• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

London restaurant recommendations

There's a Carluccio's very near Covent Garden that is always good.

Heading to London next weekend to watch Kate Bush. First weekend away for a while and looking for somewhere nice to get a decent bite to eat. We're staying in East London and the gig is in West London so somewhere central to eat would be great, especially where there is a good pub or bar near by.

Not a chain, not really expensive and where you can eat at about 5/5.30. This probably limits us to pre-theatre places I guess?

Any help greened. Thanks xx

:winking::smile:

Pubey said:
Heading to London next weekend to watch Kate Bush. First weekend away for a while and looking for somewhere nice to get a decent bite to eat. We're staying in East London and the gig is in West London so somewhere central to eat would be great, especially where there is a good pub or bar near by.

Not a chain, not really expensive and where you can eat at about 5/5.30. This probably limits us to pre-theatre places I guess?

Where's mine :winking:

I know, I know, but Carluccio's isn't quite the same as a Pizza Express or something is it?

You could always try Clos Maggiore, which is very special! :winking:

Fully booked unfortunately.

Not a fan of Carluccios really, don't think it's much better than Pizza Express/Zizzis etc.

Fully booked unfortunately.

Not a fan of Carluccios really, don't think it's much better than Pizza Express/Zizzis etc.

Clos Maggiore is lovely! I much prefer Carluccio's to the others! There is a lovely little bistro very near the Prince Edward Theatre, heading down Old Compton Street, but I can't remember the name of it.....am trying to see if I can find it on t'internet atm.

Edit: Amalfi, Old Compton Street! http://www.amalfi-restaurant.co.uk/

Last edited:
I'm going to Bodean's (the Soho one) on Saturday for the first time, really looking forward to it! Highly recommended if you like american style BBQ food!

The thing with London is there are plenty of decent restaurants all over the place. If you start at Ken Hom's at Bank, wander along Cheapside, go on to High Holborn and down New Oxford Street and in to Covent Garden there must be at least a dozen very good places to eat along the way.

The thing with London is there are plenty of decent restaurants all over the place. If you start at Ken Hom's at Bank, wander along Cheapside, go on to High Holborn and down New Oxford Street and in to Covent Garden there must be at least a dozen very good places to eat along the way.
Yeah there's definitely such a thing as too much choice! One of the upsides of living in a smaller city is that there's still lots of good places to eat (Sheffield, Manchester and Leeds have some brilliant restaurants) but they're a bit easier to find and choose!

If you're coming over from east London, then Highbury and Islington tube/train station could be a good stop, via what used to be called the North London (rail) Line, now 'Overground' I think. There's a good little Italian restaurant a Ryan Leonard throw-in away in Holloway Road called 'Trevi' and if you're looking for a decent boozer then The Compton Arms just off Upper Street (in Compton Ave., I think) is brilliant - like a little country pub tucked away from the main drag. Just one tube change from H&I to Hammersmith too - either Kings Cross or Green Park for the Piccadilly or Kings Cross for the Met and of course Victoria for District.

You're staying at Bonds in Threadneedle Street as I recall, is that right? Not exactly East London, but it's east of the West End, haha. They have an excellent restaurant there, but not sure of the opening hours over the weekend. Around the St Pauls area there are loads of decent places to eat if you're looking for somewhere quiet. Barbecoa in New Change is probably the best, although it can be a little pricey and touristy at times. Alternatively, if you're looking for something a little left field, I can recommend la Bodega Negra http://labodeganegra.com/#Hours or Tapas Brindisa (Soho) http://www.brindisatapaskitchens.com/tapas-brindisa-soho/. Otherwise, there are just so many places to choose from, but having had a quick read through this thread Kettners & Christophers are both excellent. My favourite place in Soho, although closed for a refurbishment is here: http://www.andrewedmunds.com/sample-menu.html. Last time we went to Hammersmith Apollo we went to a place recommended by a colleague. It was called The Capri and is in Holkam Street (check spelling). That was a while ago and was a good rustic Italian. You'll have to Google it as it was a while ago we went, so I'm not sure it's still there. Have fun.

You're staying at Bonds in Threadneedle Street as I recall, is that right? Not exactly East London, but it's east of the West End, haha. They have an excellent restaurant there, but not sure of the opening hours over the weekend. Around the St Pauls area there are loads of decent places to eat if you're looking for somewhere quiet. Barbecoa in New Change is probably the best, although it can be a little pricey and touristy at times. Alternatively, if you're looking for something a little left field, I can recommend la Bodega Negra http://labodeganegra.com/#Hours or Tapas Brindisa (Soho) http://www.brindisatapaskitchens.com/tapas-brindisa-soho/. Otherwise, there are just so many places to choose from, but having had a quick read through this thread Kettners & Christophers are both excellent. My favourite place in Soho, although closed for a refurbishment is here: http://www.andrewedmunds.com/sample-menu.html. Last time we went to Hammersmith Apollo we went to a place recommended by a colleague. It was called The Capri and is in Holkam Street (check spelling). That was a while ago and was a good rustic Italian. You'll have to Google it as it was a while ago we went, so I'm not sure it's still there. Have fun.

haha yeah I don't know why I described it as east London! Thanks for the post - really handy. Need to get down to London a bit more to try some more places!

What was Kate Bush like and where did you eat .

Back