• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Loans

Firestorm

Pedant
The premier league have to submit finite 25 player squads to the FA shortly which , as I understand , cannot be altered until the January transfer window opens.

Does this mean that there will be a number of players on Prem teams books who will not be allowed to play competitively ? and is this likely to fuel the number of Prem team players dropping down the leagues on loan to maintain their match fitness and possible mean that some teams will not require much in the way of salary contributions from the club "borrowing" the player.

perhaps Sturrock could have a word with 'arry about Woodgate :)

Can anyone explain the thinking behind this rule?

You can use unlimited U20's outside of the 25-man squad at any time throughout the season, so it's supposed to increase the numbers of English youths being given a chance instead of clubs, like Man City, assembling 40 foreigners on a whim.

I didnt think we were in Spurs' goodbooks at the mo

In fact our reputation may hinder our chances with getting loans if we have to pay a %'ge of wage contribution.

Can anyone explain the thinking behind this rule?

Perhaps its an attempt to level the field. However, for the teams competing in CL it might stretch the squads a bit if they get unlucky with a few injuries.

Plenty of exciting youngsters available then.

Let's hope we bag a few.
Hmm, not quite. This rule actually means less chance of us bagging youngsters in my view of it, as they can use unlimited amounts of under 21's and so will be used more. Good for the game overall and I think it's right, but not necessarily immediately any benefit to us.

To be honest I would prefer that PS puts money and effort into finding good permenant players rather than rely on the services of loaned players from other teams where we have no prospect of signing them.
For the last few seasons I feel we have used far too many loanee's [which I appreciate was influenced by our finances] which does nothing for consistency and team spirit - a settled squad is whats needed.
I would be happy without any loaned players and instead support a Southend United Team I can identify with again.

To be honest I would prefer that PS puts money and effort into finding good permenant players rather than rely on the services of loaned players from other teams where we have no prospect of signing them.
For the last few seasons I feel we have used far too many loanee's [which I appreciate was influenced by our finances] which does nothing for consistency and team spirit - a settled squad is whats needed.
I would be happy without any loaned players and instead support a Southend United Team I can identify with again.

Agree to an extent, but when players such as federici, stanislas or dervite are available for other teams to take advantage of, it would be detrimental to our chances of success by letting the opportunity pass by.

This won't affect the League One/Two loan market as such, as the player who would be willing to be sent to such a club wouldn't be anywhere near the first team anyway. This will impact Championship clubs who intended to bolster their squads with loan signings, but not so much us.

One thing you may find, however, is an increasing number of senior professionals, like Stephen Ireland, willing to go on loan to clubs like Blackpool just to keep match-fit.

Agree to an extent, but when players such as federici, stanislas or dervite are available for other teams to take advantage of, it would be detrimental to our chances of success by letting the opportunity pass by.

I'm not sure I would agree. Can't argue that we have had some very good loaned players, but the downside is a less settled squad in the long-term. When a good loan player returns to their parent club, we then have to replace them with a player from the subs-bench, who may be lacking match fitness and has to regain understanding with his the team again. Also the player replacing the loaned player is probably inferior in quality and therefore the team has now to adapt to playing with someone who is less capable.
There’s also a question of the impact that a new loaned may have on the morale of other permanent players – maybe fringe players who have been working toward the first team, or for the first team player who has been told that despite playing well will be displaced by a loaned player for a few weeks/months. I think it is far more unsettling to the team than we realise.
As I said in my earlier post, I struggle to identify with a Southend United Team that change from one month to the next.

Back