• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Luke Hyam signs

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United are close to completing a swoop for former Ipswich Town midfielder Luke Hyam.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to watch here is the length of the deal.

We've been handing out a lot of multi-year deals. Will we now switch to single year deals as we round out the squad?

Hope it is 2 years with an option on a third year. Luke supported Ipswich as a lad and started playing for them at age 11. He said he and his girlfriend were committed to make a move and it would be great if they can move to the Essex Riviera.. His first knee injury following a kick saw him out for over 4 months followed not long after by an ankle ligament injury blocking a shot in Training. The knee injury required surgery but all should be good now and Luke got playing again at the end of last season.
He has considerable experience at a Championship level playing against Villa , Forest and Middlesborough more recently. A totally committed player who says the injuries taught him to respect and understand his body better. I dont think this will hold him back , neither should the memory of the leg breaking tackle against the Brentford player and his subsequent sending off.
Another potentially great signing, cant wait to see him get stuck in, only 26, Well done the new Recruitment set up and Sir Chris and Ron, and a warm welcome to Luke , assuming he comes, and I hope he enjoys his football even more and doesnt suffer the previous bad luck

Given his injury record a two year deal looks a gamble, but he seems to have the quality so let's hope it pays off.

Squad taking shape very nicely and early on in pre season! So refreshing

We seem to be tying our hands for 2019/20.

There won't be much flexibility to reshape the squad next off-season if it doesn't work (or indeed if we get promoted and these players aren't deemed Championship quality).

Hopefully it all works out and they can all star in the Championship for us - Hyam's played at that level before so that's maybe not so much of a reach.

Welcome Luke!

Looks like a good addition to me and we now have some great competition for places in central midfield.

Still need another striker and a winger, I believe, to give full competition for those places. If Kiernan does sadly retire, and Ferdinand not be in the picture then we could do with another centre back too - but that really will depend on reaching severance agreements with Kiernan and Ferdy.

Overall though we are looking in great shape so far!

Welcome Luke!

Looks like a good addition to me and we now have some great competition for places in central midfield.

Still need another striker and a winger, I believe, to give full competition for those places. If Kiernan does sadly retire, and Ferdinand not be in the picture then we could do with another centre back too - but that really will depend on reaching severance agreements with Kiernan and Ferdy.

Overall though we are looking in great shape so far!

We'd still have Turner, White, Lennon, Kyprianou plus Dieng can play centre-back. Add in the u23s and that should be plenty of bodies at centre-back even if Kiernan and Anton retire.

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Sounds like the chap has had some terrible luck with the injuries/tackles ........... and let's hope that is all in the past.

I would look to him to have that extra bit of class that comes from playing higher up the divisions.

Looking forward to the pre-season friendlies and seeing how the players fit together.
:Thumbs up:

I sit next to an Ipswich chap at work. His assessment wasn't too glowing regarding attitude, but more promising regarding ability.

Came through youth team with a fair bit of hype, which the player bought into, exact (from memory) quote was "he was everything that's wrong with football, getting a decent contract with a lot of money, thinking he's made it before he'd kicked a ball. And his attitude off the pitch was poor. Suffered an crisis of identity on the pitch, wanting to be a skilful box to box midfielder and a hard man to boot, it's this latter piece that seemed to backfire, seeing him miss games through injury and bookings. No doubt he has talent, and he seems to have grown a bit following injuries and thinks he's more than enough ability for our level".

So fingers crossed for us, and for Luke. Hope he does well.

I sit next to an Ipswich chap at work. His assessment wasn't too glowing regarding attitude, but more promising regarding ability.

Came through youth team with a fair bit of hype, which the player bought into, exact (from memory) quote was "he was everything that's wrong with football, getting a decent contract with a lot of money, thinking he's made it before he'd kicked a ball. And his attitude off the pitch was poor. Suffered an crisis of identity on the pitch, wanting to be a skilful box to box midfielder and a hard man to boot, it's this latter piece that seemed to backfire, seeing him miss games through injury and bookings. No doubt he has talent, and he seems to have grown a bit following injuries and thinks he's more than enough ability for our level".

So fingers crossed for us, and for Luke. Hope he does well.

Sounds like he could be the new Phil Gridelet:Smile2:

Back