• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Tonight, for the third time in four years, Liverpool meet Chelsea in the semi-finals of the Champions League. Football’s most festering rivalry is back and the dirty war has already begun in earnest. There’s something very strange about the relationship between these two teams. They are separated by hundreds of miles and they’ve never raced against each other for the league title, but neither the clubs nor the fans can seem to get through these encounters without exchanging insults. I’ve covered over 40 live matches for the New Paper since October and I’ve only seen crowd violence outside the ground on two occasions, Chelsea against Liverpool in the League Cup and Chelsea against Liverpool in the League. They really don’t like each other.

Avram Grant kicked off proceedings this week by practically tapping up Steven Gerrard in front of the press. Gerrard, of course, twice tried to move to Chelsea during Jose Mourinho’s reign, changing his mind at the last minute. I doubt he’ll be so keen to join them now. Rafa Benitez responded by saying that he can’t really see much difference between old Chelsea and new Chelsea, apart from the fact that they probably have less spirit now. Even Jose Mourinho has been in on the act, taunting Benitez and saying that he will support all of his friends at Stamford Bridge. The players, the fans, Peter Kenyon and Roman Abramovich. I can’t help thinking he’s left someone out...

Cynics in Britain have suggested that this will be, like the previous two encounters, another dreadful display of anti-football from two of England’s most boring teams, but I think they’re missing the point. It’s never been all about what happens on the pitch. It’s the soap opera that accompanies them that makes this tie so extraordinary. It’s the images that you can never forget. Rafa Benitez sat cross-legged in the technical area. Mourinho’s face when he tried to insist that the best team had lost. Karma catching up with Eider Gudjonsson and Arjen Robben. It’s tremendous stuff.

Besides which, Liverpool have been playing a much more attractive game since Benitez stumbled across the perfect formation. In the first half of their league match against Arsenal, they played the Gunners off the park at their own game. Grant continues to insist that he is rolling out an offensive 4-3-3, and even if that doesn’t quite seem to be the case, it’s nice to know that the intention is there. I think this could be a lot more interesting than people think. Both Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard will return to the starting line-ups. Gerrard missed this weekend’s clash with a slight neck injury which has cleared up just in time for this match. Lampard’s problems were much more serious, he’s been at the bedside of his seriously ill mother.

Chelsea know that, for the first time, they have the advantage of playing the decisive second leg at home and that could be critical. Liverpool are fresh, experienced and eager to pick up a hat-trick of European victories over their opponents. It’s absolutely impossible to call this one, though that won’t stop me cementing myself to the bottom of the pundits league table by going for a Liverpool win. Strap yourselves in, this one could be something special.

I think the reason for Chelsea still being in the hunt for the Champions League (7/2) and League (13/2) is that their season, rather than individual performance, has had a superb tempo. Yes, they're astonishingly dull to watch at times but the value of winning 1-0 in a match where neither team does a lot is immeasurable. Their home record in the league is nothing short of phenomenal and should get at least as much mention as Arsenal's unbeaten season because of the improbability of it.

I honestly think Liverpool's recent form flatters to deceive having had one of the easiest combinations of matches to build their run on. Yes, they did win them all but this was ideal teams at ideal times. Still, you have to admire them at full flow with two players who can create match winning opportunities out of nothing.

In spite of the talent of Gerrard and Torres, they are coming up against the combination of relentless Terry and the bruising Carvalho who was excellent against Everton. To complement them, Cole is showing his better form at last and Ferreira has been solid recently. As long as the impudent and frankly irritating Mikel is ommitted to accomodate Makelele, I can see Chelsea going both legs without conceding. and think that they will win 2-0 on aggregate to prove by measure of success that Grant's class of 07/08 have been better than Mourinho's of 06/07.

Oh, actually, I forgot about Drogba. If he doesn't play it will undoubtedly be tighter but you have to imagine that Grant will do all he can to ensure he has his most potent threat.

Back