• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know guys who played with him at Heybridge and a guy who plays with him at Grays, very good player by all accounts.

Interestingly enough, lads at Chelmsford say Jason Williams would be scoring like that if he were in the Ryman league.

FFS get him in now and stop being so SLOW at everything. Slow to get talent these days from lower league, slow to get players in at the end of season, slow to pay taxes/ wages. mega slow to build a stadium, cmon Ron roll the dice !

Indeed, we should have signed Holman last year when people complained when Col U snapped him up. That way we could be paying his salary whilst he never plays a game like they now have to.

Heres an idea, lets not just roll dice, lets evaluate and bring in the right players.

Williams has scored again today. It does beg the question of why you wouldn't give him some game time at no expense than pay money for this guy who may be just like Issac Layne or Ellis Brown, full of potential but with no end result.

Williams has scored again today. It does beg the question of why you wouldn't give him some game time at no expense than pay money for this guy who may be just like Issac Layne or Ellis Brown, full of potential but with no end result.

Scoring for the U21's isnt the same as playing league one, but agree with your point. If Williams is scoring at that level and assuming that he is good enough for the Ryman league, which he probably is, then yes it does beg the question why bother with this other guy.

The only reason for signing 'DD' would be if he were ready to make an impact in League One and Id imagine fitness wise he would be far less prepared than Williams is already.

Scoring for the U21's isnt the same as playing league one, but agree with your point. If Williams is scoring at that level and assuming that he is good enough for the Ryman league, which he probably is, then yes it does beg the question why bother with this other guy.

The only reason for signing 'DD' would be if he were ready to make an impact in League One and Id imagine fitness wise he would be far less prepared than Williams is already.

It's a tough one, there is no reason why both these players can't make a mark in league one, Lee Angol had a similar scoring record and has 5 so far for Posh. Fitness is a issue with most of these part time clubs though, think it would take a couple of months for DD to get up to speed. I have been told that Nathan Ferguson will have no problems, natural athlete and can run all day, still being told the deal to Fleetwood is all but done for him and should be announced soon.

For me scoring is largely a habit and a state of mind. Lets give him 20 mins most weeks and see what he can do. Clearly not a starter ahead of Moon/Pig but a good bench option I personally feel.

You need more than two strikers in a match day squad, especially when both strikers start the match. There is nothing different to chose from to try and change it. If one gets injured you are very limited, so at the moment while Williams is in form (no matter the opposition) should at least be on the bench. You have nothing to lose by giving him 20 mins at the end. I remember people saying the same about giving Layne and Brown the same chance, getting the Grays guy would be the same too.

Here's another thought, lets evaluate the cookie in the jar, lets evaluate, then evaluate, then evaluate some more, then when we have determined to take the cookie, guess what? They're all gone. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any assessment, but with a 50-50 chance of another Eastwood, flahaven etc, sometimes in life it is unwise not to sit back

It's a tough one, there is no reason why both these players can't make a mark in league one, Lee Angol had a similar scoring record and has 5 so far for Posh. Fitness is a issue with most of these part time clubs though, think it would take a couple of months for DD to get up to speed. I have been told that Nathan Ferguson will have no problems, natural athlete and can run all day, still being told the deal to Fleetwood is all but done for him and should be announced soon.

I agree but Lee Angol will probably get three clear-cut chances in a match for Peterborough. Anyone playing upfront for us will probably get about one clear cut chance every couple of games. We have had some very good strikers over the last couple of years but it's no coincidence none of them have exactly scored shedloads of goals.

That's not to say this lad, or Williams, won't be able to make an impact with us.

Ii wish people would stop making threads like this, all it does is tell other clubs scouting networks that these players are about & southend lose out in the process.............................if you find the next Leo Messi could you do us & Ron a favour and keep stum!!

You need more than two strikers in a match day squad, especially when both strikers start the match. There is nothing different to chose from to try and change it. If one gets injured you are very limited, so at the moment while Williams is in form (no matter the opposition) should at least be on the bench. You have nothing to lose by giving him 20 mins at the end. I remember people saying the same about giving Layne and Brown the same chance, getting the Grays guy would be the same too.
Williams was on the bench and was given 20 minutes at Chesterfield last week and his impact was non-existent at best, although this admittedly could be said of everyone else playing that game.

Just because Williams is scoring goals in youth games doesn't mean he is automatically ready to deserve a place on the bench. Would much rather see him go out on loan for a month to League 2/National League. That will give us a much better indication as to how ready he is.

Ii wish people would stop making threads like this, all it does is tell other clubs scouting networks that these players are about & southend lose out in the process.............................if you find the next Leo Messi could you do us & Ron a favour and keep stum!!
Yes i'm sure all the scouts from top clubs use Shrimperzone to find new players.

Here's another thought, lets evaluate the cookie in the jar, lets evaluate, then evaluate, then evaluate some more, then when we have determined to take the cookie, guess what? They're all gone. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any assessment, but with a 50-50 chance of another Eastwood, flahaven etc, sometimes in life it is unwise not to sit back

Again, if we took that approach we could have been stuck with a dud like Holman as Col U are. He does ok in the conference as well....

If you think signing a non league player gives you a 50% chance of getting another Eastwood you are expecting far too much. Very few will be as good as he was. Mark Bentley has even said he is no Freddy.

Just because Williams is scoring goals in youth games doesn't mean he is automatically ready to deserve a place on the bench. Would much rather see him go out on loan for a month to League 2/National League. That will give us a much better indication as to how ready he is.

Not youth, but Under 21s. However you're right. Under 21 matches are noted for not being particularly competitive or intense and the Conference (National League) would be a more challenging indication of his potential.

If the budget allows then I am very glad to see a few additions, from the non-league, that may prove beneficial to the squad. We have, currently, Pigott and Mooney, who in my opinion are the best we have had for some time, Hunt who is even better and Williams who may or may not prove to be a gem. I have not mentioned Weston because I am still convinced he is not a striker. Thats not saying he has not been useful at times but he is too profligate in front of goal and for me his decision making is the poorest part of his game. When you look at his finishing that is some statement!

Williams is being handled carefully and gently and I assume the powers that be do not see him as ready just yet. That being the case it would be great to have one more, experienced, striker in the mix. Hunt is so far injury prone and should either Pigott or Mooney be injured or suspended then we would have a difficult situation up front.

I have no idea of what resources are available or whether there are already moves afoot to bring in an extra body. A lot of what we want is 'wish list' and not always available in reality.

Ohhh dear it just proves to go that people on here will respond to any old crap that's wrote
Ok so you were being sarcastic, how was i meant to know that? I wouldn't put it past people on here genuinely believing that.

I know guys who played with him at Heybridge and a guy who plays with him at Grays, very good player by all accounts.

There are some pretty good players amongst those who have turned out for both Southend and Grays.

Firstly the obvious ones - Freddy Eastwood, Gary Hooper and Michael Kightly.

Less obvious - Bobby Kellard, David Crown, Wayne Gray, Andy Sussex, Mitchell Cole, Stuart Thurgood, Andy Edwards, Mel Capleton, Mark Stimson, Jamie Stuart

Some you might want to forget - Micky Welch, Craig Reid, James Lawson, Matt Harrold, Carl Emberson and Steve Hatter

...... and a host of others.

Back