• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

MK Shrimper

Striker
What with the break up of REM, does any get a bit tired of bands that just seem to go on forever? When young and hungry, these bands produce their greatest work and then either vanish up their own butts (hello Radiohead) or just live on their past glories and release crap (The Rolling Stones for example).

I reckon rock bands should have a "best-before" date - 10 years and then goodnight. Worked for The Beatles after all.

Thoughts?

**** off Radiohead went up their butts. They are still writing fantastic music, and definitely one of the best live bands around.

The problem with longevity is that half the fans want the band to diversify and experiment, and the other half want more of the same (e.g. The Bends II, OK Computer II). I guess another group is those who want to just seem them live and do a Greatest Hits tour.

There are plenty of indie bands who have done fairly well over the years, and continue to make good and innovative music. And I'd also say that if you don't like a bands more recent output, then just listen to something else.

**** off Radiohead went up their butts. They are still writing fantastic music, and definitely one of the best live bands around.

The problem with longevity is that half the fans want the band to diversify and experiment, and the other half want more of the same (e.g. The Bends II, OK Computer II). I guess another group is those who want to just seem them live and do a Greatest Hits tour.

There are plenty of indie bands who have done fairly well over the years, and continue to make good and innovative music. And I'd also say that if you don't like a bands more recent output, then just listen to something else.

Ooo! Touch a nerve did I? :hilarious:

Name one of these Indie bands that have been constantly producing good music for over 10 years, because I'm struggling to think of one.

Ooo! Touch a nerve did I? :hilarious:

You knew it would!

I agree that Radiohead's recent stuff will split opinion, but personally I think it's excellent and they still have a massive fanbase and their albums are well received critically. If you don't like it then don't listen to it, but it's not fair to throw them and other recording bands in the pot with those who are just churning out the greatest hits tours and not still making music.

Manic Street Preachers (I saw them in front of 25 people at the Bull and Gate and left early - a poor man's Senseless Things) - said they'd only ever make one album then implode. They lied. One of them was so ashamed he vanished into thin air rather than face the shame. (If You Tolerate This is a damn fine song though - check out the David Holmes remix, top notch). George Michael said he'd never record another album due to being in recording slavery - then made loads more. The Men They Couldn't Hang (thread crossover) have played more last ever gigs than blah blah.

Just a few of the great albums I'd be denied of, if you had your way MK...

REM - Up (15 years after debut)
Pulp - Different Class (12 years after debut)
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (13 years after debut)
Time Out of Mind (35 years after debut)
Radiohead - In Rainbows (14 years after debut)
Pink Floyd - The Wall (12 years after debut)
U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind (20 years after debut)

You're twisting my melon man...call the cops!!!

Just a few of the great albums I'd be denied of, if you had your way MK...

REM - Up (15 years after debut)
Pulp - Different Class (12 years after debut)
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks (13 years after debut)
Time Out of Mind (35 years after debut)
Radiohead - In Rainbows (14 years after debut)
Pink Floyd - The Wall (12 years after debut)
U2 - All That You Can't Leave Behind (20 years after debut)

You're twisting my melon man...call the cops!!!

Excellent call Mr Blobby.....you have received green for your efforts.:clap:

Johnny Cash 51 years after his debut (and 3 years after his death).
I love the fact that folkie Vashti Bunyan realeased her 2nd album 30 years after her 1st and hadn't changed her style at all.
And that My Bloody Valentine have taken 20 years so far to release their 3rd and even the re-issues of the 1st two were delayed by a few months as Kevin Shields hadn't got round to updating the sleeve notes - the lazy hound.

Half the people moan that bands will only be around 5 minutes.... Then we get this! ;)

As many of you know, I'm a massive Springsteen fan and he's still going strong. I'd suggest his last two albums could have been condensed into one fantastic album, but I'd guess the record label wouldn't have wanted that!

I realised I shot myself in the foot. I love Tom Waits and he's older than the dinosaurs. :blush:

I said to my dyslexic mate, "Guess which band has split up?" He said, "Erm..."

I am here all week .:smiles:

Back