• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Loan regulations

Hooly

Keeper of the Lucky Gherkin⭐
Right, as we're hopefully going to be back in the land of the living as far as loans are concerned I thought I'd try to find the current rules. Before the embargo there was some discussion about the numbers allowed but I don't think we ever resolved the matter, so apologies if we did I must have missed it, however it's probably not a bad time to restate them.

The FA rules are quite extensive & I've now found the full 2009-10 version

http://thefa.com/TheFA/RulesandRegulations/~/media/Files/PDF/TheFA/FA%20Handbook%2009%2010/FA_Handbook_Full_Proof_NO_CROP.ashx/FA_Handbook_Full_Proof_NO_CROP.pdf if you can see from the whole path name they bury them a bit!

Anyway the relevant paragraphs are on pages 614-615 (out of 676!!) but to extract the pertinent sections

Short term loans
- allowed a maximum of 12 (this was 8 in the previous version)
- between 28 & 93 days in any one season
- must be continous (so if Friend ever came back after his time at Scunny, he'd count again)
- if they become permanent signings the loan doesn't count

Long term loans
- allowed a maximum of 4 (this was also 8 in the past)
- players must be under 24 on 30/6 pre season start
- there are now 2 periods the 1st being from before 31/8 through to 1/1-31/1 and
- 2nd is between 1/1-31/1 until the end of the season (this used to one period from any time pre 1/1 until the end of the season only I believe)

Now this is interesting!
6.4.6 The maximum number of Short Term Loans will be 12 per Season and Long Term Loans will be 4 per Season. Whilst a Club may register any number of Work Experience Players only 2 may play in any one match in accordance with FA Rules.

Club may name up to a maximum of 5 Players on a Team Sheet who are either Long Term Loans, Short Term Loans or Work Experience Players with no more than 2 from any one Category
. I think that's new.

So given what we've had we can confirm, rather than speculate
Short term - Heath, White, Friend, O'Donovan
Long term - M'voto, Sawyer

Perhaps the mods could put the FA rules in the links page, if there is one, on the main site for future reference then we might shorten some of the debates on matters like this.

Last edited:
That's some cracking research, Hooly. A very interesting read. So I guess we can expect to see two new short-term loans for now and then some long term loans in Jan. Does it suggest that the same player can be signed on two long term loans in the same season (ie could we re-sign M'Voto when he gets fit again?)

Good find. I've got one question though - is the competition not governed by Football League rules, rather than FA rules?

I thought the Championship, League 1 and League 2 were run by the Football League whilst the Premier$hite came under the FA's jurisdiction. Can someone please explain how it all fits together.

Also, where do emergency loans fit in?

Good find. I've got one question though - is the competition not governed by Football League rules, rather than FA rules?

I thought the Championship, League 1 and League 2 were run by the Football League whilst the Premier$hite came under the FA's jurisdiction. Can someone please explain how it all fits together.

Yorkshire, as far as i am aware, these are the rules/laws that the football league work to as well, especially as Premier League teams are not allowed to get in loans outside of the transfer windows.

An 'emergency loan' is the name given to short term loans by the Football League to get around the transfer window hooha.

So it looks like we can have 4 loan players in each matchday squad, 2 long term and 2 emergencies and as a result i would imagine that the most we can hope for this week is to get 2 bodies in on short term loans, i would hazard a guess at a Left Back and perhaps striker (especially as Grant has performed quite well at centre back and francis could also cover it) not that i would object to a centre back coming in.

Cheers guys. I was quite pleased as I'd looked for the current version before but kept coming up with the 2004/5 version when the window I suspect was introduced.

YB. As westander says these cover both PL & FL, as basically the FA under UEFA & FIFA is responsible for both although they run their own operations as such.

The opening of the paragraph relating to short term loans start

6.4.4 Short Term Loan Transfers – Loans of Contract Players shall be allowed to or from clubs in membership of:
• The FA Premier League Limited
• The Football League Limited
• The Football Conference Limited
• The Isthmian Football League Limited
• The Northern Premier Football League Limited
• The Southern Football League Limited
• Any other Leagues which have been authorised by The FA as shown in Appendix [not given in this proof ]

This begs the question then that if we bring loanees from a foreign club e..g. through some of our French connections, presumably they won't count for the 12 short/4 long limitations? :unsure:

Last edited:
re; 6.4.6. are asante and okai youth team or are they work experience loans?
If so this might explain why tilson only had two of them on the bench at Gillingham!

Does it suggest that the same player can be signed on two long term loans in the same season (ie could we re-sign M'Voto when he gets fit again?)
Beefy, it doesn't refer as far as I can see to the re-signing of players in the LT loan scenario but I suspect 2 things might apply

- It doesn't specifically exclude lengthening a loan period through to the end of a season.
- These rules are intended I believe to give young (U24) players 1st team opportunities outside their home club. In a situation where a lad has been denied this by injury I can't see the powers that be objecting to him being given an extension to allow for the time he has missed out on.

Just my take on the rules.

