• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC_Al

Metal Monday Dude
After Shrimper James's thread about your festival line-ups, it got me thinking back to the last festival I went to in 2005 and it's one I'll never forget.
We all love live music no matter what music we enjoy, there's just something fantastic about hearing and seeing your favourite bands/musicians live.

So what's your best live music experience? There's no boundaries to your story it can be a festival/one-off gig, it can be funny, painful...absolutely anything you want. I'll start,

Wacken Open Air Festival, Wacken, Germany 3rd August - 7th August 2005

One of the biggest outfoor metal festivals on the European circuit I made my way via Stansted airport with Rich and his ex-girlfriend Laura. Rich had been twice before and this was my first time.

We got a flight to Hamburg Lubeck airport, a bus to Hamburg, a train to Itzehoe and finally another bus to Wacken itself. It took over three hours from landing at Lubeck.

We get in, find ourselved a spot and start setting up the tents. It was evening time by now and the sun was still out lovely and warm but as we were putting the tents up the heavens opened and it poured down. Damn, I hadn't bought any rain clothes as the two previous years it had been 35 degrees temperatures for the weekend so I had to go and buy a hooded jacket to keep me warm(ish). My tent got flooded also although my sleeping bag luckily was kept out the way just enough!

It proceeded to rain pretty much for five days interpersed with small bouts of sunshine to dry us off before another deluge and as we were on farmland, it didn't take long for the whole festival site to become a quagmire, my feet were sinking in the mud up to my ankles! It was going to be a long, hard weekend!
We met up with loads of people though and we had a great time getting ****ed and eating wurst and watching some fantastic music whilst getting soaked to the bone.
There was mud everywhere, absolutely everywhere and we weren't so much as walking around but sliding around which led to one of the funniest things I've seen.
We were walking along the mud paths to our tent when a guy passes us going the other way, he was obvioulsy very drunk and he was carrying 7 or 8 beers in his arms tucked up to his chest. You could almost see what was going to happen before it started...his feet start to slide back and forth (in that comic 'cartoon-like' fashion). He's sliding about for what seemed like minutes and he had a watching crowd...it was like a bonus bit of entertainment....until eventually BAM...he goes down to the ground still, front ways, clutching his beers. Everyone just p1ssed themselves laughing. Then the guy tries to get up still holding his beers and off he goes sliding all over the place, down he goes again. Everyone is doubled-over in laughter, two times, three times he just kept going down before eventually a kind-hearted individual took his beers(which he didn't seem to happy with) and helped him on his way. That lit up a very grizzly afternoon!

Another comical thing that happened was thes bunch of Norwegian guys who had pitched up next to us. They were all drinking Jagermeister from the bottle and were completely blitzed off their heads. We get talking to one guy, Gier, and he's having trouble just standing on the spot. We finish talking with him and he goes off to his mates but he walks straight in to a table, smashing it to pieces and pulling down half their gazebo and he ends up tangled in everything. Me and Rich just cracked up.

It was a memorbale weekend for the event itself, the music, the tough conditions, the people we met, the laughs we had.

Over to you.
:D

Pink pop in holland,great festival, great people,great set from the pixies.

I prefer my live music a little more "intimate" , the seedy sweaty club where the band are close enough to be able to see the expression on their faces. Best gigs for the experience would have been Slade , first Gig, kursaal, front of the lot pressed up against the stage....
The Undertones at the Marquee club and the Damned at Crocs

I prefer my live music a little more "intimate" , the seedy sweaty club where the band are close enough to be able to see the expression on their faces. Best gigs for the experience would have been Slade , first Gig, kursaal, front of the lot pressed up against the stage....
The Undertones at the Marquee club and the Damned at Crocs

I enjoy all forms of live music whether it be a small club or a big festival!

To me, the large live gig, is about as appealing as the live album, both of which do not have the benefit of being up close to the band, and the drawback of "less than album quality" sound.
A gig , to me, is about seeing the band as well as hearing them and seeing them up close.....

Mind you considering the number of festival goers there are of late, I am in the minority.....

So its Vinny Vinny at the Royal hotel next Tuesday then...........

