• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
There's a long way to go yet. After an almost flawless first year in charge, Fabio Capello was brought crashing down to earth in Seville by a breath-taking Spanish side who taught him a hard lesson in what it takes to win international honours. England kept pace with the European Champions for the first 30 minutes, but then Vincente Del Bosque's team opened up the throttle and left them floundering.

Spain were mesmeric, inspired and delightful to watch. It didn't matter how closely England's midfield attempted to mark their men, the passes were fired in quickly to the preferred foot of their target and then moved on again with a single touch. The technique on display was bewildering. England have only just managed to learn a patient, two-touch game, but the Spanish are way ahead of them. Andres Iniesta and Xavi, in particular, were superb while David Villa reaffirmed his position as one of Europe's most potent frontmen with a fine performance topped by a splendid opening goal.

David Beckham's record-equaling 108th cap will not be remembered with any great fondness. Though the AC Milan midfielder was able to showcase his awesome range of passing, he'll be disappointed that an excellent Marchena clearance robbed him of an assist and that he picked up an unnecessary booking. The old school English press have been busy out-grumbling each other in their denunciations of Beckham's parity with Bobby Moore and this caution for dissent only played into their wrinkled hands.

Though it should be enough simply to acknowledge that the superior side won, there are still positives for Capello to take from the encounter. For starters, he has learned a lot more about his side than he could have gleaned from a easy 3-0 win over a European makeweight. England will only ever improve by testing themselves against the best. Capello's only two defeats have come away at France and now away in Spain. There's no shame in that, especially as they are coutnered somewhat by a victory away in Germany. The occasional humbling will soothe the unnatural hubris of anyone foolish enough to believe that merely playing in the Premier League is enough to make them a premier player.

Shaun Wright-Phillips looked eager to run at players from either flank, a tactic that wasn't always successful, but gave the Spanish something to worry about. Emile Heskey continued to prove his worth as an entirely selfless targetman, winning the high balls and always looking to play in his partner, the occasionally impressive Gabriel Agbonlahor. Glen Johnson slammed the door on Fernando Torres repeatedly, proving that he can defend as well as attack and Ashley Cole gave another energetic display on the left.

England were distinctly under-strength, but their structure remained unchanged throughout, a hallmark of life under Capello. Every player seems to be fully aware of what is expected of him, technically as well as tactically. They still seem to be grasping the concept that the other team cannot score while they pass the ball amongst themselves, though the odd relapse still crops up here and there. The Italian boss still has much to do before the aimless long punt is entirely eliminated.

Spain had none of these problems, but then with a 29 game unbeaten run behind them, it's hardly surprising. But if losing to Del Bosque's side in Seville was the price for an important lesson learned then, no matter how much it costs now, it will seem positively cheap by the time the World Cup comes around.

SURPRISE - When David Beckham threaded a delicious ball through to Carlton Cole there were a number of likely outcomes, all of which involved the floodlights being smashed out. Astonishingly though, not only did Cole round Reina, but he even put the shot on target. Such a shame then that Marchena slid in to clear it off the line.

ON FIRE - Is this the best Spanish side ever? It's certainly the best in my lifetime. I could watch them play all night. Even Marcus Senna was looking in fine fettle and he's supposed to be the lynchpin, there to allow the others to play! The technique, the composure, the skill, the belief. Oooh, it was special.

DODGY KEEPER - David James is the best English goalkeeper right now, but he's doing his best to give his rivals a chance. A simple looping ball in the first half was his to claim, but he seemed to switch off at the last second and fumbled an easy take. What's wrong with him, why can't he concentrate?

PUNTERS RANT - You could possibly have a bit of a moan at England for not being able to keep up with the Spanish, but in hindsight, this was always a big ask for them. No-one's beaten Spain in a very long time, and they were unlikely to fall to a mix'n'match English side.

MAN OF THE MATCH - It's a hard choice, but Xavi was probably the best of the Spanish midfielders overall. His passing is always impeccable, but his free-kick for the second goal would have had Beckham cooing with admiration. The ball just looped up and dropped gently into the path of Fernando Llorente, who gobbled it up. Lovely stuff.