Last edited:
re; 6.4.6. are asante and okai youth team or are they work experience loans?
If so this might explain why tilson only had two of them on the bench at Gillingham!
Good thinking Pak. Though I think you can probably have any number on the bench but just "play" 2 i.e. put them on the pitch.

Don't forget we had Whittaker, Asante & Okai for the Gills home game.

Good thinking Pak. Though I think you can probably have any number on the bench but just "play" 2 i.e. put them on the pitch.

Don't forget we had Whittaker, Asante & Okai for the Gills home game.

Youth team players are automatically registered with the Football League, so you are able to name any number on the substitutes' bench for a game.

From The FL Youth Alliance Handbook 2009-10:
10 Player Registrations
10.1 (a) Subject to Rule 10.1 (b) below, only Players who are under 18 years of age as at 31st August in the current Season will be eligible to play in The Football League Youth Alliance.
(b) Clubs may include on their teamsheet for any match up to two players over the age of 18 provided always that such players are:
(i) registered with The Football League as a Scholar; and
(ii) under 19 years of age as at 31st August in the current season
10.2 Players registered with The Football League, The Premier League, Central League and Football Combination will automatically be registered to play in The Football League Youth Alliance, provided they comply with Rule 10.1 (a).

Work experience loans are generally periods where youth team players at a Football League club go out to a club in the Conference, Conference South or Isthmian/Southern/Northern Leagues. These are deemed as "work experience" rather than as an out-and-out loan, and we have done it with Luke Thurlbourne's initial spell at St Albans City in the past.

LB and CB are massive priorities .. seeing 2 midfielders playing in defence on Saturday was embarrassing

This begs the question then that if we bring loanees from a foreign club e..g. through some of our French connections, presumably they won't count for the 12 short/4 long limitations? :unsure:

I believe that's right.

I remember Leeds did that during our Championship season with Casper Ankergren.

They had been fielding more than the number of loanees allowed in the matchday squad (or something like that!), but Ankergren didn't count in the total as he was on loan from Brondby.

Send T&B to France....... :)

Last edited:
Right, as we're hopefully going to be back in the land of the living as far as loans are concerned I thought I'd try to find the current rules. Before the embargo there was some discussion about the numbers allowed but I don't think we ever resolved the matter, so apologies if we did I must have missed it, however it's probably not a bad time to restate them.

The FA rules are quite extensive & I've now found the full 2009-10 version

http://thefa.com/TheFA/RulesandRegulations/~/media/Files/PDF/TheFA/FA%20Handbook%2009%2010/FA_Handbook_Full_Proof_NO_CROP.ashx/FA_Handbook_Full_Proof_NO_CROP.pdf if you can see from the whole path name they bury them a bit!

Anyway the relevant paragraphs are on pages 614-615 (out of 676!!) but to extract the pertinent sections

Short term loans
- allowed a maximum of 12 (this was 8 in the previous version)
- between 28 & 93 days in any one season
- must be continous (so if Friend ever came back after his time at Scunny, he'd count again)
- if they become permanent signings the loan doesn't count

Long term loans
- allowed a maximum of 4 (this was also 8 in the past)
- players must be under 24 on 30/6 pre season start
- there are now 2 periods the 1st being from before 31/8 through to 1/1-31/1 and
- 2nd is between 1/1-31/1 until the end of the season (this used to one period from any time pre 1/1 until the end of the season only I believe)

Now this is interesting!
6.4.6 The maximum number of Short Term Loans will be 12 per Season and Long Term Loans will be 4 per Season. Whilst a Club may register any number of Work Experience Players only 2 may play in any one match in accordance with FA Rules.

Club may name up to a maximum of 5 Players on a Team Sheet who are either Long Term Loans, Short Term Loans or Work Experience Players with no more than 2 from any one Category
. I think that's new.

So given what we've had we can confirm, rather than speculate
Short term - Heath, White, Friend, O'Donovan
Long term - M'voto, Sawyer

Perhaps the mods could put the FA rules in the links page, if there is one, on the main site for future reference then we might shorten some of the debates on matters like this.

Time to bump this I think.

So as long as M'voto, Vernon, Malone and Baldwin are here, only two of them can be named in the same teamsheet?

Somebody might want to notify Tilson of this, as the OS currently states that Vernon and Baldwin will both go into the squad for tomorrow.

Plus surely we've used more than 4 long term loans? Mvoto, Sawyer (albeit cut short), Malone and now Vernon and Baldwin?

Wonder if the FA nullified Sawyers loan?

Plus surely we've used more than 4 long term loans? Mvoto, Sawyer (albeit cut short), Malone and now Vernon and Baldwin?

Vernon (26) and Baldwin (27) cannot be on long term loan - they are too old.

So as long as M'voto, Vernon, Malone and Baldwin are here, only two of them can be named in the same teamsheet?

My guess is that M'Voto and Malone are on long term loan, with Vernon and Baldwin on short term.

Last edited:
Vernon and Baldwin will be short term -93 days will take us up to the 2nd of May
I would guess Malone is long term

Ah that clears up my point then. I thought short term would be month-to-month, so yea, I suppose the 2 new lads would be classed as short terms.

as vernon and baldwin are over 24 they do not count to the 4 long term loans

Back