• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Rafa Benitez deserves to be sacked. He’s had six years, hundreds of millions of pounds and Liverpool are worse off now than they were under Gerard Houllier. But if George Gillett and Tom Hicks think that his demise will make any difference to their stricken football club, they are very much mistaken. For as much as Benitez is culpable for the lack of success on the pitch, the Americans are wholly responsible for the financial apocalypse off it.

Liverpool loyalists won’t want to hear it, but no manager could survive a season as disastrous as the last campaign. If Chelsea finished seventh, crashed out of the Champions League in the group stages, were dumped out of the FA Cup at home by Reading and only qualified for the bloated irrelevance that is the Europa League because Portsmouth are so broke that they can’t be trusted to fulfil their fixtures, then Carlo Ancelotti would be scanning the job pages as well.

Liverpool’s net spend since 2004 is beaten only by Manchester City and Chelsea and yet, if you were to list his top three signings it would be Pepe Reina and Xabi Alonso, two of his first acquisitions, and the abundantly obvious talent of Fernando Torres. Choosing his worst three signings would be a far harder task because there are so many contenders. Every manager makes mistakes in the transfer market, but Benitez has made more than most.

Then there’s the youth policy, or rather the complete lack of it. Young players aren’t given a chance at Liverpool as they are at Manchester United and Arsenal and the last rookie to cement his place in the first team was Steven Gerrard. That’s partly the fault of the academy staff, but if Benitez won’t play them then what chance do they have? A huge scouting network accumulates some of the most promising talent from around the world and it’s left to go stale in the reserves.

When you take Istanbul out of the equation, it’s actually quite hard to find many reasons for Benitez to stay. There was an FA Cup, secured on penalties in 2006. There were a few Champions League runs. There was the title race of 2009, a rare thing in Merseyside these days. Erm….that’s it.

I repeatedly used these pages to back Benitez last season because of his track record in Spain and his obvious tactical acumen. I thought that if anyone could haul Liverpool out of their nosedive, it was the man they already had in the cockpit. Perhaps though, no-one could have saved this club. Perhaps the damage had already been done. Gillett and Hicks might think that a simple change of manager will make the difference, but it won’t. Without serious investment, and there’s no sign of it out there, Liverpool are doomed.

There’s no point going over the Americans’ rap sheet. We all know it off by heart. They have taken one of the most dignified and respectable football clubs on the planet and they have rubbed its face in the dirt. Their fiscal lunacy, their broken promises and their complete lack of class have driven Liverpool to the edge. Benitez has his faults and he has certainly made his mistakes, but they have been exacerbated by the clowns in the boardroom who have sought to undermine him at every turn.

So what do they have now? An upper mid-table team with debts of at least £350m. A club with no Champions League football, no transfer kitty and, with revenues set to drop drastically, a sudden need to clear the wage bill. On the bright side, that bit shouldn’t be too hard to solve because Steven Gerrard and Torres are said to be considering their future. You’d struggle to find someone sensible who would back Liverpool to beat Tottenham, Manchester City, Everton and Aston Villa to the all-important fourth spot now, but without Gerrard and Torres? Good luck with that.

Who would sip this poisoned chalice now? Which top manager would lash themselves to the wheel as the ship slams into the rocks? Martin O’Neill is the bookies’ favourite, but he might be wiser to stay at Villa Park, they look a brighter prospect. Roy Hodgson would love one more big challenge, and they don’t get much bigger than this, but he’d demand certain assurances before he went. Either way, both men are tied to their clubs with expensive contracts that Liverpool would struggle to buy out.

New owners are desperately needed, but what chance is there of that? Even if you bought the club for the price of this newspaper, you’d still have to contend with the crippling debt, you’d have to find at least £100m to fund new players and then there’s that new stadium. How much will that cost? £250m? The trouble is, the Americans aren’t willing to hand over the keys in exchange for a rolled up copy of The New Paper. They want £800m! £800m! That means that the new owners will have to bring £1.5bn to the table to give Liverpool the facelift they need. That’s more than Manchester United are worth!

In the three and a half years since the Americans arrived, Liverpool’s debt has snowballed from something that you could fling at a passer-by to something that could wipe out a small Alpine town. Sacking Benitez isn’t going to change that. Liverpool are so deep in the dark stuff that winning football matches may not be their most relevant concern for very much longer. I pity whoever they’ve got lined up to take on this impossible job. Benitez had time and, the last 18 months notwithstanding, he had financial support. His successor will want for both.

Liverpool <<<----------- LOL

In a miserable footballing season their demise was the one enjoyable feature.

Slipper, your opening sentence is a massive statement. Would you have been saying that one year ago? Not forgetting their brilliant performances in the Champions League. Last season aside.