MATCH STATS

Crowd - 42, 102
Yellow Cards - Beckham (England)
Red Cards - None
Spain -
Iker Casillas 6 (Pepe Reina 6, 45th), Sergio Ramos 7, Raul Albiol 7 (Marchena 7, 75th), Gerard Pique 6, Joan Capvevila 7 (Alvaro Arbeloa 7, 45th), Marcos Senna 8, Xabi Alonso 8, Andres Iniesta 8, Xavi 9 (Daniel Guiza 6, 85th), Fernando Torres 7 (Fernando Llorente 7, 64th), David Villa 8 (David Silva 7, 56th)
England -
David James 6 (Rob Green 6, 45th), Glen Johnson 7, Ashley Cole 7, Phil Jagielka 6 (Matthew Upson 5, 45th), John Terry 6, Michael Carrick 6, Gareth Barry 6 (Frank Lampard 6, 45th), Shaun Wright-Phillips 7, Stewart Downing 5 (David Beckham 7, 45th), Gabriel Agbonlahor 6 (Carlton Cole 6, 75th), Emile Heskey 7 (Peter Crouch 6, 45th)

Last edited:
ON FIRE - Is this the best Spanish side ever? It's certainly the best in my lifetime. I could watch them play all night. Even Marcus Senna was looking in fine fettle and he's supposed to be the lynchpin, there to allow the others to play! The technique, the composure, the skill, the belief. Oooh, it was special.

Completely agree with you there.

Spain really are one of the best teams around. I love watching them play football keeping the ball down on the ground, sublime passing with pinpoint accuracy. It was good - just a shame it was against England!!

The main difference last night was the Spanish ability to control the ball so close to their bodies. They were working in spaces of a metre or so whereas our first touch was giving our players a yard or two to run to then retrieve the ball.

I missed most of the first half but I hope that it was better than the snooze fest I endured for that second 45. Beckham was right though; that ref was getting conned left, right and centre by some well disguised dives and his inability to let the game flow. Though if it had done, we might have lost by 3 or 4...

one great run, terrible otherwise. he played too deep and hid from the ball. i actually laughed when Terry clattered him!

He did do some good tracking back too. But his play is still so one dimensional when faced against a defender with an ounce of common sense.

I'd also never noticed how dirty and snidy Arbeloa is either.

I thought little SWP had his moments. At least he was going for it and running against people. It was more than could be said for bloody Downing on the other side! He was abject against Andorra and I think last night could be the nail in his international coffin.

Were you watching the same game I was? SWP was about the only threat we had - he takes on and beats players - something Downing can only dream about. (Edit - at least we agree on that Slip, my initial question was to seany t).

I also think you're getting far too carried away with how good Spain are. England, without Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand and Walcott, were very poor indeed and I would expect 'the best team in the world' to have carved out chance after chance after chance. Unless I missed all these chances during my couple of trips to the bog, this didn't happen. They knock it about nicely without penetrating that often and look slow at the back. An England performance similar to that which we produced in Croatia would have resulted in an away win, I have no doubt about that. I really don't think there's 'a long way to go', we just need to play to our strengths.

Were you watching the same game I was? SWP was about the only threat we had - he takes on and beats players - something Downing can only dream about. (Edit - at least we agree on that Slip, my initial question was to seany t).

I also think you're getting far too carried away with how good Spain are. England, without Rooney, Gerrard, Ferdinand and Walcott, were very poor indeed and I would expect 'the best team in the world' to have carved out chance after chance after chance. Unless I missed all these chances during my couple of trips to the bog, this didn't happen. They knock it about nicely without penetrating that often and look slow at the back. An England performance similar to that which we produced in Croatia would have resulted in an away win, I have no doubt about that. I really don't think there's 'a long way to go', we just need to play to our strengths.

Well like I say I was only judging us on the second half, and my comment about SWP wasn't purely based on the England game. I've just noticed more and more that his book of ideas when faced with the last man seems to be pretty empty these days. His tracking back was good as I mentioned, and he was no worse than anyone else out there. I just think he maybe isn't the talent I first hoped he'd blossom into...

And I agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph. I thought for once Townsend got it right last night in his assessment. The match was played at 'testimonial pace' and that Spain were good, but hardly ever needed to get going.

Well like I say I was only judging us on the second half, and my comment about SWP wasn't purely based on the England game. I've just noticed more and more that his book of ideas when faced with the last man seems to be pretty empty these days. His tracking back was good as I mentioned, and he was no worse than anyone else out there. I just think he maybe isn't the talent I first hoped he'd blossom into...

