• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

One of my mates works with his father-in-law and they got talking about Southend at a work do whilst Luke was on loan with us. Apparently he was really enjoying his spell with us and was hoping we'd offer him a contract when his at West Brom ran out. Since then though he's signed a new deal which would surely mean we'd need to pay a fee to sign him which would rule this out IMO. Did seem a silly decision considering he's never going to get anywhere near the first team there.

One of my mates works with his father-in-law and they got talking about Southend at a work do whilst Luke was on loan with us. Apparently he was really enjoying his spell with us and was hoping we'd offer him a contract when his at West Brom ran out. Since then though he's signed a new deal which would surely mean we'd need to pay a fee to sign him which would rule this out IMO. Did seem a silly decision considering he's never going to get anywhere near the first team there.

Think it was an option in his contract that West Brom took up, so Daniels had no say in it.

I work for the Club, I know nothing of this. Therefore your source may be as reliable as me, and on this subject Im not reliable at all.

What I do understand is that all player negotiations are mediated via their representative, therefore it is unlikely that Luke would have agreed and then his representative then disagree. It would more likely be that he may have intimated an interest in joining Southend but his representative may believe that there are other options that are worth exploring first.

I think West Brom invoked the option of another year from Daniels rather like we have with certain players. That may be because Clarke has taken over from Hodgson and he will want to assess his playing staff.

Can't see that being true mate, he is under contract at West Brom and has been playing games during their pre season. It's normally an agent who discusses things initially so I doubt things ever got as far as Daniels, if we had been promoted diff story we probably would of been able to pay the wages but on the basis we have stayed in league 2 I dont see there being any truth in this

I heard we offered a contract to Luke Daniels and he agreed to it but his agent said no

Can't see us getting him back in any capacity, unless Sturrock really struggles to find a keeper. Can't see the benefit of loan keepers if I'm honest. Im my opinion it's the main position on the pitch you really want someone that is your own player, if only to get a bit of continuity between the sticks. So many great keepers took a while to get going at their clubs, would much rather get someone permanent in. Of course if it was Daniels fantastic but can't see it happening.

Can't see us getting him back in any capacity, unless Sturrock really struggles to find a keeper. Can't see the benefit of loan keepers if I'm honest. Im my opinion it's the main position on the pitch you really want someone that is your own player, if only to get a bit of continuity between the sticks. So many great keepers took a while to get going at their clubs, would much rather get someone permanent in. Of course if it was Daniels fantastic but can't see it happening.

I don't have a problem with getting a loan keeper in at all as long as he is of good quality. Daniels was IMHO the best goalkeeper we had in a Blues shirt last season and if it was a straight choice between getting Daniels back on loan and signing Smith permanently then it's an absolute no-brainer......

I agree Daniels was the best keeper we had last season, but I can't help but feel our chopping and changing in that department may have cost us a little bit. I'd rather we had a goalkeeper and stuck with them for the season, if that was to be Daniels as long as it's for the whole season I wouldn't mind. I just feel that continuity in goal is very important.

Benefit for my mind is we get a class keeper we could probably never afford to sign on the cheap. If he gets a long term injury we can pack him back to WBA. For my mind it's a perfect deal for us.

Benefit for my mind is we get a class keeper we could probably never afford to sign on the cheap. If he gets a long term injury we can pack him back to WBA. For my mind it's a perfect deal for us.

Yeah I see where your coming from, guess I just don't like to see us rely on loan players.

Back