To me, the large live gig, is about as appealing as the live album, both of which do not have the benefit of being up close to the band, and the drawback of "less than album quality" sound.
A gig , to me, is about seeing the band as well as hearing them and seeing them up close.....

Mind you considering the number of festival goers there are of late, I am in the minority.....

So its Vinny Vinny at the Royal hotel next Tuesday then...........

I agree with all of that Firestorm...i like the festivals for camping, meeting people and it's like a mini-holiday. And yes you sometimes can get pretty poor live sound at festivals and you're not up close and personal with the bands...but it's another way of seeing live music and the atmosphere that can be generated when you've got all those people watching the same thing can be pretty hair raising!

My favourite gigs have all been indoors but I chose my one for the fact that it was a one-off for me.

I have no doubt its great , but for some reason (maybe its a throwback to the early festivals being all about Hippies and i didn't really have a lot of time for them in the late 60's early 70's) it doesn't appeal

Mine are .The Beatles "Deja vu here in this thread" Dire straits at Wembley Arena in there Prime. And Pink Floyd at Earls Court .The Wall "Live".. Oh and Rod Stewart live in Vancover Canada.

Al of course is still waiting to see his Cult hero Lonnie Donegan Live ..;)

I have no doubt its great , but for some reason (maybe its a throwback to the early festivals being all about Hippies and i didn't really have a lot of time for them in the late 60's early 70's) it doesn't appeal

That's fair enought mate...each to their own!

Mine are .The Beatles "Deja vu here in this thread" Dire straits at Wembley Arena in there Prime. And Pink Floyd at Earls Court .The Wall "Live".. Oh and Rod Stewart live in Vancover Canada.

Al of course is still waiting to see his Cult hero Lonnie Donegan Live ..;)

:finger: :finger: :finger: Honestly.....:rolleyes: I've seen him already :minger:

My worst was my first. Went to see Muse at Earls Court at Xmas 04, and was horribly ill throughout, ending the gig throwing up a lot outside.

The best? Muse at Wembley Stadium, 16 June 2007 - what a gig that was, I doubt it'll ever be beaten for me.

My worst was my first. Went to see Muse at Earls Court at Xmas 04, and was horribly ill throughout, ending the gig throwing up a lot outside.

The best? Muse at Wembley Stadium, 16 June 2007 - what a gig that was, I doubt it'll ever be beaten for me.

I saw Muse at Portsmouth Guildhall a few years ago, just after Showbiz was released (one of my fav all time albums and easily the best debut i've ever heard) they were absolutely AWESOME ... They were louder than Metallica, and considering there was only 3 of them that was mightily impressive.

The Dogs d'Amour are fkkin brilliant live still, even after 15 (??) years of seeing them play i always get a buzz when they play

My best ever though has to be the first time i saw my signiture band play live.. Wembley Stadium in 1987 (i even missed our Scottish tour to go to this gig :eek: ) 80,000 people there and just everything about the whole show blew me away :cool:

Another comical thing that happened was thes bunch of Norwegian guys who had pitched up next to us. They were all drinking Jagermeister from the bottle and were completely blitzed off their heads. We get talking to one guy, Gier, and he's having trouble just standing on the spot. We finish talking with him and he goes off to his mates but he walks straight in to a table, smashing it to pieces and pulling down half their gazebo and he ends up tangled in everything. Me and Rich just cracked up.

:D

Jägermeister was given to me by some Danish friends some 6 years ago, but to this day, cannot bring myself to drink more than a mouthful a year, goddawful tasting stuff but my Danish mates drink it like no tomorrow...The fools

I saw Muse at Portsmouth Guildhall a few years ago, just after Showbiz was released (one of my fav all time albums and easily the best debut i've ever heard) they were absolutely AWESOME ... They were louder than Metallica, and considering there was only 3 of them that was mightily impressive.
QUOTE]

I really wish I was old enough to like music and go to gigs back in their early days, nowadays it's a great show and performance but I bet only a couple of hundred people in there would've been great.

