• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Seems quite fair to me ...What would you have us do , let the whole place rum amok...Let every whimsical guys bad mood day effect us all...let havoc rule, maybe let every poster who happens to get out of the wrong side of the bed have carte blanche to do as he feels fit....Ridiculous....There has to be some kind of rules..For sure they will not suit all. Have you a better plan to keep 800 posters happy 24/7..and to be adaptable to all their constant mood changes and wishes...I doubt it .

We do our best, We are only Human.

What were you drinking last night, mate? ;) Something Jackie and Tony brought you back? :D

I kind of know what TFS is getting at, and it's a similar scenario to what we had when graysblue disappeared. At situation develops which the person concerned, and many others, does not get answers to the questions they're asking. In both cases, numerous threads along the same vein were started by Irate Ian and graysblue, both had a distinctive writing style which in itself, wound up a number of people on the board, as did some of their subject matter. Both, however, felt they had justification for doing so and the frustration of having thread after thread locked without getting the kind of response they were looking for didn't exactly diffuse the situation.

Now, I don't know what went on behind the scenes, I would imagine in both cases there were numerous pms sent from the owners to both posters, I would also imagine there were numerous pms sent by other posters to both of them trying to get them to calm down, but from their point of view it's very much the old classic scenario beloved of parents and abhored by kids of "because I told you to". It never helps solve a situation and the offspring/posters resent it.

I'm not trying to tell you guys what to do, but sometimes this attitude of "it's our forum" doesn't help matters at all. If people have genuine questions which they want opinions on, how are they supposed to get answers if threads are continuously locked? If they break no other rules - and I have to say that graysblue's did sometimes - then what's so wrong? Surely all everyone else has to do is put the person on ignore if they don't want to read their posts? It's what you guys have always told me to do in my run ins with various people, and yet, this "choice" seems to be being denied us the right to make.

I accept that Ian's habit of posting numerous threads on the same subject all over the place was particularly annoying, but I know he felt that bunging any posts in the Finance forum rather than in the Pub meant less exposure. Whether that's true or not I don't know, I use the "New Posts" update whenever I come on so I see all new posts everywhere, rather than going through one forum at a time.

As for Thread Diversion - it's done to diffuse tricky situations, sometimes it's appropriate and it works, sometimes it doesn't - in itself not a reason for deletion or closure in my eyes, just a quick smack on the wrist for the perpetrators!

I've tried to be objective here, I'm sorry if I've trod on anyone's toes, it's my two penn'orth that's all.

Last edited:
I thought very hard before commenting on the Ian / modding debate, mainly because by doing so it conflicts with what I am going to say and also because I don't want to be giving it the "my board" thing, but with that in mind, LF speaketh his mind.....

The key thing in OBL's opening post was "if you don't like it **** off". Mods and Admins on all boards do it in their own time so that you ungrateful *******s can enjoy the service. In return for doing that, you lot should let them do it how best they see fit.

Irate Ian is an idiot. Anyone who comes onto a forum with a message of "I am not going to post anymore" should have their membership immediately ceased. We do it where I come from, and do you know, we've not had a single post of that nature for 3 years.

Also, if someone wants to question my abilities as a board admin they do via PM to the board owner. If someone wants to question the mods who run my board, they do via me. Via PM. It works.

Anything that is seen as mod bashing is removed, no questions. Its in our rules, or board.

I'd suggest the rules of SZ are amended to include this as it would stop threads like this one.

The key thing in OBL's opening post was "if you don't like it **** off". Mods and Admins on all boards do it in their own time so that you ungrateful *******s can enjoy the service. In return for doing that, you lot should let them do it how best they see fit.

Irate Ian is an idiot. Anyone who comes onto a forum with a message of "I am not going to post anymore" should have their membership immediately ceased. We do it where I come from, and do you know, we've not had a single post of that nature for 3 years.

Can anyone help me find where I've said what LF says here? I know my marbles are escaping at a rate of knots but I really don't remember this at all.

I also think the comments towards II are not particularly helpful. People disagree with each other, there are people you don't get on with - it happens in all walks of life. You deal with it, if you're adult enough to.

Can anyone help me find where I've said what LF says here? I know my marbles are escaping at a rate of knots but I really don't remember this at all.

I also think the comments towards II are not particularly helpful. People disagree with each other, there are people you don't get on with - it happens in all walks of life. You deal with it, if you're adult enough to.
The problem is,in Lord footballs ideal world,if you disagree,it's siberia for you sunshine,nasty ha ha.

As someone who is eternally grateful to the owners and mods who give up their own time and money for all of our collective benefit, I personally would have no objection at all if it were run as a dictatorship.

In a previous career I had an involvement in working for a financial website with a worldwide audience on message boards running into many tens of thousands. They had offices in London and the USA and it still took a team of dedicated staff numbering about 10 in London only to moderate the boards on a 24 hour basis. And that wasn't over anything as emotive as football.

The point here is that there is one overriding quality which seems to be lacking in todays society generally and especially by certain posters on this board, and that quality is respect.

There is insufficient respect shown for others viewpoints or opinions, insufficient respect shown to the mods and owners for their legal position and too many people with too much time concerning themselves with things that don't concern them at all showing no respect for the people who are responsible for those things.

If it were my site then to be honest I probably wouldn't allow any non SUFC posts at all and would ban everyone who failed to share my rose tinted views of our beloved club. On bad days I'd sanction anyone with an "e" in their user name and temporarily block users who used the words "should of" instead of "should have". But then that's probably also why I don't run my own site...

I would like to make a complaint. You say you will not tolerate abuse etc. but ayshire blue called me GAY, when he left neg rep for like the 6th time. If calling someone a flids not banter then calling someone gay certainly isn't.

Too many double standards if you ask me, however he'll probably get a pat on the back and tea.

How will I see when this matter has been attended to?
Haha, funny times :D

On bad days I'd sanction anyone with an "e" in their user name and temporarily block users who used the words "should of" instead of "should have". But then that's probably also why I don't run my own site...

Too considerate. I've asked for these offences to be treated with a life ban, but keep on getting outvoted.

I suggest the pair of you listen to this great view of the English language.
Clicky here and turn the volume up!!

Back