• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I too have done ok under all governments in the past 40 years, certainly the “not ok” periods have not primarily been the governments fault. But In that time there have been millions who have suffered due to government policies, and I mean suffered , not mildly inconvenienced by having only loads of money instead of shedloads, or only being able to buy a new BMW every two years instead of annually.
It is these people I think about when I vote , not myself.
That , of course, is a personal choice and is up to me and is neither right nor wrong.
I always used to believe that party politics should not influence local elections. Vote for what is best for the local community in those (Residents associations were big influences in the 70’s ) and Vote for what is best for the nation in the GE .
I like to think that I am fortunate enough to be capable of ensuring I do ok myself, many are not.

If it is about opinions then for me JC and DA are worthy MPs who help to give a balance to Westminster. JC certainly is undisguised on his views (in the main). I liked AWB too, and Dennis Skinner. BUT none of them would get my vote for top jobs. Nor do I consider Boris or Gove suitable for major roles.
All those I have named and many others are worthy "ideas" and impetus people, NOT as leader of this Nation.

If it is about opinions then for me JC and DA are worthy MPs who help to give a balance to Westminster. JC certainly is undisguised on his views (in the main). I liked AWB too, and Dennis Skinner. BUT none of them would get my vote for top jobs. Nor do I consider Boris or Gove suitable for major roles.
All those I have named and many others are worthy "ideas" and impetus people, NOT as leader of this Nation.
fair enough but which current politician would you trust to lead the country right now?

It seems to me some people on here think we have a presidential system where you vote for an individual. We don't, which should not need spelling out but clearly does. We vote for a person to represent our constituency and choose that person on the basis of their party's policies or their personal appeal. The only people who vote for Corbyn or Abbot or Theresa May for that matter are their constituents.
As for the 'Corbyn is unelectable' trope, just because it is parrotted by those whose interests are threatened by Labour's policies such as foreign based tax avoiding newspaper owners and television moguls doesn't make it true but then again, anyone who swallows the BBCs utterly ludicrous spin on the local election results is probably impervious to facts and logic anyway.

fair enough but which current politician would you trust to lead the country right now?
A better government than the coalition has yet to appear; Clegg was a fairly level guy who was done down by Cammie, his inability to deliver unrealistic manifesto promises, his own party AND then by an electorate who did not understand how much he had pulled the Tories from the right into measures for the average person. A further period of coalition would have avoided Brexit and may have lead a better moderate country forward, unspectacular and boring but compromise and balanced?
Of current elected politicos Ruth Davidson has not, IMO, put a foot wrong in what was an impossible job (when she took it) and answers questions directly, honestly and adroitly whenever she gets an airing. I hope she runs for central office as she could do a better job than TM et al.

A better government than the coalition has yet to appear; Clegg was a fairly level guy who was done down by Cammie, his inability to deliver unrealistic manifesto promises, his own party AND then by an electorate who did not understand how much he had pulled the Tories from the right into measures for the average person. A further period of coalition would have avoided Brexit and may have lead a better moderate country forward, unspectacular and boring but compromise and balanced?
Of current elected politicos Ruth Davidson has not, IMO, put a foot wrong in what was an impossible job (when she took it) and answers questions directly, honestly and adroitly whenever she gets an airing. I hope she runs for central office as she could do a better job than TM et al.

A coalition that gave us the pre-cursor to the break up of the NHS (Health and Social Care Act) and such delights as the bedroom tax and other punitive measures none of which would have happened if the Tory enabling LibDems had not traded their principles for office.

The LibDems' defence of 'we stopped them being more extreme' has some truth in it but when you see what DUP managed to get out of the Tories you realise just how much the LibDems sold themselves short and sold the country short. They could have had so much more influence - they had the power to bring down the government at any point when backing policies they didn't want to put their name to.

Ruth Davidson - agreed that she is one of the more palatable Tories and she put in a good performance on a Referendum TV debate. She is notorious however for defending the Rape Clause which is a despicable piece of legislation, and was widely criticised in Scotland for dredging up sectarianism for short term political gain.

And of course she is not actually an MP she is an SMP. Doesn't bode well when trying to trying to think of one person from the 650 in our Parliament that is capable of running the country that there needs to be a rollover to another Parliament!

John Curtice called the result of the local elections "a draw".More significantly he extrapolated that Labour would be the largest single party in the next G/E on the basis of last week's results. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I said I wasn't sure how these local elections would go, you confidently predicting a Conservative wipeout. So...

That was clearly "an aspiration" as politicians say.:winking: You'll have noticed that both of the major parties were claiming victory after the elections

In any case, I didn't use the term "wipeout",though granted I did predict heavy defeats for the Tories,which will undoubtedly come at the next GE.

That was clearly "an aspiration" as politicians say.:winking: You'll have noticed that both of the major parties were claiming victory after the elections

In any case, I didn't use the term "wipeout",though granted I did predict heavy defeats for the Tories,which will undoubtedly come at the next GE.

:hilarious: Nothing dents your optimism does it, no matter how misguided or ill judged it is?

Back