At least 3 of my favourite live music experiences would be at Beta Band shows - I first saw them playing at the Y Club in Chelmsford to about 15 people in the summer of 1997, they blew me away so much I caught them whenever I could for the next year which included Harlow, Portsmouth, London (X2) and Brighton. It was incredible watching the most exciting band in the country developing before your eyes. Every one of those early gigs had a jaw-dropping moment that you could hardly believe (which they hadn't done the last time you saw them) - incredible, and so far ahead of their time.

Other highlights would be The Strokes at Colchester Arts Centre (a pure adrenilin rush of a gig) and Arcade Fire's first ever UK show at King's College Student Union in March 2005 - almost as many "celebs" as fans in the crowd, it remains the greatest gig I've ever witnessed. It was as good a performance as their show at Glasto this year, except it was in a hall that held about 300 people. I still get shivers down my spine thinking about it.

Went to see Rod Stewart at Wembly with the Ex many years ago, ridiculous price, crap view and a short set...total bolleaux.
It's not just about the music either. I took the current Mrs FS to Brixton academy to see Faithless a year or so ago, the atmosphere was brilliant, I cant say I liked the music but still had a good time.

As you can probably tell from my signature, i'm a big Pearl Jam fan. They don't come to the UK very often so on their European tour this year myself and my friend were delighted when we managed to get fan club tickets for the Wembley Arena show. They played a set of b-sides and rarities basically, and the whole place was full of fan club members as tickets had sold out before they got anywhere near general sale. The atmosphere was incredible and they just manage to produce the best live shows. They definitely still 'have it' so to speak after 16 years. We also saw them in Holland a couple of weeks later, that was the first time i've been out of the UK especially for a gig. That was something special to, however it was outdoors and it was a bit more public so the atmosphere was lacking, as were the rare songs. It was mostly their singles (and most of Vitalogy). Still a great trip though and they were supported by Kings Of Leon and Incubus, another two of my favourite bands. As Marky_Gower will probably agree, there's just something about seeing your favourite bands abroad that gives you an extra buzz.

Other notable mentions for me would be seeing ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead at Reading in 2002. They closed the weekend on the Evening Session stage by throwing their entire load of equipment into the crowd. It was quite unreal to watch.

Also, Pulp in 1996 at Wembley Arena (not my favourite venue, but it always seems to produce my favourite shows).

As you can probably tell from my signature, i'm a big Pearl Jam fan. They don't come to the UK very often so on their European tour this year myself and my friend were delighted when we managed to get fan club tickets for the Wembley Arena show. They played a set of b-sides and rarities basically, and the whole place was full of fan club members as tickets had sold out before they got anywhere near general sale. The atmosphere was incredible and they just manage to produce the best live shows. They definitely still 'have it' so to speak after 16 years. We also saw them in Holland a couple of weeks later, that was the first time i've been out of the UK especially for a gig. That was something special to, however it was outdoors and it was a bit more public so the atmosphere was lacking, as were the rare songs. It was mostly their singles (and most of Vitalogy). Still a great trip though and they were supported by Kings Of Leon and Incubus, another two of my favourite bands. As Marky_Gower will probably agree, there's just something about seeing your favourite bands abroad that gives you an extra buzz.

Other notable mentions for me would be seeing ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead at Reading in 2002. They closed the weekend on the Evening Session stage by throwing their entire load of equipment into the crowd. It was quite unreal to watch.

Also, Pulp in 1996 at Wembley Arena (not my favourite venue, but it always seems to produce my favourite shows).

Yes I do agree James...it makes for a memorable occasion.

I'd better not show this post to my missus as she is a massive Pearl Jam fan herself! She saw them at Reading but that's all she's managed to go to!

Yes I do agree James...it makes for a memorable occasion.

I'd better not show this post to my missus as she is a massive Pearl Jam fan herself! She saw them at Reading but that's all she's managed to go to!

They were pretty amazing at Reading. But when you see your favourite band you always prefer the intimate venues, as you'll agree i expect.

The thing about Pearl Jam is you have to be in the Ten Club to stand any chance of getting a ticket as the shows sell out to fan club members only.

Next time they tour over here (hopefully next year if rumours are true) i'll see if i can get some extra tickets for ya.

Back