• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Little moments

There was a match Vs Bristol Rovers away from home (can't remember the year) and Leon Cort miss controlled the ball and it went out of play.

Another SUFC player had a pop at him which he clearly didn't like.

His response was to say "the ball was dropping, innit!"

The surprising part of the moment was just how high pitched his voice was. Not something I was expecting from a player of Corts stature!
This is “a thing” though and worth looking out for when people are unexpectedly challenged and start to defend themselves. An old boss of mine was a classic example. German guy, very commanding, great leader and more than able to rule the roost. But when challenged, particularly when he didn’t expect it, his voice went up about six notes! Used to make me chuckle (once I’d left the room obviously!) but it’s surprising how many people do it! Keep an eye out.

That guy winning the half time challenge for the first time in five years to get the car and him and the crowd going mental
Can’t remember which player it was. Phil Whelan?

But after watching punter after punter try and fail, the announcer told the latest punter to choose a player. He did. And our player just strolled up and ****ted it through the hole. First time. No drama.

Reminded me that, no matter how **** we think our players are at times, they’re still way better than us! ?

But after watching punter after punter try and fail, the announcer told the latest punter to choose a player. He did. And our player just strolled up and ****ted it through the hole. First time. No drama.

Reminded me that, no matter how **** we think our players are at times, they’re still way better than us! ?

well it wasnt Barrington Belgrave who refused to do it and made a kid cry.

well it wasnt Barrington Belgrave who refused to do it and made a kid cry.
If I was unsure if it was or wasn’t Whelan, then Barrington Belgrave wasn’t high on my list.

That only reminds me of the other classic moment of mistaken identity involving Leo Roget!

there was a moment in the penalty shoot out at Wembley, about half way through, when I knew we were going to win. Maybe when Timlin scored, it was amazing.
I spoke to Dan about that later.
He reckoned we were going to win when he saw the likes of Jacobsen throwing himself to the ground as the Pig equalised!
So near, yet so far was in Wycombe minds wasn't it?

Paul Clark, then player-manager, was absolutely magnificent that night. We won the game 1-0 but Clark almost single-handedly held Southend together in the face of an unbelievable onslaught from Wolves. His positional sense, ferocious tackling, terrific organisation skills, and indomitable spirit is a memory I will never forget.
Shame he isn’t still in the game at a coaching or managing capacity.

You remember correctly - I think he got a standing ovation....

Blackpool away on webbys return.

Expecting a hundred fans max and several hundred make the journey.

We get battered by Blackpool but keep on singing throughout. My mind may be playing tricks on me but I'm sure we snatch a draw from 2 nil down.

Great day out.
You're right!
It was 2-2 and both scored in an open end on its way to reconstruction.
It was the day after the last game at the old Wembley in 2000 when Keegan resigned straight after the 1-0 defeat to Germany.
I vowed never to go to Blackpool again, and so far have kept the promise: what a dump!
Webby told me after that he was surprised there were so many S'end players from different parts of the UK.
"If you can't get team at our level from inside the M25, you ain't trying!'

Rochdale 3-2 Southend: April 28, 1973 - and last game of the season.

The journey from Liverpool, where I was staying, to Spotland was something else!

It involved a train to Manchester Piccadilly and then taxi to Manchester Victoria, where I picked up a rare LP from WH Smith's bargain rack.

Then via Oldham Mumps, and believe me, it looked like it had an illness, to Rochdale and then second taxi to the ground.

I arrived 10 minutes late and the turnstiles were already shut.

A loafing kid said that for a quid he knew a way into the ground. And sure enough, he pulled a couple of planks apart in a fence for me to get onto a terrace!

After the game, chatted to my old school friend, Dave Barnett, who said I should have let him know I was coming and he would have provided tickets!

This is what supporting Southend United is all about: a journey Odysseus would have owned to see a nothing game.

I think this was also the last outing in blue for the great Billy Best.

The journey from Liverpool, where I was staying, to Spotland was something else!

It involved a train to Manchester Piccadilly and then taxi to Manchester Victoria, where I picked up a rare LP from WH Smith's bargain rack.

Then via Oldham Mumps, and believe me, it looked like it had an illness, to Rochdale and then second taxi to the ground.

I arrived 10 minutes late and the turnstiles were already shut.

A loafing kid said that for a quid he knew a way into the ground. And sure enough, he pulled a couple of planks apart in a fence for me to get onto a terrace!

After the game, chatted to my old school friend, Dave Barnett, who said I should have let him know I was coming and he would have provided tickets!

This is what supporting Southend United is all about: a journey Odysseus would have owned to see a nothing game.

I think this was also the last outing in blue for the great Billy Best.

Not strictly sufc related but it kind of is. My 5 year old daughter randomly asking me to join her up to a football team after showing no interest in football ever before. Got it sorted that day and she had her first training session the very next morning. There she is in full southend kit banging in 4 goals, one of which was a particular hard hit shot straight into the bottom corner, very proud to say the least. BUT then, then very next day she goes and snaps her arm in half down the park, now all casted up, so that's football shelved again for a while.

Need to know what the LP was !

Need to know what the LP was !
Know of a song called 'Daydream'? It's been sampled by the world and his wife over the last 20 years.
"Daydream, I fell asleep amid the flowers
'For a couple of hours on a beautiful day..."
It appeared on the LP in question: Laughing Cavalier by a bunch of Belgians called Wallace Collection.
Somebody on Ebay wants £107 for an original copy. Mine cost £1.50!

Spurs at Roots Hall in the cup. Gazza pretending to rub and pat the ref's bum mid-game. John Burridge warm up goal line handstands. East stand singing "with a packet of sweets and a cheeky smile, Graham Rix is a ****ing paedoplile "

Back