• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

London marathon

JoshC

Members
Running the London marathon on Sunday and I can't wait! Will any other shrimpers be out there running as well? Anyone run before have any advice it would be hugely appreciated.

Just a shameless plug for my charity while I'm here, I'm running for vitalise which is a very worthwhile charity providing breaks for carers and disabled people. Www.vitalise.org.uk
If you would like to donate, any amount would be hugely appreciated:http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JoshClark

Thanks and good luck to any runners if there are any!

Bit late Josh, I sponsored a woman over the road who is running for a blind charity but I'll have alook at your site. My son ran last year for Poppy but due to a football injury never managed to complete his training but he got round in extremely hot weather in about 5 hours.
Its a great day for spectators, good luck have fun, hope you enjoy it.

Running the London marathon on Sunday and I can't wait! Will any other shrimpers be out there running as well? Anyone run before have any advice it would be hugely appreciated.

Just a shameless plug for my charity while I'm here, I'm running for vitalise which is a very worthwhile charity providing breaks for carers and disabled people. Www.vitalise.org.uk
If you would like to donate, any amount would be hugely appreciated:http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JoshClark

Firestorm will be able to give you plenty of advice he I know has done London a few times.
Good luck Josh, and hope you raise lots of money.

Bit late Josh, I sponsored a woman over the road who is running for a blind charity but I'll have alook at your site. My son ran last year for Poppy but due to a football injury never managed to complete his training but he got round in extremely hot weather in about 5 hours.
Its a great day for spectators, good luck have fun, hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for the donation steveo, really appreciate it! Went last year to watch and I know what you mean about the hot weather, it must have been hard to run in. Aiming to break four hours but to be honest just getting round is enough.

Firestorm will be able to give you plenty of advice he I know has done London a few times.
Good luck Josh, and hope you raise lots of money.

Only the once Harry and I hated it

If you are aiming for a time don't get obsessed with your mile splits and definately don't try and make up any lost time quickly the change in pace chasing lost time will cost your dearly and you may find that you misread it anyway
The year I ran there were complaints that the 9 mile mark was 150 yards out I thought I was behind schedule upped the pace to compensate and it threw everything out, by 15 I was struggling
Also make sure you eat well
It's difficult to get a lot of fuel in at 5 in the morning but a couple of bits of toast and a few energy bars before 9 oc will not be enough I have never been so hungry in all my life I was looking for a burger van down the embankment and when someone recognised the Southend ac club vest and gave me a shout I ran towards them and cadged some biscuits

I ran the London 3 times in the 80's, ran a total of 13 in all. With sundays forecast being wet, i would say definately wear a thermal t-shirt under your vest. It will keep you warmer, and wont be as heavy or wet as a normal t-shirt would get. And dont forget the vaseline!

Not run it personally (find it tiring watching the whole thing on TV) but the advice I would give is dont bother with the lap of honour. Its a killer.

Back