• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We as a club are entitled to reject offers for Bentley as its his right not to sign new deal. He like anyone in any job wants to advance his career. He could have thrown a tantrum when he didn't get his move but has got on with things. And im sure he will move onto biggest and better things in near future. As he is still a young player we will still get fee of some sort for him next year

Doesn't matter one way or other what does matter is it doesn't affect his attitude in between the sticks on sataday and the coming months .maybe Mr Martin was a tad greedy .And maybe it will come back to bite up if we get S*d all for Bentley when he does go .But that will be his gain and our loss .

He may be a local lad but has he ever admitted to being a Southend 'fan'? Loads of people in the area say they have a soft spot for Southend and will jump on the bandwagon when we are doing well. When we're in League 2 and struggling these people slag us off and say how rubbish we are (not saying Dan is one of them by any means haha). If he went for free then it would be a shame, but, to be honest I'd rather it went to a tribunal and we got a nominal fee than we had lost him in the summer, a goalkeeper of his calibre at this level is irreplaceable. Sod the money we'll get plenty more of that once we're promoted to the Championship come the end of the season. Oh, and then Dan will sign a new long term deal and guide us to the promise land of the Premiership :thumbsup:

P.s. The new stadium and the dome still won't have been built.

I've just been reading that Bentley has refused to sign a new,longer contract,something that would have bumped up his wages now and given him definite security,in the event of serious injury or loss of form.Much more important it would have enabled our club to receive a much,much larger transfer fee when we eventually sell him.So much for loving the club because he's a local! I would never barrack a current player,but could I suggest that if he dares to come over at the end of tomorrow's match and start clapping at the crowd,he is met with an instant response of total silence.
Cf.that other local hero,Barrett,who actively led the rush of players to get out of the club,when wages became scarce in 2010.Anthony grant was the only senior player who stayed loyal!

Yep, cos that will do Bentley's confidence a whole lot of good won't it?! :facepalm::nope:

As long as he wears the colours of the football club that I support with pride every game, then he gets my support. In no way would I want to boo a player for wanting to further his promising career at a bigger Championship club after all that he's done at Southend over the past few years - that would be ridiculous. Personally I think that he's handled the transfer speculation a LOT better than most premier league footballers would have done & have done this summer (think of the likes of Berahino & De Gea for prime examples of what I mean by that). Whatever he does, and wherever he goes in the future, he will earn it as he is the definition of a true professional.

I think he has done this so that he has the option to leave in January as the club is more likely to accept a decent offer. With QPR the club gambled on getting more and lost. However, I don't think the club will sell him cut price as they don't have to let him go cheap as there will be interest from a few clubs and we will receive compensation, I believe, because of his age. Plus we get a season out of him, which could be worth a fair amount in the long run.

Clubs will be unlikely to make us a decent offer if he only has 6 months left on a deal in January.

Clubs will be unlikely to make us a decent offer if he only has 6 months left on a deal in January.

Very true,

Bents can trouser a massive signing on fee next year which will set him up for life,the guy deserves to be applauded as he has kept his dignity and been highly professional .

It doesn't matter if he signs a contract or not, it just means Ron will cash in January time and then if the squad needs improving then it should happen, not signing this contract will save the club a bit of cash anyway, he only wants to better himself and it's his only right, and he has been loyal to this club more than others no buts:smile:

It certainly puts the control back in Dan's hands.

Given that any signing club will factor in transfer fees and earnings into the overall player cost, I'd imagine it also significantly increases Dan's future earning potential.

Was about to post exactly the same. Spot on. Bentley owes us nothing and played a big part in why we're back in L1. When he goes in January or next summer he'll go with my thanks and best wishes. By not signing a new contract now he'll be in a position to attract a very good wage when he moves on. Provided he doesn't do a "Berahino" and continues to put in 100% for the club and its fans on the pitch (and no-one can deny he is doing that, especially after Coventry) then he'll be applauded by me from now until the end of his final game in a Blues shirt. The guy has shown nothing but total professionalism, especially with the club refusing very good offers from much bigger clubs. Would I sign a new contract in his shoes? No, I wouldn't. The guy wants to play at the very top level and there is no way he can achieve that with us. Good luck to him, let's make the most of it while he's still here and pick up enough points to consolidate our position in L1.

