• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Zeuss

Manager
I've just been reading that Bentley has refused to sign a new,longer contract,something that would have bumped up his wages now and given him definite security,in the event of serious injury or loss of form.Much more important it would have enabled our club to receive a much,much larger transfer fee when we eventually sell him.So much for loving the club because he's a local! I would never barrack a current player,but could I suggest that if he dares to come over at the end of tomorrow's match and start clapping at the crowd,he is met with an instant response of total silence.
Cf.that other local hero,Barrett,who actively led the rush of players to get out of the club,when wages became scarce in 2010.Anthony grant was the only senior player who stayed loyal!

I've just been reading that Bentley has refused to sign a new,longer contract,something that would have bumped up his wages now and given him definite security,in the event of serious injury or loss of form.Much more important it would have enabled our club to receive a much,much larger transfer fee when we eventually sell him.So much for loving the club because he's a local! I would never barrack a current player,but could I suggest that if he dares to come over at the end of tomorrow's match and start clapping at the crowd,he is met with an instant response of total silence.
Cf.that other local hero,Barrett,who actively led the rush of players to get out of the club,when wages became scarce in 2010.Anthony grant was the only senior player who stayed loyal!

What utter rubbish !

Bents owes nothing,just like every pro player he wants to go as high as he can whilst if course gaining riches beyond his wildest dreams.

Dont think many will be backing your stance.

In the Echo.

He was never going to sign a new contract just to give us a bigger deal.

What would have been nice would have been if he signed one with a 1million release clause in it though so he would still get his move and allow us to guarantee a sale.

Total nonsense.

Barrett was forced out of the club when Ron stopped paying him. Ron wanted him out of the club and by not paying him for several months meant Barrett could walk away from the contract.

How dare players not getting paid and being unable to support their families want to be somewhere where they get paid to work.

Apparently we have already received reasonable offers which the club refused. Not Daniel's fault. As far as I can tell he hasn't tried to engineer a move away and has continued to put in good performances. If he keeps that up I'll continue to applaud him.

Utter nonsense this. You're a fan. They are paid employees. You fail to understand that the 2 are completely different things.

Apparently we have already received reasonable offers which the club refused. Not Daniel's fault. As far as I can tell he hasn't tried to engineer a move away and has continued to put in good performances. If he keeps that up I'll continue to applaud him.

This is spot on, we knew the contract situation. Dan missed out on a big move to QPR, he hasn't made a fuss about it and stayed professional. He doesn't want to miss out again so he is taking control of his own destiny, next summer he can go wherever he likes

Would you turn up for work every day if you weren't getting paid and somehow had to feed your family and keep a roof over their heads?

This is spot on, we knew the contract situation. Dan missed out on a big move to QPR, he hasn't made a fuss about it and stayed professional. He doesn't want to miss out again so he is taking control of his own destiny, next summer he can go wherever he likes

It certainly puts the control back in Dan's hands.

Given that any signing club will factor in transfer fees and wages into the overall player cost, I'd imagine it also significantly increases Dan's future earning potential.

Thats a good point, he can negotiate a much bigger signing on fee if they dont have to pay a big transfer fee.

Probably worth far more to him doing that than an extra 50k from us over the next season in wages.

We have turned down offers for a player that is under contract to us, he has turned down the opportunity to extend that contract.

Nobody has done anything wrong - move on everyone!

Bentley has handled this the best he can, a testement to the type of bloke he is.

Personally I reckon the Club will take a view of where we are come January and maybe try and tout him around for say a cut price of £500k.

However, I think Dan is vital to us over the coming 4 months of the season in this new/higher league.

The Club had to at least try and offer him a new deal they probably aren't surprised that he turned it down, but if you don't try you don't know for sure.

However, I will always continue to support the players that turn out of the Club and give their all, which Dan has and will, that I have no doubt.

Would you turn up for work every day if you weren't getting paid and somehow had to feed your family and keep a roof over their heads?

A reminder for you,mate :- a good while before our problems had become obvious (with the delayed payment of wages) many of us began to worry that many players had been given long,over-generous contracts.Barrett,who even then was past his best,got given a 4 year,yes a 4 year contract,when loyal clubman that he is,threatened to go to a club showing interest........COLCHESTER!

I can't think of many players that have been as loyal as Bentley his behaviour through this transfer window was brilliant I'm sure you would be a lot more peed of if he put in a transfer request and threw his toys out the pram but he didn't, think of the money he would be earning now! A young man looking after his future giving himself the best possible chance whilst at the same time staying very professional I will certainly be applauding him after every game!

A reminder for you,mate :- a good while before our problems had become obvious (with the delayed payment of wages) many of us began to worry that many players had been given long,over-generous contracts.Barrett,who even then was past his best,got given a 4 year,yes a 4 year contract,when loyal clubman that he is,threatened to go to a club showing interest........COLCHESTER!

Colchester showed interest and we offered him a contract we couldn't really afford. And thats Barretts fault? He hardly threatened to go there.

Firstly the club should have inserted demotion clause into those deals.

Secondly they are human beings who need to feed their families regardless of what club they played for or wanted to go to.

If someone offered you job security for 4 years you wouldn't take it?

I think he has done this so that he has the option to leave in January as the club is more likely to accept a decent offer. With QPR the club gambled on getting more and lost. However, I don't think the club will sell him cut price as they don't have to let him go cheap as there will be interest from a few clubs and we will receive compensation, I believe, because of his age. Plus we get a season out of him, which could be worth a fair amount in the long run.

Back