• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Longest period in a job

MK Shrimper

Striker
As a flip side to the other thread, what's your longest time in a job?

I'm in my 14th year with NR and overall apart from almost 3 years out (travelling and a **** job), I've been on the Railway since 1988.

Only 14 years to go to retirement :smile:

Ladbrokes - I did 14 years, five months and five days.

They were big on longevity at that place though; I remember being in a meeting and getting called 'the rookie' because I had only done 12 years, while the next most 'junior' had done 20 and some were nearly at the 40 year mark!

Ladbrokes - I did 14 years, five months and five days.

They were big on longevity at that place though; I remember being in a meeting and getting called 'the rookie' because I had only done 12 years, while the next most 'junior' had done 20 and some were nearly at the 40 year mark!

Yeah there's plenty of "lifers" on the Railway, despite the mess of privatisation and the continual re-orgs and redundancies. Closest you can get as a "job for life".

Yeah there's plenty of "lifers" on the Railway, despite the mess of privatisation and the continual re-orgs and redundancies. Closest you can get as a "job for life".

Good pension so I hear.

That is one of the things that concerns me at the moment...

That culture has been pretty much killed since Ladbrokes merged with Coral, but when I was there it did feel that once you'd got through the first two years, you were in for a long stint.

I've worked for 6 different companies since leaving school

Longest was for nearly 15 years - remember getting made redundant US style, and having to leave the office straight away without saying bye to anyone, or being allowed back to my desk to collect my stuff, cab* was waiting outside to take me home :-( They got rid of 25% of the staff in one day. (* actually I asked the cabbie to come back in 4 hours and I went to the local and phoned a few close colleagues and suppliers, ended up well oiled and was a bit wobbly by the time I got home)

1st job = 12 months
2nd job = 15 months
3rd job = 6 months
4th job = 14 years 7 months
5th job = 1 year 4 months
current job = 11 years 9 months

Thats over 30 years working, only been out of work for 3 months during that time since I left school. Blimey !

I've worked for 6 different companies since leaving school

Longest was for nearly 15 years - remember getting made redundant US style, and having to leave the office straight away without saying bye to anyone, or being allowed back to my desk to collect my stuff, cab* was waiting outside to take me home :-( They got rid of 25% of the staff in one day. (* actually I asked the cabbie to come back in 4 hours and I went to the local and phoned a few close colleagues and suppliers, ended up well oiled and was a bit wobbly by the time I got home)

1st job = 12 months
2nd job = 15 months
3rd job = 6 months
4th job = 14 years 7 months
5th job = 1 year 4 months
current job = 11 years 9 months

Thats over 30 years working, only been out of work for 3 months during that time since I left school. Blimey !

US style redundancies are the best.

It would be even better if they phoned you at 6am and told you not to bother coming in.

33 years in the NHS. I can take my pension from them at 55 (3 years time) if I want to :thumbsup:

Currently sitting on nearly 22 years at this job. Considering i'm only 42 that's a hell of a way to go still.

Sometimes wonder whether to jack it all in and just do something completely random, but that won't pay the bills!! :happy: :happy:

11 years with Esade Idiomas,Barcelona's leading business school.

Told them they'd go broke after I left, (ie was sacked), back in 1994.They did some years later.Schadenfreude.:smiles:

Edit.Suppose I should add that I was a freelance from 96 until earlier this year.Quite enjoyed working for myself for 21 years.:smile:

Last edited:
Back