpool revival. They will not accept indiscipline and idiocy from two of their biggest stars.

If either of these highly-strung, hyper-sensitive man-children find themselves stuck for something to do this week, I suggest that a trip to the cinema might be in order. Clough may not have won as many trophies as Sir Alex Ferguson, but he knew how his players should behave when they took to the field. It's a lot harder for a team to win a title when their best players are sat in the stands contemplating their own stupidity.

:clap:

I really hope Man Utd don't win the Champs League/European Cup, so Cloughie still has back-to-back wins over Ferguson.

From the reviews I have read The Damned United may not properly reflect Brian Clough, as this is largely a work of fiction. A better guide may be the ITV documentary Clough which I believe is on Wednesday night.

I've always admired Clough for his stance with discipline and also toward match officials, it's way to easy to blame your sides shortcomings on a dodgy decision. I wish that people like Warnock, Ferguson etc would take notice of the example set by Clough.

From the reviews I have read The Damned United may not properly reflect Brian Clough, as this is largely a work of fiction. A better guide may be the ITV documentary Clough which I believe is on Wednesday night.

I've always admired Clough for his stance with discipline and also toward match officials, it's way to easy to blame your sides shortcomings on a dodgy decision. I wish that people like Warnock, Ferguson etc would take notice of the example set by Clough.

Nearly as childish as Ronaldo's mewling and Rooney's petulance was Fergusons post-match defence of Rooney. I'm not asking him to publicly castigate his players, but trying to defend the indefensible is doing his team no favours.

Nearly as childish as Ronaldo's mewling and Rooney's petulance was Fergusons post-match defence of Rooney. I'm not asking him to publicly castigate his players, but trying to defend the indefensible is doing his team no favours.

The United side is a tightly knit group, Ferguson will know that during a dip in form, the last thing he needs is his players at eachothers throats and the managers... If he comes out and publicly condemns Rooney's actions, You've got one of your best players in a sulk at a pivotal part in the season.

If he comes out and defends him, he takes a lot of the flack from the incident and the burden on Rooney is shared.

Remember how the now infamous "Rafa Rant" was almost impeccably timed when Gerrard was facing a jail term? During that week, I bet you had to search a little bit harder to find column inches on Gerrard... What with the coincidental shocker of Rafa cracking up, eh?

:clap:

I hope that Fergie gave them a real bollocking. Maybe throw a boot at Ronaldo!

Got some cracking complaints about this one from the readers.

Sample Quotes

1, Of course Ronaldo dives. It's a Portuguese thing. But it's not all the time!

(Ah well, my mistake. So long as he only dives occasionally, eh?)

2, Rooney's game is all about passion and that is what caused him to throw the ball!

(Not the fact that he's a tempremental child with a short fuse and only three braincells? My mistake)

3, United players hounding the ref? Everyone does that!

(Oh...well, if everyone's doing it.....)

4, Please write unbiased articles in future!

I'd love to know where people get this idea that columnists should be unbiased. What would be the point of that? I know I'm biased. I'm biased against everyone except Southend. It's a simple system and it serves me well. ******s

Spleen vented

Slipperduke said:
Got some cracking complaints about this one from the readers.

Sample Quotes

1, Of course Ronaldo dives. It's a Portuguese thing. But it's not all the time!

(Ah well, my mistake. So long as he only dives occasionally, eh?)

2, Rooney's game is all about passion and that is what caused him to throw the ball!

(Not the fact that he's a tempremental child with a short fuse and only three braincells? My mistake)

3, United players hounding the ref? Everyone does that!

(Oh...well, if everyone's doing it.....)

4, Please write unbiased articles in future!

I'd love to know where people get this idea that columnists should be unbiased. What would be the point of that? I know I'm biased. I'm biased against everyone except Southend. It's a simple system and it serves me well. ******s

Spleen vented
I had a feeling you might upset the locals with that article Slipper......:clap:

Back