Utter nonsense this. You're a fan. They are paid employees. You fail to understand that the 2 are completely different things.

No need to add anymore to this. 100% correct. The first post is a disgrace

Not Bentleys fault, club should off taken the QPR Offer, he will go in the summer for a minimal fee!!!

There are some right plonkers running our club to think he is going to sign a new deal, good luck to him I hope he becomes a multi millionaire playing football!!!!

I've just been reading that Bentley has refused to sign a new,longer contract,something that would have bumped up his wages now and given him definite security,in the event of serious injury or loss of form.Much more important it would have enabled our club to receive a much,much larger transfer fee when we eventually sell him.So much for loving the club because he's a local! I would never barrack a current player,but could I suggest that if he dares to come over at the end of tomorrow's match and start clapping at the crowd,he is met with an instant response of total silence.
Cf.that other local hero,Barrett,who actively led the rush of players to get out of the club,when wages became scarce in 2010.Anthony grant was the only senior player who stayed loyal!

What an absolute load of rubbish.

He doesn't owe the club anything. He could've been a **** this summer and forced a move through, but he didn't do that, and we are lucky he didn't.

During the contract he has had with the club he has give 100% in everything, and had a huge part to play in the fact we are now a league higher.

I fully expect him to leave at the end of the season, at which point I hope he will have helped us stay up and helped bring Ted along ready to take over.

I will wish him every success when he leaves, and follow his career with a keener interest that any player in a long time. I genuinely hope that he reaches the very top of the game. An absolutely cracking lad, with a superb attitude.

To question his love for the club is madness, just look at his reaction when Burton beat us in the playoffs two years ago and his reaction to his penalty heroics at Wembley.

Just because he loves the club doesn't mean he shouldn't want to better himself. Can you honestly say if had the talent you would stay at Southend rather than give yourself the chance to go higher and the massive earning potential that brings??

Firstly the club should have inserted demotion clause into those deals.

Secondly they are human beings who need to feed their families regardless of what club they played for or wanted to go to.

I don't think many players would agree to a relegation clause. I wonder how widespread they are. I suspect not very...

I don't think many players would agree to a relegation clause. I wonder how widespread they are. I suspect not very...

Since the Bristol City debacle decades ago,most clubs have learnt from Bristol's near demise.Players have promotion clauses and demotion clauses within their contract.

actually, they are quite common in the Premiership. But I doubt that this is the case for lower-league clubs.

I've just messaged my agent friend who said they're not standard clauses in contracts, but are very widespread. I stand corrected.

Having less time left on his contract will on the face of it lessen his value but if he has a very impressive few months in League One it is not beyond the realms of possibility that a PL club or two could become interested then hopefully everyone could end up quite happy.

This thread is total rubbish, proved by Browns column in the echo yesterday saying how classy Bentley has been through out the whole process. Yes I do worry that now we're not going to get much money for him but its not like that money would go to help the squad so who cares. Its just going to go to pay Rons debt or on a new Bentley and by that I mean a car!!!!

Possibly the most clueless post I have ever seen on SZ.
Daniel Bentley is an employee of the football club who has given everything asked of him...and more. Like any professional he has ambitions to develop his career and no doubt dreams of The Prem and England. That is the business of a hungry, talented, aspiring footballer.
So far Southend United - a business keen to protect an asset and receive the maximum value for a key member of the squad - has not deemed offers as acceptable. That is the business of a Limited Company.

Daniel is an excellent goalkeeper, an excellent professional and has said or done nothing (that I am aware of) to suggest that Southend United supporters should give him anything but absolute support.

What a nonsense post!

Back