• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lloyd Opara

footymad13

Just joined Swindon from Grays. Might have been worth a look considering his on our doorstep ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 02 2004,07:34)]Just joined Swindon from Grays. Might have been worth a look considering his on our doorstep ?
He MUST be good if he is joining Swindon.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 02 2004,07:34)]Just joined Swindon from Grays. Might have been worth a look considering his on our doorstep ?
Yes, you're right.

Tell Tilly to get the scouts ready... perhaps arrange a one off "behind closed doors" friendly so we can can have a look at him as well as other potential triallists...

What's that?

He's already signed for Swindon?

Oh.

rock.gif

And the winner of todays most pointless thread is...

smile.gif

All joking aside Luke, it was a bit daft wasn't it? The bloke has already signed for Gods sake. You ask for it sometimes, you really do...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ June 02 2004,08:59)]And the winner of todays most pointless thread is...
Give him time... it's early yet and he could out-do himself.

Either that, or Wiggy might post.

rock.gif

Sorry if it come along the wrong way, im talking about local talent, im not saying go for him obviously his now at Swindon.

We do have a habit of letting local lads slip and go to other clubs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 02 2004,09:59)]Sorry if it come along the wrong way, im talking about local talent, im not saying go for him obviously his now at Swindon.

Based on the assumption that Swindon have made a good call on this 'gem' of course. Who's to say we didn't take a look at him but thought he wasn't worth it?

Maybe Swindon have seen potential in him and that they have a squad strong enough to afford the luxury of a player with 'potential'.

Maybe we couldn't afford to match Grays wage (and I'm only half joking!).
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 02 2004,09:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 02 2004,09:59)]Sorry if it come along the wrong way, im talking about local talent, im not saying go for him obviously his now at Swindon.

Based on the assumption that Swindon have made a good call on this 'gem' of course. Who's to say we didn't take a look at him but thought he wasn't worth it?

Maybe Swindon have seen potential in him and that they have a squad strong enough to afford the luxury of a player with 'potential'.

rock.gif
Well judged on past experences we tend to look at players then a couple of months later they are at another club and doing superb.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 02 2004,09:22)]Well judged on past experences we tend to look at players then a couple of months later they are at another club and doing superb.
Name them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ June 02 2004,10:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 02 2004,09:22)]Well judged on past experences we tend to look at players then a couple of months later they are at another club and doing superb.
Name them.
That's just what I was going to say.

Im not gonna go round hunting for names. But its well known we miss out on local talent. And we have overlooked some too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 02 2004,09:22)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ June 02 2004,09:20)]
[b said:

rock.gif
Well judged on past experences we tend to look at players then a couple of months later they are at another club and doing superb.
I don't think you'll find that SUFC have a monopoly on that. I seem to remember a certain D Beckham slipping through West Ham's net...

Every club loses players to other clubs from under their nose. When you consider that in this area Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal and Ipswich are very active in the scouting area from mini-soccer under 7 and upwards, it is a wonder that Southend have a youth academy at all!

Whilst that cannot be geared towards senior players, who have their own minds and transport, not every good Ryman player is going to make it at pro level. Opara may be quite good, I have no idea. Heaven knows why he has been picked up by Swindon and not us, or for that matter, Orient, who are probably slightly closer to Grays geographically.

But he has, and good luck to him.

At this stage I personally would rather have a proven experienced player to help our youngsters instead of yet another youngster with potential.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ June 02 2004,09:42)]At this stage I personally would rather have a proven experienced player to help our youngsters instead of yet another youngster with potential.
Agreed, however i remember people on here last week saying how we should scout the lower leagues for gems as we are going to find it hard to compete with the Hulls, Northamptons, Bostons etc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 02 2004,09:49)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (fbm @ June 02 2004,09:42)]At this stage I personally would rather have a proven experienced player to help our youngsters instead of yet another youngster with potential.
Agreed, however i remember people on here last week saying how we should scout the lower leagues for gems as we are going to find it hard to compete with the Hulls, Northamptons, Bostons etc
Err.. that was you wasn't it?

[b said:
Great idea FM now he's joined Swindon lets go and have a look at him!

Another pointless thread, Luke, keep it up!
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ianbrown @ June 02 2004,16:20)]He's sh*t anyway.
Harsh, I know he posts some rubbish on here, but isn't that being a bit too hard on FM?

Back