• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Little moments

No idea why, but For some reason these ones have remained in my mind.

Phil Gridelet being clear and one on one with the keeper in a game we needed to win, he steadied himself then blasted it against the crossbar ?

Adrian clarke on the wing near the halfwayline, ball passed to him in the air, he takes it down with one touch then does a gorgeous lob of the keeper.

Evening game, ball is hoofed to tes bramble, he volleys it/looked like he fell over it, from an impossible angle and it rocketed into the top corner

When you mentioned Phil Gridelet, I thought you were going to recall the contact lens incident with Andy Rammell..........

I think we beat them 3-1 at home that season too. Someone very close to me started a new chant that went:

"Six one on aggregate, six one on aggregate..." repeat and repeat and repeat.

The Col Ewe fans didn't find that one funny.
Or alternatively the cold ewe fans at layer Road singing "the wheels on your house go round and round" at fredy

Reactions: fbm
When you mentioned Phil Gridelet, I thought you were going to recall the contact lens incident with Andy Rammell..........
That was iconic ?. For some reason his miss stands out more. It was like time stood still. He cant miss...

Then he missed....

Not sure of the year but a pre season friendly away. Barrington Belgrave just standing around with his hands out waiting for the ball. Rob Newman (player Manager I think at the time) passed to him and he completely miss controlled the ball. I shouted to Rob to sort it out. He just looked at me, then at Barrrington, then back to me and simply shrugged his shoulders. Priceless.

There was a match Vs Bristol Rovers away from home (can't remember the year) and Leon Cort miss controlled the ball and it went out of play.

Another SUFC player had a pop at him which he clearly didn't like.

His response was to say "the ball was dropping, innit!"

The surprising part of the moment was just how high pitched his voice was. Not something I was expecting from a player of Corts stature!

I always remember away to reading at Elm park and Gridelet going in with their keeper, keeper wins the ball goes down and Phil jumps over him, as he turns back he swings his foot round as if to take his wig off!
Rumour at the time was the keeper wore a wig!
International as well iirc. Cant remember the keepers name but Phil thought it was funny as did most of us.

there was a moment in the penalty shoot out at Wembley, about half way through, when I knew we were going to win. Maybe when Timlin scored, it was amazing.

Friday 20th April 2012.
Roots Hall under lights.
Southend 3 Barnet 0
Bilel Mohsni hat trick

have we scored one since ?

Mid 70's, Neil Townsend scoring from the halfway line v Darlington. His was a high "up and under" type ball to our attackers, none of whom had read it and so the ball should have just harmlessly bounced to the keeper. The trouble was that it bounced over the keeper who then made such a hash of trying to collect it, he ended up crawling on his hands and knees towards the ball that was bobbling towards the goal line, then diving on it and ending up in the net with it. 2-0.

Last edited:
A rotund neville southall scrambling over the hoardings to get the ball back from the north bank..

Feeling astonished at how the mighty had fallen and how mickey mouse lower league football was.

Has to be Colchester at home, watching from W block some bloke boot the gate to the pitch off it’s hinges to go lay into about 300+ Colchester fans.. one of the stranger moments I’ve seen I have to say..

Cant remember who against but Ryan Leonard chasing back for what seemed forever in a race with an opposition striker to infront of the west and completing the perfect tackle...it earned him a standing ovation

I was going to mention this one too - he'd scored in the game too. Ran almost the full length of the pitch to put in the perfect tackle. Can't find the clip!

There's another one that springs to mind, Stockport away, must have been 2008 or 9. Franny Laurent had another one of his excellent games for us, but it wasn't the game but an off pitch incident involving whoever was our trainer back then. Clip was actually shown on Soccer AM.

Trainer tried to get out of the dug out area to get to treat one of our players and managed to trip/fall over the hoardings in front of him.

Back