• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Little moments

Hazey

Director
We always talk about big moments like Eastwood against Manchester United, or Benji at Bury, but what about some smaller moments?

We’ve all got memories of tiny moments or things in games that stay with us for a long time, moments that may have had no baring on the game as a whole.

As it’s close season, I thought this might be a nice time to walk down memory lane and share some of those more random memories.

I’ll start. In 05/06 we played Tranmere away, I believe it was 0-0. During the game Kevin Maher performed an absolutely sublime slide tackle.

I also fondly remember a guy who turned up to Macclesfield away dressed as a mummy.

Early in the 2015-16 season, a home game v Scunthorpe when Ryan Leonard was defending in our area and trapped a cross from the left on his right thigh, then calmly played it out to one of our players in a safe space. Lovely skill and nonchalant execution.

Small off pitch moment from me which has stuck with me for 17 years.
A freezing cold night in Scarborough, January 2004. Witnessed a fan booting a drinks bottle in annoyance in the stand when leaving the game covering himself with the contents. Bumped into him 8 weeks later at the Mil Stad and we agreed as to how quickly football fortunes can change.

Gordon Strachen at Roots Hall, his team were poor, he was getting stick. He sat on the wall infront of the north paddock, turned to the crowd, agreed they were cack and was SUCH a top bloke. His team lost the game but he won the crowd who saw and heard him. Since then, as the post shows, I have always had good emotions about him, the wee ginger jock barnpot!

Rob Newman bringing himself off the bench as Player Manager who then moaned at someone for misplacing a pass to him only for Rob to then turn to the East Greens and burst out laughing.

Michael Lund losing his tooth and then putting it back in

Being 3-0 up against Colchester after 32 minutes at Layer Road in 2006. Their manager sent the subs out to warm up in front of us in the away end. There’s a moment of quiet and a fella from the back yells “you must be ****ing **** if you can’t get in this team”. Away end start ****ing themselves laughing, including the Col Ewe subs!

Matt Harrold v I think Yeovil many years ago. Broke his nose in an aerial challenge which they struggled to stop bleeding pretty much all game so spare shirts were being fetched from the club shop with the labels still on. He then got sent off in the 2nd half and I'm pretty sure he spent more time off the pitch that day than on it.

I'll go back to 10th March '92 away at Blackburn. David Speedie clean though on goal, just Sammy to beat, and from nowhere Dean Austin gets close enough to slide in from behind and hook the ball so cleanly off his feet Speedie didn't even appeal for a penalty, despite the crowd doing so big time! Great tackle and kept us ahead at the time, although unfortunately Speedie did get a late equaliser, that prevented us from getting a double over them, Great game and a great side that season. Fantastic memory of Deano at his best.

Tony Hadley dribbling out of his own penalty area against the best team in the world at that time in the Cup game against Liverpool.

Perversely the way that we supporters chanted throughout the second leg away at Doncaster and seeing the Doncaster fans applauding US!! Despite a drubbing that was a night to be proud of being a supporter.

I'll go back to 10th March '92 away at Blackburn. David Speedie clean though on goal, just Sammy to beat, and from nowhere Dean Austin gets close enough to slide in from behind and hook the ball so cleanly off his feet Speedie didn't even appeal for a penalty, despite the crowd doing so big time! Great tackle and kept us ahead at the time, although unfortunately Speedie did get a late equaliser, that prevented us from getting a double over them, Great game and a great side that season. Fantastic memory of Deano at his best.
I was at that game, Rovers scored the late equaliser in the 14th minute of the 2 minutes of extra time and Speedie should have had 5 yellow cards! Slight exaggeration but if you were there you will know!

Away to Torquay late 90s and some poor kid was vomiting what looked like strawberry milkshake in the standing section. The vision haunts me.

Back