• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Long term injured and other injury comeback news

The good news is that Tom Hopper is back after 11 and a half months out (was injured 23 October 2018)

Sam Barratt out since 7 August 2018 (out 15 months so far)
Lewis Gard out since 9 October 2018 (out 13 months so far)
Harry Kyprianou out since 24 November 2018 (out nearly a year so far)

What a wretched few months they were - and that list above doesn't even include Jason Demetriou (injured 27 November 2018 until 9 March 2019 and hasn't fully recovered) and Harry Lennon (injured 23 October 2018 until 23 February 2019):Sad:

Not mentioned in this lot (as he's no longer with us) was Ben Coker, who made his comeback yesterday for Lincoln playing an hour after having been out since 27 October 2018.

Great to see him recovered but man this time last year was rough. 4 of those injuries will have had players out for OVER a year.

The White, Shaughnessy, Kelman, Humprhys injuries are a nuisance but they aren't (hopefully!) 13 or 14 months out.

I watched the England game yesterday. They said that Calum Hudson-Odoi has just recovered from a ruptured Achilles. I looked back. He was injured 5 months ago and is now back playing. So far Harry Kiprianou has been out for almost a year with the same injury.

If it really is the same injury (and I tend to think that maybe Calum's wasn't really a true rupture) then what is going on at Southend that it takes more than double the time to get a player back?

I certainly hope the two injuries aren't really comparable because if they are we have a serious issue that needs addressing.

I watched the England game yesterday. They said that Calum Hudson-Odoi has just recovered from a ruptured Achilles. I looked back. He was injured 5 months ago and is now back playing. So far Harry Kiprianou has been out for almost a year with the same injury.

If it really is the same injury (and I tend to think that maybe Calum's wasn't really a true rupture) then what is going on at Southend that it takes more than double the time to get a player back?

I certainly hope the two injuries aren't really comparable because if they are we have a serious issue that needs addressing.

Maybe the fact they have their own world class surgeons, physicians, physiotherapists and facilities! Premier League players' rehabilitation is always drastically quicker compared to lower league players. I'm not saying he hasn't had setbacks behind the scenes, but again, that happens because the rehabilitation programme isn't to the standard of the Premier League.

I think with a lot of these injuries they come in "grades" and recovery times can vary enormously. I think Kyps snapped his (all the players around him heard it go). Calum probably a rumpture or tear but fundamentally it was still intact kind of thing

I think with a lot of these injuries they come in "grades" and recovery times can vary enormously. I think Kyps snapped his (all the players around him heard it go). Calum probably a rumpture or tear but fundamentally it was still intact kind of thing

I suspect that is the reason (as I alluded to), and as B4LD also mentioned, it could also be down to setbacks. But 7 months extra (and counting) seems like a huge discrepancy.

One thing I don't think it will be down to is their own world class surgeons etc. Clubs don't own surgeons or physicians. The ones they use may be better, but a ruptured Achilles isn't anything special. It's just a tendon that needs repairing. I don't think you need to be world class to fix that. When you go private (as footballers do) you'll only be seen by a consultant that is approved by your insurer anyway. It's not as if you're seeing a novice.

As for the physios. Don't assume anything. My wife has treated international footballers that aren't happy with the treatment they're getting from their clubs. When they have told her what treatment they've been getting she's also been less than impressed. Especially the mis-diagnosis of an injury that led to a player being out for about 3 months rather than the couple of weeks it took her to get him better.

Last edited:

yeah I don't think CHO had a full tear of the achilles. 7-12 months is more typical from what I've heard, it's often around a full year in the NBA where it's a more common injury. However being 18 will have helped the speed of his recovery (but Kyprianou is young as well).

yeah I don't think CHO had a full tear of the achilles. 7-12 months is more typical from what I've heard, it's often around a full year in the NBA where it's a more common injury. However being 18 will have helped the speed of his recovery (but Kyprianou is young as well).

Indeed, which means that it wasn't really a rupture. I certainly hope that is the case. The only thing I'd pick you up on is that (as you say) Kyps is only 22 himself. I don't think he's over the hill in terms of recovery time just yet...is he?