Slipper, your opening sentence is a massive statement. Would you have been saying that one year ago? Not forgetting their brilliant performances in the Champions League. Last season aside.

That's why they pay me the massive bucks. Well, the small bucks. Oh, who am I kidding? They pay me in cuddles, they always have.

No, I woudn't have said it a year ago because Liverpool were winning games a year ago. But to go from 2nd to 7th and to **** up every single competition so badly and not to have any Arsenal-like potential waiting in the wings is an appalling state of affairs. Dropping out of the top four is a disaster and Benitez HAS to take some of the blame.

That's why they pay me the massive bucks. Well, the small bucks. Oh, who am I kidding? They pay me in cuddles, they always have.

No, I woudn't have said it a year ago because Liverpool were winning games a year ago. But to go from 2nd to 7th and to **** up every single competition so badly and not to have any Arsenal-like potential waiting in the wings is an appalling state of affairs. Dropping out of the top four is a disaster and Benitez HAS to take some of the blame.
Agreed, and look at the quality at Liverpool when he took over/his first couple of seasons, he's sold good players like Alonso and not replaced them. The only world class players at Liverpool are Torres and Gerrard, their second striker is Ngog/Babel. No strength in depth.

Then if you take this view I would ask if you feel the same about Steve Tilson at Southend? Uncertainty around the club like there has been at Liverpool. A season of underperforming. No budget to bring in new players. Tilson out? Or do you think it is unfair to consider comparing the 2 situations? I don't.

Then if you take this view I would ask if you feel the same about Steve Tilson at Southend? Uncertainty around the club like there has been at Liverpool. A season of underperforming. No budget to bring in new players. Tilson out? Or do you think it is unfair to consider comparing the 2 situations? I don't.

In fairness, Benitez has had a squad that includes some of the best players in Europe. He's never had to sell his stars, he's been given funds all the way through up until 18 months ago. Liverpool are a big club playing in big competitions and they have expectations.

Tilson has never had any money, he led a team of freebies and kids to two promotions and then, when he could no longer continue to keep plucking miracles out of the ether, the club slipped back down to where they've spent the majority of their existence. Though some of our fans seem to think that we should be battling with Liverpool, we may as well be based on the moon for all that we have in common with them.

According to this article he's left.

It will be interesting to see who takes over, according to the press this morning early favourite is Martin O'Neill. With Mark Hughes & Roy Hodgson also in the running, after Houlier & Benitez I'm guessing this time they'll go British.

In fairness, Benitez has had a squad that includes some of the best players in Europe. He's never had to sell his stars, he's been given funds all the way through up until 18 months ago. Liverpool are a big club playing in big competitions and they have expectations.

Tilson has never had any money, he led a team of freebies and kids to two promotions and then, when he could no longer continue to keep plucking miracles out of the ether, the club slipped back down to where they've spent the majority of their existence. Though some of our fans seem to think that we should be battling with Liverpool, we may as well be based on the moon for all that we have in common with them.

Benitez got Liverpool to 2nd place last year and won the Champs League (not last yr). Great feats. Then he has his worst season by far. Not helped by off the field friction and injuries to key players.

Tilson won promotions. Tilson sees us to two relegations. In fairness I don't think Tilson has 'had to sell his stars'. I am also sure Tilson has expectations and being relegated didn't feature I am sure.

Your hard stance on this subject is frustrating and if that suggestion is that I believe 'we should be battling with Liverpool' then you are fatally incorrect. The comparisons are not blindingly obvious but both have had to face off the field problems. Both have had success and have this season experience failure. Both have had players linked to other clubs throughout the season. Both have had their futures cast into doubt. They may not all be for the same reasons but there are similarities as far as you get with one of the biggest clubs in Europe and one that is soon to be one of the biggest in the Non-Leagues. Tilly's promotions were not through playing kids either.

I am a Tilson fan. I am just debating your post which you don't seem to like too much. I presume you believe that Southend's failure was significantly more out of Tilson's control than it was Rafael Benitez?

Last edited:
Absolutely. I have failed to see Benitez in the sanctified light that others have bathed him in. He has bought 77 (seventy-seven, in ITV teletype style!) players in the last 6 years. Thats a full new team every season. The bloke is useless, and if his players, especially Mr. Gerrard, hadn't pulled his balls out of the fire with that second half performance in Istanbul he would have been gone three years ago and rightly so.

He may be a "successful" continental manger, but as far as the Premiership, he has never had a Scoobie. Good riddance.

Only gone down hill since his "Facts" press conference ranting about Sir Alex before the Man Ure game last year. That was when he lost it and it's just got worse and worse since. Will be interesting to see who replaces him...

Back