• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Little moments

Paul Clarks tackle on Steve Bull of Wolves in 87 , am sure the foundations of Roots Hall are still shaking from it .

Paul Clark, then player-manager, was absolutely magnificent that night. We won the game 1-0 but Clark almost single-handedly held Southend together in the face of an unbelievable onslaught from Wolves. His positional sense, ferocious tackling, terrific organisation skills, and indomitable spirit is a memory I will never forget.

90th minute of final game of the season in 99/00 home to Cheltenham.. 1-1 and Cheltenham were pushing for a winner to make the play-offs. Our right back Nathan Jones won the ball on edge of our penalty box and dribbled up field, past several Cheltenham players and stuck the ball in the bottom corner of the net! Wish there was a video of that - the best goal I’ve seen at RH by a long way.

90th minute of final game of the season in 99/00 home to Cheltenham.. 1-1 and Cheltenham were pushing for a winner to make the play-offs. Our right back Nathan Jones won the ball on edge of our penalty box and dribbled up field, past several Cheltenham players and stuck the ball in the bottom corner of the net! Wish there was a video of that - the best goal I’ve seen at RH by a long way.
I think he achieved a PB of 348 step overs that night too.

Another Steve Phillips one: I have no idea who we were playing but I remember a ball being played over the top in front of the South stand. The away 'keeper came out to claim the ball right on the side edge of his area, right in front of the East blacks. The 'keeper got the ball, but skidded on the ground. He ended up lying full length on the line with the ball in his hand. SP claimed he was out of his area and the ref came to have a look. It looked like the ball was dead on the line (I could see the 'keeper hadn't moved a muscle so it was genuine), so SP tried to pick the 'keeper up to move him!

It was obviously meant in jest, but the ref booked him anyway!

Last edited:
Elliot Benyon coming off the bench against Bradford away in 2012. Got a straight red for a dreadful tackle with the ball miles away less than 10 mins later. Ironically probably the closest Benyon ever got to the ball in his time with us.

Mohsni scoring the 1st goal on a Friday night game, when most of the Southend fans had lumped on him at the bookies after finding out he'd be playing up front.

Conservative estimates were of close to 5k being paid out by the William Hills just round the corner from the Spread.

There is / was a thread on here somewhere about it...

Blackpool away on webbys return.

Expecting a hundred fans max and several hundred make the journey.

We get battered by Blackpool but keep on singing throughout. My mind may be playing tricks on me but I'm sure we snatch a draw from 2 nil down.

Great day out.

I was going to mention this one too - he'd scored in the game too. Ran almost the full length of the pitch to put in the perfect tackle. Can't find the clip!

There's another one that springs to mind, Stockport away, must have been 2008 or 9. Franny Laurent had another one of his excellent games for us, but it wasn't the game but an off pitch incident involving whoever was our trainer back then. Clip was actually shown on Soccer AM.

Trainer tried to get out of the dug out area to get to treat one of our players and managed to trip/fall over the hoardings in front of him.
0:14 onwards...

Paul Clark, then player-manager, was absolutely magnificent that night. We won the game 1-0 but Clark almost single-handedly held Southend together in the face of an unbelievable onslaught from Wolves. His positional sense, ferocious tackling, terrific organisation skills, and indomitable spirit is a memory I will never forget.
Hard-tackling Paul Clark defended extremely well against Bull on both occasions,but the particularly fierce early tackle,to which there have been many references ,was actually 2 seasons later 10/3/89 (3-1 to us)by which time Bull had established himself as a formidable,much-feared goal scorer,later to be capped by England.

Cant remember who against but Ryan Leonard chasing back for what seemed forever in a race with an opposition striker to infront of the west and completing the perfect tackle...it earned him a standing ovation
What made Ryan’s rescue run and tackle was that his long sprint made up 5 or 6 yards on the Bury guy (Bunn?) and our other 9 outfield players were stood watching from in and around their penalty area following our corner.

What made Ryan’s rescue run and tackle was that his long sprint made up 5 or 6 yards on the Bury guy (Bunn?) and our other 9 outfield players were stood watching from in and around their penalty area following our corner.
Sorry! Should have watched the video first! Free kick not corner and one of ours got back —nowhere near the ball.

Hard-tackling Paul Clark defended extremely well against Bull on both occasions,but the particularly fierce early tackle,to which there have been many references ,was actually 2 seasons later 10/3/89 (3-1 to us)by which time Bull had established himself as a formidable,much-feared goal scorer,later to be capped by England.
The 1st game Paul took Bulls legs away and he never went near the ball again , if I remember Steve Bull scored for Wolves , either game he never got any change out of Paul Clark .

Mohsni scoring the 1st goal on a Friday night game, when most of the Southend fans had lumped on him at the bookies after finding out he'd be playing up front.

Conservative estimates were of close to 5k being paid out by the William Hills just round the corner from the Spread.

There is / was a thread on here somewhere about it...
I was on!

Yet Shane Westley was more than happy to take the credit for having 'Bull in his pocket' in the bars afterwards.

Back