Indeed, which means that it wasn't really a rupture. I certainly hope that is the case. The only thing I'd pick you up on is that (as you say) Kyps is only 22 himself. I don't think he's over the hill in terms of recovery time just yet...is he?
no not over the hill but you can still be growing at 18-19, meaning the fibres in his ligaments are probably a touch more plastic.

I'm not sure if Kypraniou has had any major set backs, or it could just be that his rehab is taking its time. Hopefully we'll see him back soon and the injury doesn't have any lasting impact, because he's a good athlete and decent footballer.

I just looked at Beckham only took 6 months to recover from his achilles tear, which is pretty impressive

My Mrs did her Achilles over a year ago & judging by the amount of moaning she still does about It you’d think her foot had come off. Not sure what relevance this has to the thread but I just wanted to share my burden..

My Mrs did her Achilles over a year ago & judging by the amount of moaning she still does about It you’d think her foot had come off. Not sure what relevance this has to the thread but I just wanted to share my burden..

Get a good chair and a lower ironing board.....Trust me, Its the kind little acts like that which make all the difference.

There's a difference between a full rupture and a partial rupture (which in my case some 7/8 years ago now, was about 80/90 %). You'd have to be about Kyp's age and a professional athlete to get an operation for a full or even partial rupture,.In my case it was an hour at the gym every day for 6 months,doing rehab and no operation.My footballing days are long behind me but it gave me an insight into how it finishes many players' careers in football.

Get a good chair and a lower ironing board.....Trust me, Its the kind little acts like that which make all the difference.

I'm told a hoover is good for any back issues...:Whistling:

Another plus is that cordless versions necessitate a mandatory rest period after 30 mins...

How helpful am I on a Monday afternoon..:Smile:

So I spoke to my wife about achilles injuries last night. She was saying that a tear is harder to recover from than a rupture. With a rupture you would undergo surgery, but it's unlikely that a tear would lead to surgery, but the rehab will take longer. She did, however, say that to get back to playing professional football could take up to a year.

So I checked. Harry had surgery so he should be able to recover quicker, not slower. I then asked her why would he have been out for a year with no sign of him coming back? Her answer (which was very tongue in cheek) was that it's because she isn't in charge of his recovery!

The controversial thing she said, however, was that given the amount of long term injuries we have had she would be questioning the quality of the treatment the players are getting. Reading between the lines, she was saying that each injury in isolation might be acceptable. But taken as a whole it seems something might not be quite right if they are all taking so long to recover from.

That said, she's basing that on snippets of information she's getting from me to explain away each defeat so she's not working with the best data in the world.

Q. If you are sick but really enjoy work and your team do you go back in at the first possible time?
Q.If you are sick and work is pants surrounded by fools do you hang on with the sickness as long as poss?
This may be a regular work place issue as winning teams generally have less and faster healing injuries?

So I spoke to my wife about achilles injuries last night. She was saying that a tear is harder to recover from than a rupture. With a rupture you would undergo surgery, but it's unlikely that a tear would lead to surgery, but the rehab will take longer. She did, however, say that to get back to playing professional football could take up to a year.

So I checked. Harry had surgery so he should be able to recover quicker, not slower. I then asked her why would he have been out for a year with no sign of him coming back? Her answer (which was very tongue in cheek) was that it's because she isn't in charge of his recovery!

The controversial thing she said, however, was that given the amount of long term injuries we have had she would be questioning the quality of the treatment the players are getting. Reading between the lines, she was saying that each injury in isolation might be acceptable. But taken as a whole it seems something might not be quite right if they are all taking so long to recover from.

That said, she's basing that on snippets of information she's getting from me to explain away each defeat so she's not working with the best data in the world.

You cant just base your theory on Harry K. Could be any number of reasons he has taken longer than X,Y or Z

They haven't taken longer for the ACL's or broken legs than anyone else. They are all long term injuries. Barratt's injury is normally a career ender so he only has a slim chance anyway.

We do have a few players who make the most of injuries. In some cases only a good dose of Cypriot sunshine works. Still not sure how you can blame surgeons, physios, or strength and conditioning people for that.

Hopefully removing sauces from the breakfast table will help.

SAM Mantom is set to make his return from injury when Southend United’s under-23 side face Leyton Orient this afternoon.

More...

Back