• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Luis Boa Morte keen to be next Southend United boss

Whoever is appointed i dont care who he played for or where he is from ,i just hope to god RM chooses wisely and the appointment is the right fit for SUFC.

Maybe better for them to list those NOT interested in the job?
Am pretty sure that list would be telephone directory size.
As said, Chris Phillips has a story a day until someone is appointed, especially with little other news to report.

I know Boa from his time at Fulham.
An interesting chap and reasonably approachable, but manager at Southend?
This comes in the Campbell category of a poor fit.

He sees us as a stepping stone nothing more. Be gone in a flash if a better opportunity arose.
I don't get this argument. If a manager successfully used us as a stepping stone it would show ambition (would you rather have a man in charge with no ambition?) and would also mean we have benefited from him doing a good job.

This argument that lower league managers see Southend as a stepping stone isn't borne out by the facts.
Of the current 20 bosses in the Premier League, only three have come through the League One and two ranks: Dean Smith, Eddie Howe and Chris Wilder.
Technically, Howe isn't one of them anymore, and maybe Wilder is the only genuine bottom to top rung example.
I remember reporting on how he got lamped by a Staines player when in charge at Halifax. The joy of non-league!
If the stepping stone is to the Championship, that's not that much of a step.
Does the new man understand the limitations of lower leagues? Those from player pedigree often don't.
Garry Nelson once told me that 'name' managers mostly give lesser mortals instructions that confuse and are beyond them, and quickly get frustrated with their limitations.
As he put it: 'Any team talk I gave at Torquay started 30 minutes before kick-off. Anything before that was a waste of time'.

Back