• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Thought it worthwhile starting a thread on this as we are only a few weeks away. Any seats in or around Southend up for grabs this May?

Obviously, London is going to be very interesting - e.g in Hillingdon Labour are really on the attack as Boris Johnson is an MP for a large chunk of that area. A pal of mine is a Conservative councillor there and this is the toughest battle they've had there for a while. Bookies still have the Conservatives strong favourites but he's not quite as optimistic.

Thought it worthwhile starting a thread on this as we are only a few weeks away. Any seats in or around Southend up for grabs this May?

Obviously, London is going to be very interesting - e.g in Hillingdon Labour are really on the attack as Boris Johnson is an MP for a large chunk of that area. A pal of mine is a Conservative councillor there and this is the toughest battle they've had there for a while. Bookies still have the Conservatives strong favourites but he's not quite as optimistic.

You do know of course,as Nye Bevan so memorably said, that all Tories are "lower than vermin"?

You do know of course,as Nye Bevan so memorably said, that all Tories are "lower than vermin"?

I suspected you'd post something like that.

My mate isn't vermin - and he is a very good local councillor too. Boring but essential stuff like pedestrian crossings on busy roads, new play areas, etc. have been sorted out on his watch.

But you're a ****.

Now let's get back on topic.

My mate isn't vermin - and he is a very good local councillor too. Boring but essential stuff like pedestrian crossings on busy roads, new play areas, etc. have been sorted out on his watch.

But you're a ****.

As it happens, my late father was approached to be a local Tory councillor,back in the 60's, but he refused when they insisted he would need elocution lessons.Having been brought up in the East End, I suppose he did have quite a strong cockney accent.

If the Tories get routed, what chance of May stepping aside?

Minimal.

There's a truce whereby the Party is going to let her stay on to finish Brexit, which in turn will finish her politically.

She'll go in 2020 or 2021, probably citing health reasons.

I think the only thing that would derail this plan would be if she managed to lose the vote in Westminster on the deal with the EU but I think that's unlikely as an overwhelming majority in Parliament understand that even a bad deal will be better than no deal.

I'll be voting for Kerry Smith in the locals. Very good local independent. Bit of a checkered past but he has more than made up for that with what he has achieved.

I have my postal vote form and all parties are putting a candidate forward with an independent being Tino Callaghan, who was a UKIP in the past.
I have had most party stuff thru and all seem to want more Police, clean the brook, keep Hospital as it is, more low cost and council housing.
None mention Roots Hall/SUFC/FF.
Who to vote for?
I can't vote Tory in case that is interpreted as a partial vote for Amiss.
I can't vote Labour in case that is interpreted as a partial vote for JC.
Any pointers folks?

Someone has stolen the vote Labour stake I had in my front garden (front yard?) - prime location as I'm on a main road so I'll replace it. Might do a sweepstake on how many stakes I'll get through before the election....

But you're a ****.

If you honestly think that local council politics is just about "boring but essential stuff like pedestrian crossings on busy roads,new play areas etc" then you're more naive than I thought.

BTW-as a mod-I imagine that you're fully aware that calling someone a ****,just opens up the floodgates for some of the dimmer elements on SZ to follow suit?

If you honestly think that local council politics is just about "boring but essential stuff like pedestrian crossings on busy roads,new play areas etc" then you're more naive than I thought.

BTW-as a mod-I imagine that you're fully aware that calling someone a ****,just opens up the floodgates for some of the dimmer elements on SZ to follow suit?

You're the one who implied a good friend of mine is vermin.

On the contrary, I was merely quoting an opinion a politician I admire about Tories in general.

Since I (obviously ) don't know your friend, I can't really have an opinion on him.

Back on topic.One of the few things that Cameron's (and Boy George's ) 2010 coalition government is likely to be remembered for,was the rather jolly wheeze of making local councils responsible for implementing national Tory austerity cuts at local level.

Thus local councils are often blamed for imposing what are in effect cuts on their budgets imposed at national level.This is precisely what I meant when I said that local government is in fact about much more than merely fixing holes in the road etc.

Minimal.

There's a truce whereby the Party is going to let her stay on to finish Brexit, which in turn will finish her politically.

She'll go in 2020 or 2021, probably citing health reasons.

I think the only thing that would derail this plan would be if she managed to lose the vote in Westminster on the deal with the EU but I think that's unlikely as an overwhelming majority in Parliament understand that even a bad deal will be better than no deal.

Loathe as I am to admit it,I make you right on both counts,including your caveat.

Notwithstanding that,I'd expect the Tories to suffer heavy defeats in the local elections, especially in metropolitan big city areas like the inner London boroughs etc. where people have had plenty of time to observe (and feel) the effects of Tory austerity cuts on their local services.

I'll be voting for Kerry Smith in the locals. Very good local independent. Bit of a checkered past but he has more than made up for that with what he has achieved.

A bit chequered :hilarious::hilarious:

The man is pure scum under a different party, each to their own

F14F9501-062C-7CAB-8D02AA9804F73FAE.jpg

Yeah Ratfans!

A bit chequered :hilarious::hilarious:

The man is pure scum under a different party, each to their own

Scum is a strong word for someone who has been re-elected twice and has become a county councillor as an independent.

He gets my vote for what he has done, not what he was.

Back