And I agree wholeheartedly with your second paragraph. I thought for once Townsend got it right last night in his assessment. The match was played at 'testimonial pace' and that Spain were good, but hardly ever needed to get going.

Good call - it would have been interesting to see both teams at full strength playing at full pelt.

Even though the second period was dire, the difference was that Spain had showed towards the end of the first half that they could quite easily move up into top gear, and what a top gear it was. England never come close.

In retrospect though, I should definitely have made much more of how understrength England were.

Good call - it would have been interesting to see both teams at full strength playing at full pelt.

definitely. plus Spain were quite dirty too. If Heskey had been onside (just offside by the length of his moob!) when he was dragged down just outside the box, would have been a completely different game I reckon

Was it just me, or were you a little surprised to see a big strong man going down so easily under that challenge. I didn't mention it through lack of space, but surely he'd have been better off staying upright?

Was it just me, or were you a little surprised to see a big strong man going down so easily under that challenge. I didn't mention it through lack of space, but surely he'd have been better off staying upright?

definitely looked like he was pulled down, although seeing Heskey fall over doesn't surprise me any more.

Also, I'm fast coming to the conclusion that SWP is *****...

England's best player in the first half. Didnt give the ball away ,varied incisive and simple passing. Was causing Spain problems and got a few free kicks due to his skills. A great game all round, faded a bit half way through 2nd half, but defenitely my mom. Carrick looked way out of his depth on the other hand.

England's best player in the first half. Didnt give the ball away ,varied incisive and simple passing. Was causing Spain problems and got a few free kicks due to his skills. A great game all round, faded a bit half way through 2nd half, but defenitely my mom. Carrick looked way out of his depth on the other hand.

Wow. Does that make Ian Wright your grandad?

I've been saying it for some time now, but that Spanish team takes some beating. It's just not the sheer quality of their first team, it's the strength they have in depth that is frightening.

In goal, you have the choice of Reina and Valdes, both world class goalkeepers. In midfield, they took off Xavi and replaced him with David Silva... Away from Senna, Fabregas, Iniesta and Alonso, you have Santiago Cazorla, Diego Capel, Juaquin and Albert Riera. Up front is devastating with Torres and Villa, possibly the 2 best forwards on the planet at the moment... But you have Bojan, who's been notably brilliant for Barcelona this season, waiting in the wings to take over.

In short, they have the luxury of 2 or 3 players fit and ready for every position. We're lucky to have just one at the moment.

I thought, as far as losses go, this wasn't a bad one for England. We were outplayed for most of the 90 minutes, but broke well and SWP caused them a few problems. Both goals, I felt, were down to errors from Defenders who are outside of the first choice. For the first, Jagielka gave the ball away very cheaply and for the second, Upson left his man to contend for the ball and completely missed it.

Downing though was terrible. Anonymous for large parts, and when he did get the ball he was wasteful. The defence coped well with Spain, but looked shakey whenever anything came through the centre. Whether or not this is the cause of Ferdinand's absence or not remains to be seen, but I think do think on current form, he offers far more organisation than Terry... Not to mention defensively.

Carrick didn't do much, but this definitely wasn't the game for him. Spain's ball retention was of sheer class and he simply didn't have much of the ball to perform with.

I would agree with ESB that Spain have a deeper pool of talent to draw upon, but I still firmly believe that our best eleven can beat their best eleven. If we had Joe Cole, Theo Walcott, Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand available to replace Downing, SWP, Agbonlahor and Jagielka, it's a different game. I appreciate that Spain were also missing players but their depth seems far greater than ours as ESB points out. I would still like to see Beckham in the squad - his dead-ball delivery is still the best in the world - but Walcott has to be returned to the right flank when he's fit.

I'd have Walcott up front with Heskey, and Rooney on the bench. Beckham on the right, Cole on the left and Barry/Lampard in the middle. Defenders - not sure about right-back, but Ferdinand/Terry is first-choice, and left-back $ashley.

Subs, Gerrard, Woodgate, Green, Rooney, Wright-Phillips

I'd like to see the 4-2-3-1 formation given a run. Then you could have Heskey holding the ball up and feeding an attacking three of Rooney/Gerrard/Walcott, a midfield two of Lampard and Barry pinging the ball around while the back four holds it steady behind them. Nice and fluid and if you're protecting a lead you can drop Heskey out left, Gerrard into the centre and Walcott on the right for a nasty 4-5-1 with Rooney living off scraps.

Back